A small but "focused" collection

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Darksev

A small but "focused" collection

Post by Darksev »

Been back in a slipjoint mood the last week or so, and spent some time fondling my collection the other day, so I figured I'd post up my "8" frame display case.

If y'all remember a while back I was trying to catalog just how many knives had been built on the 4" standard stockman frame by schrade and it's various enterprises. Part of that process was formalizing a decent little collection I had been stockpiling over the years. Here's the case as it stands:
IMG_20170826_103426_776.jpg
from the top left down:
1976 - matched serial numbers of the Parker-Frost American Eagle/founders knives
1978 - Red Bone 1978-2 Parker-Frost "Bison" (I have a green one too, but that's a carry knife :D)
1970's - CM-1 "Kentucky Rifle" (Standard grade)
1975 - Unserialized 88LH "Texas Longhorn"
1976 - S.W.Cut DB1 "Daniel Boone"
Mid 90's - SK89 "Skoal" version of the 89OT
1996 - Ingersoll Rand "125Years" Commemorative SFO
1980's - Blue Delrin "Farmers Pride" FFA SFO
1970's - "Old Crafty" Craftsman 9547
Late 70's - Frontier 4431 "Powderhorn Stag" delrin

Right side, top down:
Post 1973 - "Open Stock" 881 (Post Walden stamp, straight pull)
2002/3 - "Founders Edition" 881 (Schrade+ Blades)
Post 1973 - "Open Stock" 881Y
1973-75 - Post Walden (NY USA) era 880 w/Matchstriker pull
1950's - Walden stamped, Jigged bone 880 KON-KAV with dual finished blades (mark side of main blade is polished, everything else is glazed finished The oldest, and Probably the second rarest thing in the display)
Pre-1973 - Walden Stamped 8OT - Matchstriker pull
1970's - NY USA era Production 8OT
1974 - G.D.O.T. "Grand Dad's Old Timer"
2002-4 - OTC80 "Old Timer Classic"
1983-86 - "Heritage" Green Bone 8801
Pre-1973 - (probably the rarest thing in my collection) very early, walden/stainless stamped 885UH Uncle Henry with Nickel silver milled liners
1970's - NY USA era production 885UH
1985 - "Scrimshaw" SC505 - Weasel and Rat

I have one more spot in this case. Dunno what's gonna go in there yet, but it depends on what I find. In a perfect world it would be either a bone 8OT, or better yet an old Cut Co 8813 or 8833. Maybe one of the 5 variations on the 100th anniversary knives that never got an official release.

Some extra pics of the rarer ones:
Schrade880small.jpg
uhliners_small.jpg
uhstamps.jpg
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A small but "focused" collection

Post by glennbad »

Outstanding collection, thank you for sharing it!
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Darksev,
I have never been a fanboy of the Stockman pattern but your fine collection of large Stockman knives has given me a rather large shove in the opposite direction.
I do see the attraction now, and I think it was your use of the word "Focused" that created a new pathway in my thinking.

That's a fine set you have there.
Thanks!
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Adam, good to "see" your smiling face again. You're making some very good progress on those Schrades & clones. I hope everything is well with you and yours. As long as your here, don't neglect to sign up for the December giveaways (there are three of them).
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
truck

Post by truck »

Well I *am* a fanboy of the stockman pattern, and I must say that collection stirs my manhood. :shock:
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Love those Schrades! My favorite manufacturer. Those stockmans look great assembled all together like that. I have them all, however mine are in a lot of different display cabinets.

Thank you for sharing.

Tom
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

You've got some beauties in there! And by the way, thanks for sharing that list of 8OT's in that other thread. I've used that for reference more than a few times. Great work!
- Jason
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Nice collection, Adam. I think there is a lot to be said for a focused collection, large or small. Schrade is one of my favorite brands, and that is a fine group of stockman knives.
Mel
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I like it! What better pattern to focus on than the best one. Your etched 880 is absolutely killer.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Wow Adam, that's a very nice collection you have there. I like your wooden display case as well. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Great collection. I would not necessarily call your collection small.
I like the way you have everything cataloged. Nice storage unit too.

Bob
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A fine collection and display. Inspiring as I just recently became interested stockmans.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote Chase: "I have them all".
Tom do you know what the total number of knives you have is ?
How many are not Schrade related ?
kj
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

KJ

I have more than 2500 knives but a little less than 3000. They are mostly Schrade, somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000. I have some models where there are two or more of the same knives, however, I have them displayed in the Store Displays as well as other displays. In addition I have additional knives in the cabinets and drawers.

I also have a lot of the Schrade Knives in the wooden displays that I do not have enough room to be able to display them all. These I just keep boxed up and only pull them out on occasion just to be sure they are being maintained properly.

I have quite a few Tactical Knives such as Gerber, leatherman, and Benchmade...although these are only about 100 or so. The remaining balance of my knives include about 300+ Canal Street Knives and the New Maher & Grosh patterns. Then there are a few odds & ends..Ulster, Kingston, Camillus, and Buck.

It takes a lot of time to keep up with all of them but something I truly enjoy. In addition to the knives and display cabinets, I have several filing cabinets worth of Schrade information direct from the factory. I rarely find the time to be able to assemble all of the paperwork like I want to, however, I will get it done! I have promised some folks to get them copies of some of the more rare documents so that they may be preserved for historical purposes. I just need to be able to make the time to get them all scanned and saved to discs.

Thank you for inquiring!

Tom
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I do own a Schrade Factory Collection PROTOTYPE 8 OT that was never produced.

There are no Tang stamps
Brass Bolsters
Brass Liners
Brass Shield
Long Match Strike
OT Delrin Sawcut Handles

I will get a picture posted as soon as I get the opportunity!

Tom
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

The cases I use for all my knives are made by Southern Star, they make really nice walnut cases here in the USA. I've got a bunch of them

Prior to this project "collecting" didn't have a massive appeal to me. I would just buy what snagged my interest at any given point in time (leading to alot of knives that I traded away or sold off after a couple months after I lost interest.) The Schrade catalog is just so massive, that trying to have everything just wasn't reasonable for me.

Eventually, it occurred to me that my favorite pattern, the one that pops into my head when I hear the word "pocketknife" was a stockman. My family has always been a "Schrade" family. The first knife I ever owned (and still have) was a Schrade 108OT (junior stockman) that belonged to my grandfather (mom's dad), my Grandad (dad's dad) carried a 34OT for decades and that eventually came to me as well. The 8OT speaks to me just like those smaller stockmen spoke to my predecessors. I started wondering just how many "versions" of that venerable knife there were. Boy, what a mistake! ::mdm::

Currently, my "list" contains something like 125+ variations on the same frame. I seem to add another one every couple months, mostly thanks to watching what everyone here posts. One day, when I've got plenty of disposable income, I want all of them. Maybe I'll write a guidebook, full of pictures and history ::hmm::

For now, I'll just focus on good, clean examples of what I can get, when I can get it.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks for sharing. It's always interesting to me why people collect what they do and to hear there goals.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Chase wrote:KJ

I have more than 2500 knives but a little less than 3000. They are mostly Schrade, somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000.

Tom
Can you spell "obsessive compulsive"? :lol: :lol:

::poke:: ::tease::

But seriously, folks. Who among us is not? I have right at 100 Camillus 72s (and clones) and that is a single pattern by a brand who like Schrade made a boat load of patterns over the years. I guess I shouldn't throw stones, even in jest. And then there's Lyle and his Farmers jacks so I don't feel real bad. I justify it by saying, at least mine were most all relatively inexpensive.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Jerry-lol

It is a bit compulsive...But I enjoy it very much. I wish I could say that mine were mostly inexpensive, however, I have paid some significant prices for some of my Rare pieces...yet I am not sorry that I did.

I have been fortunate enough to put together a fairly impressive collection with some very Rare pieces...some that only one piece was made, others that are very scarce. In any event, it's my hobby and I enjoy it, like a lot of other folks here on AAPK enjoy their gatherings!

Tom
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Wow Tom, 2000 schrades! That must be quite a sight to see.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Wow Tom, 2000 schrades! That must be quite a sight to see"
It is impressive. Somewhere here Tom has posted pictures that show many of his knives.
Tom, thank you for the brief description of your collection. You have one of the best/most complete Schrade collections anywhere. It is a significant display of Schrade history. One that hopefully will remain intact longer than you.
kj
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

KJ,

The funny part is I don't usually sell any knives, and I do on occasion swap some stuff with folks. I am mainly just a buyer and like to add them to my Schrade Room. I can only hope that one of my two grandsons garner enough interest to keep the collection together long after I am gone. As I stated in the earlier post, I also have quite a Library of Schrade documents that enhance my collection as well. These are now historical documents that no one else has.

My oldest grandson, Jacob/7 Years Old, loves to spend time in the knife room whenever he comes here but my youngest, Liam/3 years old, isn't old enough yet.

We'll see what happens when the time comes!

Tom
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Here are some pictures of the Schrade Factory Collection "PROTOTYPE" 8 OT that never went into production

Tom
Attachments
8OT Prototype-1.jpg
8OT Prototype-2.jpg
8OT Prototype-3.jpg
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

Factory collection stuff always amazes me. There was some really cool stuff in those vaults - thanks for sharing it!
truck

Post by truck »

There are a lot of amazing replies in this thread. Please keep it coming. Here is a photo of my collection of various Schrades, mostly Old Timers and Uncle Henrys. I've added a few pieces since this was taken. But you can see I have a long ways to go.
Attachments
IMG_1430.JPG
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”