national blade knives?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
ricknra

national blade knives?

Post by ricknra »

i bought a knife a few years ago, its a really nice knife bone handles the blade is inscribed with a tall ship and star of india above the ship. the tang stamp says national blade surgical steel japan. the handle on one side has a scrimshaw scene of a ship "i assume its the star of india" and its signed joe luiz. i found him in newport rhode island he owned a shop he was a well known scrimshaw artist who had died about 12-13 years ago now. what i want to know is, is there anyone who watches this blog who might know about national blade?
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: national blade knives?

Post by Railsplitter »

I don't know anything about National Blade but I have a similar knife. You can see the tang stamp if you look closely. Click photos to enlarge. I believe that Charles W. Morgan is the name of the ship but I'm not sure about that.
Attachments
IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1570.JPG
IMG_1566.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Goins lists a NATIONAL PRODUCTS MFG. CO. and dates it to about 1917 in Newark, NJ. There is no other helpful info given.
I am not sure this info relates but it is all I have.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I have mine listed in my records as a "Parker" National Blade but I don't think Parker's name is stamped anywhere on the knife. I think the seller I bought it from sold it as a Parker knife. Maybe these are Jim Parker creations?
Rick T.

Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I don't know about the knife maker, but the Charles W Morgan is the only surviving original American whaling ship left in existence. The Morgan was built in the 1840s. She was rebuilt a few years ago at the Mystic Seaport museum in Mystic, CT and that is where she stays. If any of you ever get up that way the Mystic Seaport Museum is a great place to visit if you and/or your family likes seafaring history. It is a restored small village with several working old sailing ships you can go on including the Charles W Morgan, and some shops and demonstrations of lost arts such as making rope the way they did hundreds of years ago. Mystic is also where the Northeast Cutlery Collector's Association holds their annual two day knife show around May 1st every year. I think this knife was made for sale at the Mystic Seaport and likely to raise money for the restoration of the Charles W Morgan which took several years and lots of money.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Anecdotal at best, but "National Blade" causes me to think "Bruce Voyles".

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Anecdotal at best, but "National Blade" causes me to think "Bruce Voyles".

Charlie Noyes
Me too.
Roger
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Or, maybe that was "American Blade" as in American Blade Collectors Association.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Maybe,both used Parker knives.
Roger
ricknra

Post by ricknra »

how do i add a photo of the knife? its a really nice knife and i want to show a picture of it. its scrimshawed and has the same type of etching on the blade but its the star of india and the scrimshaw is by joe luiz
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I would love to see a picture. The tutorial in this link might help you get er done. Click on the pictures for a better enlarged view.
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=50258
Rick T.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Here's one that I found a few years ago, but the scrimshaw is pretty well worn off. Is it considered scrimshaw if it isn't etched or carved deeply? cheers
Attachments
National Blade Japan (7).JPG
National Blade Japan (6).JPG
National Blade Japan (2).JPG
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Lawrence wrote:Here's one that I found a few years ago, but the scrimshaw is pretty well worn off. Is it considered scrimshaw if it isn't etched or carved deeply? cheers
That knife is extremely reminiscent of Jim Parker. I'd say it had Jim Parker written all over it.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I agree with Ray, 99% sure it is Parker.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Larence, To answer your question about scrimshaw, I would call your knife scrimshawed. Scrimshaw is made by just using a sharpe pointed tool, like a needle or really sharp awl, then india ink applied , then wiped off so the ink just stays in the scratches. so if used a lot it could be worn off in time. Horn or ivory are the most common material used to scrimshaw on. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

100% Parker.
kj
ricknra

Post by ricknra »

[image][/image][image][/image]
ricknra wrote:i bought a knife a few years ago, its a really nice knife bone handles the blade is inscribed with a tall ship and star of india above the ship. the tang stamp says national blade surgical steel japan. the handle on one side has a scrimshaw scene of a ship "i assume its the star of india" and its signed joe luiz. i found him in newport rhode island he owned a shop he was a well known scrimshaw artist who had died about 12-13 years ago now. what i want to know is, is there anyone who watches this blog who might know about national blade?
15225329558861543230302.jpg
ricknra

Post by ricknra »

[image][/image]
ricknra wrote:i bought a knife a few years ago, its a really nice knife bone handles the blade is inscribed with a tall ship and star of india above the ship. the tang stamp says national blade surgical steel japan. the handle on one side has a scrimshaw scene of a ship "i assume its the star of india" and its signed joe luiz. i found him in newport rhode island he owned a shop he was a well known scrimshaw artist who had died about 12-13 years ago now. what i want to know is, is there anyone who watches this blog who might know about national blade?
knifes.jpg
Butch53pig

Post by Butch53pig »

I just acquired a National Blade with Siren etched on the blade and scrimshaw bone handle, a very nice looking knife. At first sight I figured that it was a Parker, despite what people say about Parker I have 6 different patterns all are bone 4 different names on the tang and I like them! At least they're not made in China. Some day they'll be collectable. Just my opinion. Butch
ricknra

Post by ricknra »

parker knife.jpg
wow it took 6 years to find this again and finally a picture, it is a national blade not american blade and it is a parker, parker\case had quite a few knife makers over in japan in the 80's this is just one. i'll have to figure out a close up of the tang stamp and the scrimshaw with signature, but everything i found on luiz was he was one of the top scrimshanders of new port and the entire east coast but he's not around anymore
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Congrats on your find ricknra. ::nod:: ::tu::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”