Knives incorporating coins? "Lucky Farthing" knife, 1932

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Iain1211

Knives incorporating coins? "Lucky Farthing" knife, 1932

Post by Iain1211 »

I picked this up for a few pounds at a flea market recently. It's a Lucky Farthing knife, with a George V, 1932 farthing. A British farthing is a quarter of a penny in old money, written (¼d). Pre 1971 there were 240 pennies to the pound, so a farthing was 1/960 of a pound sterling. Very logical!
The coin is bronze, and the knife, Sheffield steel. Love the Richards brand lamp-post tang. Are there are coin knife equivalents out there in other counties, I wonder?
Iain
Attachments
ll.JPG
lf1.JPG
lf2.JPG
lf3.JPG
lf5.JPG
knife7knut

Re: Knives incorporating coins? "Lucky Farthing" knife, 1932

Post by knife7knut »

I have a near identical one except for the date on the coin;mine is dated 1948.
Attachments
RichardsPennyFarthingKnife 001.jpg
RichardsPennyFarthingKnife 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Iain1211

Post by Iain1211 »

Nice one! When I first got it, I didn't think it was very practical as a knife because of the way the blade doesn't fold away fully, but actually it snaps in tight against the coin and is a handy little knife.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

knife7knut wrote:I have a near identical one except for the date on the coin;mine is dated 1948.
I think you have at least one of every knife known to Man... ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

XX Case XX wrote: I think you have at least one of every knife known to Man... ::nod::
I'm trying but haven't quite achieved that........yet! lol Thanks for the kind words.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Iain1211 wrote:I picked this up for a few pounds at a flea market recently. It's a Lucky Farthing knife, with a George V, 1932 farthing. A British farthing is a quarter of a penny in old money, written (¼d). Pre 1971 there were 240 pennies to the pound, so a farthing was 1/960 of a pound sterling. Very logical!
The coin is bronze, and the knife, Sheffield steel. Love the Richards brand lamp-post tang. Are there are coin knife equivalents out there in other counties, I wonder?
Iain
Not a coin Lain, but 1g of 999.9 gold within my ole Swiss Army Knife.
One Gram of golds melt value at today's (12/06/17) latest gold price index is $40.66 usd = £30.66.
Or = 1,4716.8 Pre1971 Hay Pennies? (Makes it sound as if I have more by using this equivalency valuation). ::nod::
Feel free to correct me if my valuation equivalencies are incorrect.
This is the only Gold I own. I am a very wealthy man. ::ds::
Attachments
IMG_1266 (1).JPG
IMG_1271.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Iain1211

Post by Iain1211 »

Wow that's some seriously impressive bling there! ::tu:: very nice. :)
Rannard

Post by Rannard »

RICHARDS LUCKY FARTHING KEY RING KNIFE

Here is another Richards key ring knife. In contrast to the one in the earlier post, it is the coin that has been gold plated, rather than the body. The body is stainless steel with engine turned decoration. The blade has the usual Richards, Sheffield, England on the tang, together with their lamp standard trademark. One rivet attaches the spring, one end of it resting on the central rivet, the other on the blade.

The coin is a British farthing, 1/4 of the value of an old penny, 960 to the pound Sterling. It has around a third of the gold plating remaining and has very crisp embossing, so in all probability was never in circulation. The chances are Richards went to their bank for some freshly minted ones, for their appearance and ease of plating. The coin is dated 1952, the year George VI died. The new Queen's head appeared on farthings in 1953. The last was struck in 1956 and it was demonetarised on 1st January 1961. Its wren, the smallest British bird, on the back is very charming and from a 1936 design.

Without the frame holding the coin the knife would not have much of a handle so it serves a practical purpose besides decoration. It also gives the knife a key shape.

17 February 2022
Attachments
Richards lucky farthing George VI head.jpg
Richards lucky farthing wren.jpg

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”