Ivory Veteran Damascus Bullet Knife value?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
chipper01work

Ivory Veteran Damascus Bullet Knife value?

Post by chipper01work »

I have a Remington 2008 bullet knife it is RB477-D (veteran) with Damascus blades and Mammoth Ivory scales. The scales are pure without staining. They look more like elephant ivory than mammoth, as mammoth seems to have staining. It is in mint condition and has the original box and paperwork. The serial number is 019 and I think it is an error knife too. The small blade has the tang date of 2009 but the knife is a 2008 model.
Any Idea if there is a good collector demand for this knife? You can't sell it on eBay so pricing is difficult for me to determine.
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
DSC06621.JPG
DSC06624.JPG
DSC06625.JPG
espn77

Re: Ivory Veteran Damascus Bullet Knife value?

Post by espn77 »

Nice looking knife. I don't know about it's value but I like it ::tu::
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

This knife (#158/220) was listed for $236.00 just a few days ago. It is re-listed, and active now for $205.00
Everything is the same as yours except the scales, and a higher serial number.

IMHO yours is a more desirable knife but Remington (in general) does not have that broad audience that many of the other brands enjoy.
I couldn't help you name a price but I can also state that it is a lovely piece, and you should be able to find that special buyer for it because it is so nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REMINGTON-RB47 ... 2539929140?
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
chipper01work

Post by chipper01work »

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have another question though. I've seen other Veteran Bullet knives from the same year with Damascus blades and they usually refer to xxx/220 as a serial number. Would that be 220 Damascus bladed knifes in all scale materials or in each? If in all, there can't be but a handful of them out there with Ivory scales. I've scoured the internet for months and the only other one I've seen is on this forum near the bottom of the page under the Ivory Remington post. The poster says it is elephant ivory but I'm betting it is mammoth since it is a 2008 Bullet Veteran but does not have the model number and the serial number of it is 000 :shock: :shock:
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I am betting you are correct BUT 2008 was before the Elephant Ivory ban, and it could just be that IF remington was making different handles in that series it is possible that E. Ivory was one of the options. Especially with 000 as that knife.
ESPN may know the real answer.

By the way... Welcome to the forum!
You are now officially hooked!

Here's the sign at my city's limits... ::facepalm::
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (11.3 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
chipper01work

Post by chipper01work »

Yeah I guess it could be elephant ivory too. Wonder why no model number on that knife and the triple zero serial number? Could it be a prototype? It is a really sweet knife with thin blades and a scary edge (at least on mine). Thanks for the warm welcome too!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Oh, you mean this one? Yeah, I bought it last August on eBay for $105.50. Honestly, I don't know for a fact that it's elephant ivory, but I have many examples of both mammoth and elephant ivory to compare it to, and to my admittedly amateur, untrained eye, it looks more like elephant than mammoth. It could be mammoth, I'm not claiming it's not, but it looks more like elephant to me when compared to other samples of both elephant and mammoth ivory.

At least you now know two things more than when you started this thread: 1) despite the rules, laws and what people want you to believe, ivory can be, currently is and in all likelihood will continue to be bought and sold on eBay all the time, albeit illegally, and, 2) the "value" of a similar knife to yours (remember: the true value of a knife is only the amount that someone is willing to pay for it, not what is printed in the so-called price guides.)
P8130369.JPG
P8130371.JPG
P8130372.JPG
Welcome to AAPK!

Hope this helps.

Aloha,
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's some info from Remington on the 2008 veteran.
https://www.remington.com/news/2008/rem ... rings-2008
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
chipper01work

Post by chipper01work »

QTCut ,
Glad you showed up with your knife. Thanks for the input and welcome The only reason I think mine is mammoth is there is a little piece of paper in the box with info on mammoth ivory. Like I said in my first post, mine looks more like elephant ivory to me too. Mine is the same color as yours in the photos (my lighting was bad when I took the pics). There is a good chance that whatever they are they may have came from the same tusk! $105 seems like an awesome deal for one on eBay since most ivory knifes that slip through go for quite a bit more than that. I'm not sure I even want to sell, I am looking for information for now. My knife came from a collection of 10 bullet knifes (all modern) I bought locally from an individual who has about 200 knifes, 175 bayonets, and 400 old Winchester rifles and it is all nice stuff.

gsmith,

Thanks a bunch for the link!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

chipper01work wrote:$105 seems like an awesome deal for one on eBay since most ivory knifes that slip through go for quite a bit more than that
Yup, gotta agree with ya there...I could hardly believe my luck when I "won" it for that much as I had expected and was prepared to pay quite a bit more for it. I love ivory handled knives!

The one question you raised about mine not having a pattern number tang stamp is still a mystery. My best guess is that the 000 serial number may have been used to designate either a prototype or a factory sample. ::shrug::

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Who made these ivory handled "Remington" knives ? Bear MFG ?
The Made in USA Remington knives were made by Camillus up to 2007. Are the USA Remingtons made from 2008-on of similar build quality to the Camillus ones ?
I collect ivory knives both elephant & mammoth. Mammoth tusk that has not been stained by minerals looks just like elephant ivory and a microscope is needed to be certain which you are looking at.
I try to avoid the "ivory" that is reconstituted ivory dust from the cutting room mixed with epoxy. It lacks grain but 'real' ivory sometimes has very little grain depending on how it was cut.
kj
chipper01work

Post by chipper01work »

Well I'm a greenhorn at these knives and don't know who made them for Remington. I am not a greenhorn to knives in general though. I like quality knives and my daily carrier for the last ten years has been a Case 6143 Barlow (from the 1940's-1960 era) my back up carrier is an AG Russell lock back. I will also be taking delivery of my first Randall model 1-8 in a couple months that I ordered 4 years ago. This little Remington is very high quality and the Ivory is not reconstituted on it but I don't know who made it.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”