Looking for knife mechanics that work with stone for folders or fixed blade for handles

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
buddyie22

Looking for knife mechanics that work with stone for folders or fixed blade for handles

Post by buddyie22 »

Would lile to talk with knife mechanics that are currently or have in the past worked with stone for handles-on folders or fixed blades. You can e mail me or PM Me ,or we can talk through this post either way would be fine. Others may be interested also. ::handshake::
Honey do you have your pocket knife ? Do I have my pants on?
americanedgetech

Re: Looking for knife mechanics that work with stone for folders or fixed blade for handles

Post by americanedgetech »

Just to spark interest... What type of stone do you have in mind?

Are you thinking about a working knife or a display piece?
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
buddyie22

Re: Looking for knife mechanics that work with stone for folders or fixed blade for handles

Post by buddyie22 »

Hi I have several pieces of natural stone that are finished on one side was just wondering if they could be used on a fixed blades or folders I have seen some high-end knives having natural stone handles ::shrug:: Hi I have several pieces of natural stone that are finished on one side was just wondering if they could be used on a fixed blades or folders I have seen some high-end knives having natural stone handles
buddyie22

Post by buddyie22 »

Sorry about the repeat thread.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

http://redrummdknives.blademakers.com/

Check out Michael Hoover at the link above. He used to participate here several years ago but hasn't been on AAPK for a long time now. He does excellent work. I've got a Case trapper he rehandled stashed somewhere.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
americanedgetech

Drop dead gorgeous... I hope it is alright to post his image.
Attachments
Image_Main.jpg
Ken Mc.

buddyie22

Post by buddyie22 »

Great looking knife ,the link was very informative and cool to see guys for the interest and help.
americanedgetech

Most of what I do daily is setting lines in repairs or new builds (boats). There are two ways to KNOW that your line is straight/uniform. First is by feel. You can feel things that the eye can not see.
Second method is reflected light.
Light does not lie when it come to flaws.

Looking at that knife in the image the light is dead even across the stone, and the bolsters. If there is a flaw in that knife, it certainly is NOT in the finish.
Ken Mc.

buddyie22

Post by buddyie22 »

Answer to your question,I have come across a few examples of finished natural stone. Was thinking about a handle for a fixed blade. Just a thought though. If there are other members interested in the natural stone we could talk trade with other handle material etc. I can send pics and descriptions if your interested. Cutting, shapeing,grinding ,polishing stone maybe a little to involved for me at this time. Thanks again! ::handshake::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Stone would be tough material to start making handles with. Probably better if a person gets proficient with easier to work with materials and perfect their technique with wood or bone before moving to stone.

Think through your technique for drilling and pinning the bone as well as gluing and hafting the handles to the bolsters. Those techniques will be most important!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
americanedgetech

I can only imagine the nightmares involved.

Stone is split or cut using feathers, and wedges, and peening a pin is virtually the same process.
There are softer stone samples to use but still... It's got to be on top of the list in difficulty.
Attachments
download.jpg
download (1).jpg
Ken Mc.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

In this case I would not peen the pins with the stone handle on the liner. I would drill my pin holes in the handles and I would mill out a recess on the inside the liner and peen the end of the pin by laying it on a stiddy or some other hard surface with a hole for the pen to protrude through. File or sand the peened end flush with the liner so it does not impede the movement of the blade, this is necessary where the tang moves against the liner. It needs to be flush there or blade will rub when opening and closing. If this is difficult to do a person could solder pins to the inside of the liner.

With the pins now securely attached to the liner I would put my stone handle on the pins sticking through the holes in the handle. I would probably glue the handle as well. After the glue is dry I would use a pin spinner and spin a head on the handle pins. That way the pin is attached on the inside by solder or by peening; the handle is attached by glue and pins, but the head is formed by the pin spinner and there is no impact to the stone handle in the process.

I haven’t done a stone handle using this method but I am quite certain this method would work. It would be best if you have your stone handle perfectly hafted prior to attaching it to the liner. Otherwise I imagine it would be difficult to remove the excess stone without removing the bolsters.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
americanedgetech

Now I have to look up Pin Spinning, and where to get a spinner ::tu::
Ken Mc.

buddyie22

Post by buddyie22 »

Thanks for the info guys,your probably right this is not a project for a beginner.I may take a peak at it sometime in the future. ::dang::

Return to “Custom Knives”