Novelty Knife Company?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
woodwalker

Novelty Knife Company?

Post by woodwalker »

Bought this strange looking pocket knife in the dollar bin at my local antique store. Bought it mainly just to research it. I came across novelty knife company on the internet. There are no markings on the knife. Is it Cell? Anyone know anything about these? One blade is broken. If its cell, is it gassing? Thanks.
Attachments
20171111_110938.jpg
20171111_110752.jpg
mrwatch

Re: Novelty Knife Company?

Post by mrwatch »

here is my notes.

NOVCO
Goins says was a mark used by Novelty Cutlery of Canton, Ohio, 1917 - 1948.

1917-1948. Used by Novelty Cutlery, Canton, Ohio.

N.C. CO. Canton O. 1879-1948. Used by Novelty Cutlery, Canton Ohio.

Founded in 1879 by Augusts Vignos. Lost right arm in Civil War. Farmer, Janitor, Postmaster of Canton. Novelty became famous for "transplant-handled" knives which were invented by Henry and Reuben Landis also of Canton.

Cutlery was at 67 Bar Street in 1910, later moving to 515 McGregor Avenue in 1928. Vignos died in 1925 and the firm passed to son Alfred. Stopped making knives in 1948. (Information from Goins).
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Thank you mrwatch. I am not sure if it is an actual Novelty Knife Company knife or not. It looked similar to the ones on the net. Thank you for your information and time. Appreciate ya.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I would say the handles are shrinking, and decomposing but it is hard to tell from the pictures.
Under magnification you will see crazing or cracking all throughout the handles if they are actively decomposing. Maybe more so in localized areas.

What I have found in just a short while of learning all of this is you might find a celluloid handle knife in shiny/good condition. This MAY be because the knife is gassing, and the owner cleaned it up some or enough to sell it or move it along.

If I see shrinkage at all on celluloid I avoid that knife completely. Any knife that is shrinking IS gassing. It may not be severe or dramatic gassing but the knife handle is loosing volume, and that volume is vaporized compounds commonly called "gassing".

I have a couple that are stuck in a piece of oak log sitting on my work bench just because they are cool knives but I don't want them near my keeper knives

If the fit and color of the celluloid is as it was when the knife was made? I see no immediate issue.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Thanks Ken for the info! I keep it in my desk at work. Far away from my good knives. I don't see that hazing that your talking about but I don't want to chance it. This one is just an old cheapie!
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I think that is a great way to enjoy that knife.
I am waiting for one of those made in India "No 6/Sheffield/Steel" counterfeit knifes to arrive, and it's going straight into my stump (that sounds bad) with the other interesting yet low valued knives.

If yours is not crazing I would venture to say it is not a danger to your other knives but the desk is the better choice I believe.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Cool. Thanks for the response Ken. Appreciate ya taking the time to let me know everything. Have a great veterans day!
alabama

Post by alabama »

there were several companies that made knives like this in usa--aerial-Lackawanna-golden rule-Wabash-ect...I have a Iowa novelty co. marked one-early to mid 1900s for most-colonial made some...they sell quickly if celluloid not destroyed--wipe everything with oil-and pray..
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

alabama wrote:there were several companies that made knives like this in usa--aerial-Lackawanna-golden rule-Wabash-ect...I have a Iowa novelty co. marked one-early to mid 1900s for most-colonial made some...they sell quickly if celluloid not destroyed--wipe everything with oil-and pray..
Thanks for the info Alabama!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”