Case ID Help

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
TXTrophyhunter

Case ID Help

Post by TXTrophyhunter »

I have a Case XX 6207. The stamp on the first blade is Case XX Bradford, PA 19USA80. The second blade is stamped 6207 SP SSP. My concern is that the Bradford, PA stamp was only used on 1990-1993. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
case1980.jpg
case1980b.jpg
case1980c.jpg
Landersknives

Re: Case ID Help

Post by Landersknives »

That sure does look like a 1990 stamp but if you blow it up what’s supposed to be a 9 sure looks like a 8. Hmmmmm oh and ::welcome:: to AAPK the best, most friendly, down right just plain awesome knife forum there is (my opinion and I could be biased ::tu:: ). I am sure someone who knows more than me will be along and enlighten us as to what you have there. Sorry I could not be of more help.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK! Your knife was made in 1990.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TXTrophyhunter

Post by TXTrophyhunter »

Thanks for the welcome. I have blown it up more in macro and it still looks like an 8. Looks like an 80’s shield. I’m so confused. Lol
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The "9" was just poorly struck, making it look like an "8". It's highly unlikely anyone would try to counterfeit a Case of that pattern and year. Maybe this will help. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... ification/

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TXTrophyhunter

Post by TXTrophyhunter »

Ken that's what I'm going with, poorly stamped. It is the only thing that makes sense. Thanks
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I have looked at the date and as y'all pointed out, the 9 was poorly struck but also look at the 0. It appears the left side of it, adjacent to the 9, is also missing or "muffed up". Is there a "hard spot" or some type of flaw in the blade to cause this or maybe a stray shaving or sliver wound up between the blade and the stamp. I would assume the total of the tang stamp is done as one operation, one blow or strike.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Another thing that seems odd is the lightning S in Case. I'm not familiar enough with the 90's stamps to know if that is correct or not.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Greg, just read your response and something is in the back of my mind about the use of the Lightening S. Seems like it indicated stainless steel and maybe one with a regular S was indicative of CV? I may be all wet on this, maybe Mr. Pfeiffer will come by and straighten me out. :)
Treefarmer

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

treefarmer wrote:Greg, just read your response and something is in the back of my mind about the use of the Lightening S. Seems like it indicated stainless steel and maybe one with a regular S was indicative of CV? I may be all wet on this, maybe Mr. Pfeiffer will come by and straighten me out. :)
Treefarmer
I do recall that Phillip but I wasn't sure if that held true in 1990 or not. ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Here we go, look on page 23 of Knifeaholic's original book, Collecting Case Knives. Read the comment on the right side of the page under the 6207 pictures. Concerning the tang stamps with the regular rounded "S" indicates CV and "lightening S" indicate SS. I couldn't determine what year this practice started but we do know the use of the "lightening S" was apparently begun in 1980. The two tangs shown are from 1996 and 1999.
Treefarmer

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”