does anyone recognize this "case" knife? Is it legit?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
thickskinner54

does anyone recognize this "case" knife? Is it legit?

Post by thickskinner54 »

I have a question about this knife here. I have been collecting case knives for about 6 years now and I recently found this one here. It does not look like any Case knife that I have seen up to now. There are 2 knife blades and a nail file blade. To me, it looks like a swell center on the shield side but not on the other(pile?)side. These photos are the best I can do right now as I don't physically possess the knife at this time. Does anyone recognize it? Is it a genuine Case? Do you know the style, year and worth of it?
Thanks, guys. I appreciate any help with this one.
Attachments
oldcase5.jpg
oldcase4.jpg
oldcase3.jpg
oldcase2.jpg
old case1.jpg
Politicians are the lowest life form on earth; Democrats are the lowest form of politicians - General George Patton
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: does anyone recognize this "case" knife? Is it legit?

Post by knifeaholic »

Hi; the knife is authentic. It is a 6370 pattern, split backspring "whittler" with a "humpback" frame. A fairly rare pattern.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
thickskinner54

Post by thickskinner54 »

Thanks, Knifeaholic, I appreciate the help. ::tu:: would you happen to know the period it was made? In your opinion, is it worth $200? Thanks again, I asked around plenty before posting it here. Should have come here first ::dang::
Politicians are the lowest life form on earth; Democrats are the lowest form of politicians - General George Patton
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

thickskinner54 wrote:Thanks, Knifeaholic, I appreciate the help. ::tu:: would you happen to know the period it was made? In your opinion, is it worth $200? Thanks again, I asked around plenty before posting it here. Should have come here first ::dang::
1920's to 1930's time frame.

It is a scarce pattern and a whittler. If the blades have good snap, and the handles have no cracks, well worth 200.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If there's a way to examine the knife in hand, do so. I noticed in the pictures you posted that the master blade seems to have a odd, awkward appearance as it is opened fully. The blade appears to open beyond the point it should stop. Could indicate a problem with the spring or the blade tang.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (67.85 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”