Old knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Sixpak74

Old knife

Post by Sixpak74 »

Found this old dagger. Says Jonathan Crookes on the blade, if anyone has any info on it I would appreciate it.
Attachments
B844D35C-D5AA-4E7E-B303-1693B06265FE.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old knife

Post by jerryd6818 »

Interesting. Blade has the look of a Fairbairn Sykes Commando Dagger.
Attachments
AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg
AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

https://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=jo ... rmvSB=true

Apparently his knifes will demand a premium price.
Looking at YOUR knife I would have to say that it has a pencil thin tang, and "I" wouldn't pay a premium for it.
Just my mechanics point of view. ::shrug::

He is a high demand maker tho... ::nod::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Sixpack: Hope you can find more information on the knife. It is interesting. I find the handle somewhat odd for the style of blade.
Sixpak74

Post by Sixpak74 »

Quick Steel wrote:Sixpack: Hope you can find more information on the knife. It is interesting. I find the handle somewhat odd for the style of blade.
Going to work on that. All I know for sure is it’s been hanging on a wall at my father n laws for at least 50 years.
Sixpak74

Post by Sixpak74 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Interesting. Blade has the look of a Fairbairn Sykes Commando Dagger.
Thanks
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

The handle looks like one from an old carving set. ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I'm skeptical of that one. It just doesn't pass the sniff test.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Interesting as it looks like a "German Export Dagger" from very early 1900's. See LG4 pg. 455 & 466. However Jonathan Crookes is an old Sheffield knife manufacturer, 1780-1827. Jonathan Crookes & Son 1827 - "present"(1994 ?)
Can you make out "& Son" after "Crookes" ?
I think this could well be all original with Crookes & Son copying the "German Export Dagger".
And during early 1990's some Sheffield cutlery manufacturers actually contracted out to Solingen manufacturers and the knives were marked as per Sheffield company. This could be one of them but a real expert in vintage British & German daggers is needed to assess this.
kj
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

sixpack, Looks ok to me, nice old vintage stag handle. Goins' Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings says the same as KJ reported. Value is a little hard to come up because I haven't seen any sell. If I was to make a guess, I would put it in the $100 range? ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Sixpak74

Post by Sixpak74 »

kootenay joe wrote:Interesting as it looks like a "German Export Dagger" from very early 1900's. See LG4 pg. 455 & 466. However Jonathan Crookes is an old Sheffield knife manufacturer, 1780-1827. Jonathan Crookes & Son 1827 - "present"(1994 ?)
Can you make out "& Son" after "Crookes" ?
I think this could well be all original with Crookes & Son copying the "German Export Dagger".
And during early 1990's some Sheffield cutlery manufacturers actually contracted out to Solingen manufacturers and the knives were marked as per Sheffield company. This could be one of them but a real expert in vintage British & German daggers is needed to assess this.
kj
Attachments
B51A196D-681E-4A49-B2CD-308DD447026E.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Very clear markings !
Jonathan Crookes became "& Son" in 1827, however i doubt this knife is older than 1827.
In 1907 Joseph Allen & Sons, also a Sheffield knife manufacturer, bought out 'Crookes' and thus had the rights to all trademarks associated with the Jonathan Crookes & Son business.
My guess is that this knife was likely made by Joseph Allen company sometime not long after 1907 and was marked with the original Jonathan Crookes markings.
There is still the possibility that J. Allen contracted this knife out to a Solingen manufacturer as it is a German pattern from early 1900's.
Note: i am an amateur in all things 'knife'. It would be helpful to hear from someone more knowledgeable about vintage Sheffield fixed blades.
What i can say with some certainty is: it is a very nice knife, one i would be very pleased to own as i'm sure would many others here.
kj
Sixpak74

Post by Sixpak74 »

kootenay joe wrote:Very clear markings !
Jonathan Crookes became "& Son" in 1827, however i doubt this knife is older than 1827.
In 1907 Joseph Allen & Sons, also a Sheffield knife manufacturer, bought out 'Crookes' and thus had the rights to all trademarks associated with the Jonathan Crookes & Son business.
My guess is that this knife was likely made by Joseph Allen company sometime not long after 1907 and was marked with the original Jonathan Crookes markings.
There is still the possibility that J. Allen contracted this knife out to a Solingen manufacturer as it is a German pattern from early 1900's.
Note: i am an amateur in all things 'knife'. It would be helpful to hear from someone more knowledgeable about vintage Sheffield fixed blades.
What i can say with some certainty is: it is a very nice knife, one i would be very pleased to own as i'm sure would many others here.
kj
Thank you.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”