Have you ever bought a knife that just had no "soul"?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Have you ever bought a knife that just had no "soul"?

Post by jerryd6818 »

You know. You see a picture of one that grabs you or someone buys one, talks it up and gets you all hot to trot to have one of your own. You may drool over it for quite some time before pulling the trigger or it may just be an impulse purchase but in the end, when it arrives in the mail, it just leaves you flat. Ho hum. Not quite buyers remorse but no excitement either. In person, the knife looses all it's wow factor. The knife just has no "soul".

Since it's happened to me several times, I just wondered if I had any company in this arena.

Here are a few examples that have fallen flat on their face. ::yawn::

Sanrenmu LAND 910
Sanrenmu LAND 910 - half open.jpg
Case Russlock
Case Russlock.JPG
Canal Street Muskrat
cs1.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Did you ever buy a knife that just had no "soul"?

Post by Colonel26 »

I most definitely have. Too many times to count. Lol.

But I think you just need to spend more time with that muskrat. It sure looks to have souls from here.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Have you ever bought a knife that just had no "soul"?

Post by jerryd6818 »

That Muskrat lives here only because of my "one of everything" accumulation philosophy. No offense to Phil but for me, the entire line of Canal Street knives "have no soul"
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

jerryd6818 wrote:That Muskrat lives here only because of my "one of everything" accumulation philosophy. No offense to Phil but for me, the entire line of Canal Street knives "have no soul"

::tear:: ::tear:: ::tear:: ::tear:: ::tear:: ::tear:: ::tear:: ::tear:: ::mdm::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I have more times than I can count.. What I do now is put a pic in my favorites of the knife I THINK I want.. If it stays there then its a keeper.. But if I loose interest in it after a while it goes.. John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Ain't really never mentioned it to anybody...but...with Jerry opening up the can,
time to jump in...I thought I was the only one that talked to a knife, felt its presence
in my pocket or hanging on my belt, reaching down to give it a pat, and going even deeper
as mentioned, feeling the soul or inner thoughts of a knife, having the knife almost answering your thoughts
that you are feeling for this blade...yes folk's...the knife bug and the appreciation of owning certain knives runs deep into my old
dis-oriented, sometimes confused brain, ::facepalm::
So I for one am in that same arena with ya Jerry

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Jerry,
It's interesting that I have a sense of "no soul" with two of the patterns you have shown. I detest tacticals, yet I have two that I use all the time, when I wear my bib overalls. ::shrug:: I don't mind scraping or cutting anything with either one, no matter the maker.
The Case Russlock is just off limits, totally. Lots of folks think they have "soul". Love the maker but not the style.
Then we get to the Muskrat, that pattern has a lot of "soul"! I've been using an Old Timer Muskrat every year when processing venison for many years and it is just right!
There must be a lot involved when determining if a knife has "soul". Several of these old stockmen feel right at home in my pocket, as does a Queen # 39 during deer season.::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree with the "no soul" sentiment on tacticals - they just don't do anything for me, but I have a couple I use occasionally. They're functional tools, but so is a screwdriver. Neither has any character. I don't care for the Russlock either - never could figure out why anybody would carry one, unless it was in a belt sheath. ::shrug:: That "sticking-out lever thingy" would put a hole in your pocket pronto for sure!!

Jerry's description of seeing a picture and getting excited, only to be disappointed when it arrives pretty much sums up my opinion of Parker knives. Years ago I bought several based on the SMKW catalog pictures and glowing descriptions, and the prices were low. Well, "you get what you pay for" was what I thought when they arrived. Couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was, but "no soul" aptly describes them. I still have a few of them, and I still get that "no soul" feeling when I look at them today.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

I have had this happen as well Jerry...most notably the few times I have been drawn in by the good reviews, variety of patterns, and cheap prices of Rough Riders. The three of four that I have given in to temptation and pulled the trigger on, have been pretty soulless to me once I got them in hand. Functionally they were fine, and they were plenty sharp, and pretty too.....I just felt no love for them at all and passed them on to others as freebies. They felt somewhat like an imposter to me and I never could form a bond with them at all.
Regarding "tacticals"...I hear where you all are coming from, and for the most part I agree. I have had my share, and passed most of them on, however I do have an orange full size Benchmade Griptillian that I feel has developed some soul by travelling many miles with me in the woods...there has definitely been some bonding there, and if I were ever to lose it I know I would be seriously bummed, not just due to its efficiency as a tool, but because of the memories I associate with it.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

A knife's "soul" is a very individual thing. The Land 910 I posted did absolutely nothing for me. I might as well have been holding a wad of paper in my hand BUT my buddy Bob bonded with it instantly so I gave it to him and now we're both happy. I believe his comment was, "This just feels 'right' in my hand." I was happy to see it go.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Interesting topic you have going here JerryD. I'm a one knife carry guy. I don't rotate, I know every millimeter of my knife. One day I got up late for work and rushed out of the house, about 10 miles down the road I realized I didn't have him with me. I might as well been at work naked. I got home and went straight to my dresser and put him in my pocket, telling him "I'm sorry buddy, I'll never do that again" it's no different than going quail hunting and leaving your dog at home. The look my dog and my knife gave me were the same. I display all my knives and every knife has told me where the proper place for him to be is. We all need to be sensitive to our knives feelings.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I can relate to the "soul" aspect but talking to them??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll just pretend I didn't read that...

For me it is the age or the fact that a knife has had a home(s) before me. Even if a knife was a safe queen, I feel the previous owner(s) in the knife. I respect it more.

New knives always leave me "flat" feeling because I don't really have time to develop that character they need.
I can flip a new knife in seconds, and never even remember I had it but pre-owned knives I remember. I hesitate to sell them at all.
Maybe this is all in my head but I don't think so. It is too deep a feeling to discard.
Besides, my Camillus "Catfish Hunter" told me I was right, and not to worry about it! ::paranoid::

Ohhh. Ruslock hate? Really??? I think they are cool as cool gets. ::shrug::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

treefarmer wrote:Jerry,
It's interesting that I have a sense of "no soul" with two of the patterns you have shown. I detest tacticals, yet I have two that I use all the time, when I wear my bib overalls. ::shrug:: I don't mind scraping or cutting anything with either one, no matter the maker.
The Case Russlock is just off limits, totally. Lots of folks think they have "soul". Love the maker but not the style.
Then we get to the Muskrat, that pattern has a lot of "soul"! I've been using an Old Timer Muskrat every year when processing venison for many years and it is just right!
There must be a lot involved when determining if a knife has "soul". Several of these old stockmen feel right at home in my pocket, as does a Queen # 39 during deer season.::hmm::
Treefarmer
I agree about - 'Tacticals', Though I appreciate them, I always felt like they haven't any soul! Maybe mostly new 'modern' ones? Most any vinatge knife I own has a soul to me.

My two cents

Kirk
If you’re gonna be dumb... You better be tough!
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

americanedgetech wrote:I can relate to the "soul" aspect but talking to them??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

For me it is the age or the fact that a knife has had a home(s) before me. Even if a knife was a safe queen, I feel the previous owner(s) in the knife. I respect it more.

New knives always leave me "flat" feeling because I don't really have time to develop that character they need.
I can flip a new knife in seconds, and never even remember I had it but pre-owned knives I remember. I hesitate to sell them at all.
Maybe this is all in my head but I don't think so. It is too deep a feeling to discard.
Besides, my Camillus "Catfish Hunter" told me I was right, and not to worry about it! ::paranoid::

Ohhh. Ruslock hate? Really??? I think they are cool as cool gets. ::shrug::
Exactly, I agree!

Kirk
If you’re gonna be dumb... You better be tough!
americanedgetech

Kirk,
One of three things just happened...
1. I expressed myself clearly, and you are the first person that ever realized it.

2. I made enough sense for someone else to catch a glimpse of my train of thought.

3. (most likely) You, and I are just off the rails. ::ds::

Place your bets gentlemen... Place your bets...
Ken Mc.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

americanedgetech wrote:I can relate to the "soul" aspect but talking to them??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you're saying you don't talk to knives, but they talk to you. :lol: I guess that makes sense.......somehow. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

if a knife doesn't talk to me I won't buy it . ::tu:: What's strange about that ::nod::
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Who wants a mute knife????? ::shrug::
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

espn77 wrote:Who wants a mute knife????? ::shrug::
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: :lol: :lol:
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
americanedgetech

::tu:: Yup! Psssst... click the image. It's worth it.
Attachments

[The extension gif has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Ken Mc.

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I have a few knives that seem to have no soul. To me, the defining difference between soul and no soul is the intent with which the knife was made. A knife that was made with the intent to be used has soul. A knife that was made with the intent to be a collectable has no soul. As an example look at this Schatt and Morgan whittler. I do not think it was made to use. The materials and workmanship are top notch, but to me it has no soul. Then look at the Schrade whittler. It is a knife that was made to use. And to me it has way more soul even with Delrin handles instead of stag, and no nice etch on the blade.
Attachments
Schatte_and_Morgan.jpg
Schrade.jpg
Mel
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Never actually thought of it in the term of 'soul' ...
... but it makes sense to me.

I have several knives that caught my magpie eye ( oooooh .... shiny ....)
Or I just had money burning a hole in my pocket.
But once in the pocket the knife just didn't 'click'.

::dang::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

royal0014 wrote:
But once in the pocket the knife just didn't 'click'.

::dang::
And thus, no soul. Others would say, "It just don't trip my trigger" or "It just leaves me cold" and similar expressions which I translate to a lack of 'soul'. And of course, it varies from knife to knife and person to person. A knife that I consider as lacking 'soul' may be the life long carry of someone else.

My Camillus 72 'Frankenknife' is always in my pocket and has a ton of 'soul'.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Soul? To me the soul of a knife comes from the stories it could tell if it could talk. Like an old tree. When I hold that 100 year old knife there's something there. Or my first Buck 110 reminds me of the days when I had the best times of my life camping and hunting. An old Remington Boy Scout knife screams soul to me. Imagine the young Scout using it in the woods of 1930. The latest craze of tacticals and autos aren't talking to me like a 50's picklock does or a nice old Hubertus. Rough Rider, and knives of that ilk will never show me soul. Their makers have no tradition just a cheaper way to copy old patterns. I own a few cheapies and have some modern autos and tacticals but soul doesn't come to mind when I use them. I like them but there's no soul.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

jerryd6818 wrote:That Muskrat lives here only because of my "one of everything" accumulation philosophy. No offense to Phil but for me, the entire line of Canal Street knives "have no soul"
I have to side with Phil on this one. Canal Street drew a straight line to the glory days of Schrade. I miss both of them. ::shrug::
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez

Return to “General Knife Discussion”