Camillus model 89

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
ironhorse

Camillus model 89

Post by ironhorse »

Picked up a camillus 89 large stockman tang stamp is the one used for the 1960's to late 1970's the only examples I can find are the sword brand. The knife was carried and used but still in good shape. I can't find anything on the blade that would indicate sword brand. My question were all model 89 large stockman sword brand
It's not what you look at that matter's , it's what you see.
HDT
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus model 89

Post by carrmillus »

.......I have 2, both are well worn, so I can't tell if they were ever etched "sword brand", one is short line stamped, the other is long line stamped....good question!!..... ::tu:: ...........
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

Thanks wasn't sure how to explain the tang stamp , but it is a long line
HDT
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK.

How about a picture?

The first evidence I can find of the #89 Rancher is in the 1972 catalog when they introduced the "Indian Stag" line. All in that line were Sword Brand and it was etched on the main blade. So I think the answer to your question is yes, all #89s were Sword Brand and they all had the Indian Stag Delrin handles. The last catalog I see them listed in was 1979. So, if yours has the long line stamp, that would indicate it was one of the earlier ones (closer to 1972). IMHO
Attachments
1972 Camillus Catalog - Indian Stag.jpg
1979 Catalog #89 Last Appearance.png
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...jerry, the one I've never been able to figure out is the one I've got with the short-line stamp???..... ::shrug:: ...........
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

IMG_0485.JPG
HDT
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

Carrmillus and Jerry thank you the response and info very useful ::tu:: ::tu::
HDT
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

carrmillus wrote:...jerry, the one I've never been able to figure out is the one I've got with the short-line stamp???..... ::shrug:: ...........
Is the back of the main blade tang stamped 89? If so, that's just weird.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..........yep!!......... ::shrug:: ............
Stakeknife

Post by Stakeknife »

The 89 is one my fav EDC. Here is my minty sword brand.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject. Our forefathers knew this to be true..... Why do so many of us question their wisdom?
ofawoo

Post by ofawoo »

Hello, I've got a couple of these 89 patterns, one near mint and etched Sword Brand, the other worn with the etching gone. I'm not near them right now so I can't tell which is which but I remember one has a longer line than the other. The interesting thing is that the one that is worn and does not show the etch also has handles that are riveted on, unlike every other one of these I've seen. It appears to a have been made prior to the transition to the time when they showed a single center rivet and pressed delrin into a hole where the rivets would have been in older construction. Anyone ever seen one with rivets? Hartley
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Using catalog pictures, the best I can figure out, they transitioned from pinning the handles to the post method of attaching them between 1976 & 1977. In spite of the accepted wisdom, it's been my experience that they were still putting out knives with the long line stamp several years after 1976. (Old stock???) The real head scratcher is Tommy's short line 89. There are no 89's in the catalogs prior to 1972. ::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
PocktKnfLvr

Post by PocktKnfLvr »

I couldn't believe it when I found this in an alley not too long ago. Would love some info on shining up the blade a bit. Even though it's my oldest pocket knife by far it is probably my favorite.

Apologies for the photos being so dark. I used a flash but the uploaded dark for some reason.
Attachments
20200103_212316.jpg
20200103_212251.jpg
20200103_212235.jpg
20200103_212222.jpg
20200103_212200.jpg
20200103_212144.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Indian Stag handles (Delrin®) which didn't get introduced until approximately 1972 or so and the long line tang stamp put it squarely in the 1970's. It's seen some use but nothing that can't be cleaned up for a user. It's not a valuable knife but looks to be a good carry knife.

Edit: BTW, I don't see any handle pins other than the rocker pin. So 1976-very early '80s??
Attachments
20200103_212222.jpg
20200103_212235.jpg
20200103_212316.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

The 89 is probably my favorite if the over 4 inch stockman knives. I have several CASE 6375’s from different eras, Eye Brand too. But the 89 feels the best in my hand and that old Camillus steel was amazing. In like the scales better than a lot of delrin, but I’ve been toying with dressing up a couple of them with bone.

I have the one I use and some NOS ones put back just in case I wear it out. Lol.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Colonel26 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:25 pm The 89 is probably my favorite if the over 4 inch stockman knives. I have several CASE 6375’s from different eras, Eye Brand too. But the 89 feels the best in my hand and that old Camillus steel was amazing. In like the scales better than a lot of delrin, but I’ve been toying with dressing up a couple of them with bone.

I have the one I use and some NOS ones put back just in case I wear it out. Lol.
..just dug mine out and looked at it again to make sure, and it is stamped 89 on the pile side and short line stamped on the mark side.....?????.............. ::shrug:: ............
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

carrmillus wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:39 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:25 pm The 89 is probably my favorite if the over 4 inch stockman knives. I have several CASE 6375’s from different eras, Eye Brand too. But the 89 feels the best in my hand and that old Camillus steel was amazing. In like the scales better than a lot of delrin, but I’ve been toying with dressing up a couple of them with bone.

..just dug mine out and looked at it again to make sure, and it is stamped 89 on the pile side and short line stamped on the mark side.....?????.............. ::shrug:: ............
I’ve never seen one with that stamp! I’ll have to be on the look out!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Colonel26 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:13 pm
carrmillus wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:39 pm

I’ve never seen one with that stamp! I’ll have to be on the look out!
.......I have all 5 sizes if you ever get the hankerin' for a whole set!!................ ::tu:: ................

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”