Tuna Valley Picture Show

Tuna Valley Cutlery Co., Excelsior Knife Co., & Napanoch Knife Co. are three popular brands currently controlled by The Daniels family. These are old names that went dormant for years, but have since been brought back to life with modern offerings. This forum is here to discuss & show off knives & related items with brand names under the Daniels Family umbrella.
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Tuna Valley Picture Show

Post by Rookie »

I agree Edge, I really like them and they are exquisite eye candy. If you get the chance, don't be afraid to pick one up second hand. They have a pretty good secondary market, and you can get certain patterns for 25% less than new retail price.
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Whoa. you guys are buying them 3 at a time ! I guess all 3 are so good you cannot pick just one ?
Here i am fussing over the expense of buying just one. You fellows are inspirational.
kj
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

1 of the cool parts about buying the Tuna knives is that they only release 2-3 patterns a year. So buying 3 at a time is cool, cause you only do it every 4 months. Also, if buying at a knife show, you can sometimes get a discount when buying multiples.
Carl B.
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Here are some better shots of the humpbacks.
Attachments
2017-tuna-valley-humpback-whittler-amber-stag-01.jpg
2017-tuna-valley-humpback-whittler-amber-stag-02.jpg
2017-tuna-valley-humpback-whittler-burnt-stag-01.jpg
2017-tuna-valley-humpback-whittler-burnt-stag-02.jpg
2017-tuna-valley-humpback-whittler-buffalo-horn-01.jpg
2017-tuna-valley-humpback-whittler-buffalo-horn-02.jpg
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Is this Humpback a different pattern than the T.V. "Carpenter's Whittler" ? If so would you mind posting a pic showing both patterns ?
Edit, i just checked previous page, the Humpack & Carpenter's are quite different patterns
Of the above 3 Humpbacks i think the jigged bone is a real 'stand out'. I think i need to find the right dealer to get one of these.
kj
Edit: looks like the Humpback Whittler might be sold out, but there are quite a few Carpenter's Whittler available including some with mammoth handles.
Do you know if the Humpback will be made with mammoth handles ?
kj
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Hey KJ, yes they are quite a bit different. The Carpenter had a sheepsfoot main blade, with clip and coping secondary. This knife has a clip main, with pen and coping secondary. The humpback is a little shorter, only 3 1/8 vs the carpenter which is 3 1/2 closed. TV always releases the knives in 50 burnt stag handles, 50 amber stag handles, and 25 buffalo horn handles. Then at a later date, they release them in the timekeeper version, and the mammoth ivory.

Don't worry, these knives haven't been listed for sale yet from the dealers. They were sent out on Friday, so I expect the dealers are likely taking pictures of them and should be listing them very soon. I only was able to get these sooner because Ryan Daniels had them for sale at the Queen Knife show this past weekend. Usually I have to wait and buy from one of the dealers, but this time I lucked out. I believe both stags will list at $150 and the buffalo horn will be $125.

I'm sure they'll release the humpbacks in mammoth ivory, but it will likely be 3-4 months from now because they need to get the ivory fluted and the bolsters engraved by Oiseau Metal Works.
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Rookie. Very helpful information and good to hear that Humpbacks have not sold out. I will keep checking for them.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I spent much of today looking at pictures of available Tuna Valley knives, going back and forth trying to remember 'this mammoth handle' to compare with 'that' mammoth handle. Looked at other handle materials as well.
The only aspect of these knives i do not like is the tendency for thick handle slabs. I know it is more difficult to craft a thin handle piece but when done properly the result is a far superior knife. Look at, or handle, any Jos. Rodgers (and others) pre WW I stag handled folding knife if you need any convincing.
Only one of the T.V. sellers shows a pic taken from overhead, knife on it's spine, to show handle thickness. Some are not too bad but none are as slender as they could be.
Does anyone in the Daniels family read threads like this one to see what the 'knifers' are saying ?
kj
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

I know Ryan Daniels is active on Facebook knife groups. I don't believe he goes on any of the main knife forums, at least not yet. That may change in the future from what he was saying.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the handles. I think it's just a personal preference of liking huge chunky thick handles, or slim ones for more comfortable carrying.
Carl B.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote:The only aspect of these knives i do not like is the tendency for thick handle slabs.
kj
I prefer a thin and and well-matched (symmetrical) set of handles, too. In my experience the Tuna Valley Buffalo horn is thin, well balanced, and comfortable. The Buffalo is not as "eye catching" in my opinion..
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I hope the Daniels read what i posted about handle thickness and the follow up posts as well. Thick Stag was simply a 1980's marketing gimmick. It has nothing to do with well made knives.
I have quite a few vintage German knives ( ~ 100 yrs old) with African Water Buffalo horn handles. I don't find these handles accent the knife as well as even wood handles. Ivory and pearl are my preferred handles and now mammoth is the only ivory available on new production knives. I am hoping to find a T.V. knife with slender, slim, beautiful, mammoth ivory handles.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Well, i took the plunge and paid the $150 for a stag Tuna Valley Humpback Whittler. I also wanted the Gunstock pattern with excellent mammoth handles but thankfully i balked at the $500 price tag.
I regret having to say that this whittler is an expensive disappointment. It is comparable to an average regular run Queen. The blade grinds are thicker than i think they should be and all 3 edges are dull (which is worse than "not very sharp").
I can feel a rough 'poke' as i run my finger along the frame edges where the stag & bolster meet, at 5 of the 8 'stag-bolster edge junctions'. Likely a few more passes on the buffer would have smoothed this out.
I couldn't stop myself from getting out my stag Rough Rider whittler which cost $16: all blades are very sharp & no sharp spots on frame.
I am sorry that i cannot post a happy glowing report on my new Tuna Valley Humpback Whittler.
kj
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 003.jpg
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 008.jpg
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Sorry to hear that KJ. I agree shelling out that $ you want to be happy with what you get. Have you talked to the dealer to see about returning or exchanging?
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I keep whatever knife i am sent unless it is really terrible This knife is not bad enough to get returned by me. It will serve to remind me that i don't need any more new production knives except perhaps for GEC with ivory or mammoth handles.
I am disappointed that Queen still cannot get to a GEC level even at $150. Like so many others here i really want Queen to reliably make top quality traditional style folding knives.
kj
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Roland, like you I was disappointed with my first Tuna Valley purchase. In my situation it was probably (mostly) due to my expectations being set too high. The things that originally annoyed me (snags, out of the tube blade sharpness) have significantly diminished as I have used the knife (Carpenters Whittler in buffalo). I have come to appreciate the operational characteristics of the knife such as zero blade rub, snappy smooth open and close. The blades in the knife are very well suited to my light duty needs of opening boxes, cutting string, etc. Recently I have also been carrying a Tuna Valley cattle knife with a punch (also in buffalo) that has been useful around the house. The cattle knife is a bit "chunky" as has been mentioned. However most 3 blade knifes under 4" tend to feel disproportionately chunky to me :)

Not sure if you acquired the knife as a collectible or as an occasional carry knife. Anyway if you do happen to spend some quality bonding time with your knife the pendulum might swing somewhat away from dissatisfied. I totally get the value for money comment you made vis-a-vis your Rough Rider whittler.
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

I've had these for a while but finally now got some nice photos of them. These are both amber stag.
Attachments
2014-tuna-valley-scout-amber-stag2.jpg
2014-tuna-valley-scout-amber-stag3.jpg
2015-tuna-valley-railsplitter-amber-stag2.jpg
2015-tuna-valley-railsplitter-amber-stag3.jpg
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Two more very attractive Tuna Valley knives ! Rookie do you personally select these ? or does someone at T.V. select ones for you ?
Although all of the Tuna Valley handles look quite desirable, you seem to reliably get some of the best.
kj
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Some of them, I knew the pattern was going to be released soon, so I kept my eye on all the dealer sites and bought my favorite ones. Some, I just happened to get lucky with whatever was left. And 2 knives I have bought, then found a nicer one later and bought, and sold the first. I've never had the Daniels set any aside for me, although perhaps I could ask them that next time I see them.
Carl B.
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

A few more photos to add here. None of the knives are new, but I got some nice newer photos of them.
Attachments
2014-tuna-valley-tadpole-mammoth-03.jpg
2014-tuna-valley-tadpole-mammoth-04.jpg
2015-tuna-valley-railsplitter-buffalo02.jpg
2016-tuna-valley-teardrop-burnt-stag3.jpg
2016-tuna-valley-teardrop-buffalo3.jpg
2016-tuna-valley-carpenter-whittler-amber-stag2.jpg
2016-tuna-valley-carpenter-whittler-amber-stag3.jpg
2016-tuna-valley-carpenter-whittler-buffalo3.jpg
Carl B.
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Nice fall day here. I got some nice photos of some Tuna knives.
Attachments
2012-tuna-valley-sunfish-whittler-burnt-stag-03.jpg
2012-tuna-valley-sunfish-whittler-burnt-stag-04.jpg
2013-tuna-valley-sweybelly-trapper-amber-stag-3.jpg
2013-tuna-valley-sweybelly-trapper-amber-stag-4.jpg
TV-2014-Fish-Buff3.jpg
2014-tuna-valley-gunstock-ivory03.jpg
20154-tuna-valley-muskrat-ivory03.jpg
2015-tuna-valley-scout-mammoth3.jpg
2016-tuna-valley-carpenter-whittler-mammoth-ivory04.jpg
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rookie, another show of great knives by you ! And that was 2 months ago and no one has posted "Thanks".
So, excellent pics of fine knives, Thank you.
I just received this 3 5/8" EO Jack from Franks Classic Knives. Not only is it a beauty with perfect walk & talk and zero blade play, it is also SHARP ! Right on Queen. Excellent knife.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3152.JPG
IMGP3153.JPG
IMGP3154.JPG
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Beautiful knife kj.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

That is a great looking knife KJ. I think the EO single blade teardrop was one of the best TV designs so far, without a doubt in my top 3 favorites. And that run of knives had some of the best mammoth ivory, I love the coloring in it. ::tu::
Carl B.
GECCUT21

Post by GECCUT21 »

Tuna Valley Tuesday ::tu::
IMG_1009.JPG
IMG_1010.JPG
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Great looking stag on that coke bottle! Those knives are simply massive. And the redbone on the GEC made cigar congress is always eyecatching. I often wish they would make another pattern with some jig bone on it, just as a treat every once in a while.
Carl B.

Return to “Daniels Family Knife Brands Forum”