BROOKES & CROOKES BOWIE KNIFE SHEFFIELD

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
barkz

BROOKES & CROOKES BOWIE KNIFE SHEFFIELD

Post by barkz »

HI. CAN ANYONE HELP WITH POSSIBLE VALUATION, AGE AND RARITY ON THIS KNIFE?
Attachments
WP_20170923_13_12_47_Pro.jpg
WP_20170923_13_13_03_Pro.jpg
WP_20170923_13_13_16_Pro.jpg
Gunsil

Re: BROOKES & CROOKES BOWIE KNIFE SHEFFIELD

Post by Gunsil »

Knife is missing the guard, sheath is not original, overall condition is lacking to be generous. I don't like to tell others what their possessions are worth, but in my opinion you would be quite lucky to get a hundred buck for it in the USA.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I'm not so sure that this knife ever had a guard on it;it doesn't show any evidence of one. And if that is the case the sheath could very well be original. The size tells me it is a bowie hunter rather than a true bowie knife and it's condition looks to be pretty decent for the age which I would guess is from about 1890 on. Value is strictly subjective;depends on who wants it and how badly they want it. JMHO folks;your mileage may vary.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Goens says, c. 1858-1947, Sheffield England. Made all types of cutlery and hardware items, including "Bowie type knives. He also shows 2 different "bells" stamped, one from 1858 and yours from 1859. value, who knows, but probably in the $100-$200 range? Not sure if it had a guard or not but I donot see any evidence of one. Sheath looks to me not to be original. Interesting ole knife though! ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I would say not a true Bowie knife but a Bowie hunting knife made after 1900. Originally did have a guard. Sheath looks to be original. Based on condition value in the 100 range because of the nice sheath.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
barkz

Post by barkz »

hi. thanks for the answers to the questions. I have had a picture sent from someone off another site of an identical knife, the knife definitely did not have a guard but I am not sure if the case is original. thank you anyway

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”