Collecting Case knives

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Oldredbone67

Collecting Case knives

Post by Oldredbone67 »

Collecting Case knives:
I have started something and now I am hooked!. I picked up a few Case knives with the oval shield , which Case started using in 1987 again. I really like the shield. I now have 5 Case knives with that shield, all made in 1987. All 5 are different patterns.
A Moose, 6318 stockman, 63032 stockman, muskrat, and 6207 mini trapper. They all are of the same bone handle. I am sure there is a 6254 large trapper somewhere out there and possibly others. If anyone has one sitting in their collection and would like to make a trade for another nice Case knife, please PM me or leave a comment .
Thanks , hope to hear from you
Attachments
1987 shield
1987 shield
Old Hunter

Re: Collecting Case knives

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice set of Case Knives you have there - the large shield (or whatever is the proper name) makes a very nice theme for a collection. As to handle color, I think that was the "standard" color of the late 1980's. I always liked that shield design and looked around until I found a NOS Case Knife sporting one - my one example is this 1987 6392 Premium Stockman I found in a Pawn & Gun a couple of years ago. I have no idea how many different models Case produced with this shield, but I have seen both a 63087 Medium Stockman and a 22087 Serpentine Jack wearing the same shield. OH
Attachments
Case 6392 Stockman - 1987 (Mark).JPG
Case 6392 Stockman - 1987 (Pile).JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Nice way to limit/define what you are collecting.

As to how many knives have this large shield perhaps a letter to the WRCase web site will answer your
question.

Nice start in your collection BTW

Bob
Oldredbone67

Post by Oldredbone67 »

Thanks for the info and kind words. I really like the shield and the handle color is growing on me. The search will continue.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

In terms of the patterns produced with the "raised letter" shield, all standard Case pocket knife patterns (with three exceptions that I will mention) were made with that shield, in addition to many of the SFO and limited run patterns. This applies to the years 1987, 1988, and part of 1989. In mid 1989 Case went back to the older style flay oval shield.

So it would apply to the whole Case pocket knife line - except for the three patterns that were made on contract by Camillus - the 640045R, 62031 LHR, and 61011.

If you PM me your email address, I can send you a PDF of Case's price list for 1987 that would show all of the standard patterns in production at that time.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Oldredbone67

Post by Oldredbone67 »

Sent you an email with my email address. Thanks

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”