Opinel No. 4? No. 5?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
jim mcarthur

Opinel No. 4? No. 5?

Post by jim mcarthur »

Hello, mates, and greetings from the USA! Please don't call me a Yank: I live in New Orleans. :mrgreen:

I'm looking for opinions on the two Opinel sizes mentioned above. I have a No. 7, which IS legal EDC here, but I find it too big: for my watch pocket, and for my tastes. I like the simplicity of the Opinel non-lockers and am interested in opinions of the No. 4 and the No. 5 for EDC. My uses are very light: mostly slitting envelopes, cutting string, and trying open recalcitrant lids on cat food.
Tsar Bomba

Re: Opinel No. 4? No. 5?

Post by Tsar Bomba »

jim mcarthur wrote:Hello, mates, and greetings from the USA! Please don't call me a Yank: I live in New Orleans. :mrgreen:

I'm looking for opinions on the two Opinel sizes mentioned above. I have a No. 7, which IS legal EDC here, but I find it too big: for my watch pocket, and for my tastes. I like the simplicity of the Opinel non-lockers and am interested in opinions of the No. 4 and the No. 5 for EDC. My uses are very light: mostly slitting envelopes, cutting string, and trying open recalcitrant lids on cat food.
First, ::welcome:: to AAPK, Jim! ::tu::

The 5 is probably the smallest Opi I'd use for any sort of EDC, considering my big meatpaws and the fact that the 6 is right in my wheelhouse for EDC size. I've only held a 4 once, but it definitely seemed on the small side to me and the Opi's big strength is how it fills the hand IMO.

Of course, if you're looking for a little pocket scalpel that fits in the watch pocket then the 4 (or even smaller...) might be just the thing for you. I think most people would be happy with the 5 if a non-locker was needed.
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Pick your poison. Click on the picture to expand it, click a second time to expand it to full size.
Attachments
Opinel Sizes in English.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jim mcarthur

Post by jim mcarthur »

Thanks for the info. That is quite a handy chart!

I have rather small hands: but even so, it's nice to have a grip big enough to get a purchase on.

The great beauty of the Opinel, of course, is that at the prices, I can try buy and try several sizes for size, without busting the bank account. Maybe I'll just order a 4 AND a 5 and try them both out.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

#5 is the smallest one I use! ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

For your intended use I'd say the number5 should work out just fine. Actually I like them all!
20171006_085446[1].jpg
Here is my collection of Opies. The largest is a number 12 and the smallest is a number 2. I do have 2 others that I keep in the kitchen. A number 7 in carbon steel and a number 8 in stainless.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I'm pretty sure the 5 is the biggest one without a collar lock, It's the smallest opinel that I have. It sure is a wicked cutter. I'd say the 6 is probably my favorite overall though, maybe the 7.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”