Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Ivoryman

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by Ivoryman »

Love the little 25 Barlow with the saw cut and the UN-X-LD on the bolster Farside. Congrats. Sweet sweet knives.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

These two Northwoods Little Bays arrived a couple days ago. GEC's #25 frame with a nice little Clip blade. I can't keep the Denim Micarta out of my pocket.
Attachments
IMG_3580.JPG
IMG_3582.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Thanks to 313Mike, I can continue the #25 Barlow party for a bit. Carried this little number all day today.
36921706412_5c1fe6b8e7_b.jpg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Beauty Bomba, love a 25, especially with great bones like that.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Not actually here yet but on it's way from Florida to Aussie - with Hurricane Irma providing a tail-wind :roll:
21317546_1602724379778812_8253918092669741578_n.jpg
#77 Yankee Jack
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Right now there are 13 Northwoods "Little Bay" knives for sale on ebay thanks to flippers. I might buy one but i don't want to 'feed a flipper' by paying way over original price. Approximately what did this sell for on KSF ?
thanks, kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote:Right now there are 13 Northwoods "Little Bay" knives for sale on ebay thanks to flippers. I might buy one but i don't want to 'feed a flipper' by paying way over original price. Approximately what did this sell for on KSF ?
thanks, kj
I didn't get in on the lolly scramble so I didn't get to see the original dealer price myself. The same question was asked on another forum and someone responded saying they were priced in the $160-$170 price range for the Micarta versions.

I bought two Micarta Little Bays on the secondary market and I paid $150 for the Red and $180 for the Denim. Both brand new with leather slip and coin. The leather slips are quite nice but unfortunately, I have no use for them.

I didn't want to pay that much but now that the buying process is over, I don't regret it for a second. The Little Bays are fantastic little knives with an awesome little Clip blade, steel liners and bolsters, and some really nice cover options. I'm exercising restraint right now trying not to make an offer on that Burlap Micarta on Ebay. The only thing holding me back is that it's a KSF photo and may not be the actual knife I'll receive.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for the info. You did very well. The re-sellers made little to no profit.
I don't mind paying extra to a re-seller as long as it is a 'reasonable' amount. I did pay $230 for a very nice Stag Northwoods "Hawthorne" which might have been a bit more than $50 over KSF price but i have seen others sell at $300.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just received a stag GEC Northfield 362209, which GEC calls a "Sunfish" pattern, 4 1/4". This stag suits this knife Perfectly !
In pics below i compare it's size with the GEC #46, the "Whaler" pattern which at 4 3/8" is 1/8" longer, closed. The Whaler is also bigger from spine to top edge of liners, and this allows for a much deeper master blade. The master on the 46 is 3" and only 1/16" shorter on the #36. The secondary on the #46 is 2 1/8" which is 1/4" longer than the secondary on the 36 which is 1 7/8" long.
I had wondered how these 2 patterns compared size-wise so i'm posting this info in case others are also interested in the comparison.
kj
Attachments
Toenail 005.JPG
Toenail 006.JPG
Toenail 007.JPG
Toenail 009.JPG
Toenail 010.JPG
Toenail 008.JPG
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Both of those are stunning KJ!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks John. I don't know how fast these sold when first released but the GEC Toenail (aka Sunfish) pattern is in demand right now.
They are impressive to look at and to handle but i cannot see myself carrying & using one of these. They are heavy in the pocket and the broad handle is not comfortable in my hand compared to a Jack, Stockman, etc.
kj
hk1123

Post by hk1123 »

kj - I wish there was a "like" button - is that Whaler in E.I.?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yes it is elephant ivory. I think 3 were made with ivory handles.
kj
jzwhts

Post by jzwhts »

https://www.flickr.com/gp/26946687@N06/Y47E89

First post here, trying to figure out pics. Anyway mammoth ivory 36 came home with me today.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

::welcome:: (back) to AAPK, jzwhts! That's an awfully nice toe, I can imagine it set you back a pretty penny for what those knives are fetching these days. :shock: Bet it's worth every dime, though! ::nod:: Outstanding ivory on a favorite pattern of mine. ::tu::

I'm sure Jerry & Co. will be around shortly with the welcome wagon and a note about the forum guidelines for pics. I went ahead and uploaded a copy of your GEC for thread posterity (basically, pics get uploaded not linked so that threads can be referenced years later without a ton of "NOT FOUND" thumbnails from Flickr and Photobucket). Our great users have done yeoman's work creating a thread with an easy-to-follow guide to posting photos on AAPK (which is good because we love pics here :mrgreen: ) - you can find that thread by clicking here. It should give you all the details you need to share photos here.
37335413575_1b8169ae70_b.jpg
I was able to quickly grab a postable copy of your photo using the Flickr download feature (in case the picture thread doesn't say so, the forum has a 1200x1000 size limit for uploads). This happens to be exactly what I do with the pics I back up to Flickr from my phone - I go to the Flickr photo page, hit the "Download" button under the photo (looks like an arrow pointing down with a horizontal line underneath it) and then the "View all sizes" option, and I click the "Download the Large 1024 size of this photo" which looks good and still fits on AAPK. Saves a lot of time compared to picture resizing, for sure. :wink:

Thanks for sharing your knife and enjoy the forum! Lots of friendly and whipsmart, very knowledgeable folks around so feel free to ask or share anything -- no need to wait 3 years to post your next forum post! :lol:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

The Blade Forums TC Barlow..I think it's a catch and release tho..not sure if I like I would carry it enough
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Attachments
image.jpeg
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

This GEC 35 came in today.
Attachments
GEC 35 007.JPG
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

A Northwoods Fremont with acrylic handles just sold on ebay for $670.
kj
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

kootenay joe wrote:A Northwoods Fremont with acrylic handles just sold on ebay for $670.
kj
That's completely crazy. I would have paid at least $800 ::smirk:: :)
-Tim
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I don't get it myself FarSide... I would never pay over 125.00 for any knife. ::undecided::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

jzwhts wrote:https://www.flickr.com/gp/26946687@N06/Y47E89

First post here, trying to figure out pics. Anyway mammoth ivory 36 came home with me today.
Welcome back. As you can see, a few things have changed since you first signed on. The forum is running a newer version of software so not everything is as it was back three years ago. We now have a Tips and Tricks forum ---> viewforum.php?f=98

Most of the actions you would like to perform, including posting pictures, now have their own tutorial thread in the Tips & Tricks forum. If you don't see what you're looking for, send me a PM and I'll see if I can help you with it.

Note: One of the major things concerning posting pictures is the {img} feature has been disabled by Bryan, the owner of forum. He wants ALL images stored on AAPK for the convenience of future researchers.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote:A Northwoods Fremont with acrylic handles just sold on ebay for $670.
kj
My observation is that it is fairly common to see the desirable Northwoods patterns such as the Fremont Jack in desirable handle materials such as Mammoth approach $400 at auction. I'm not expressing an opinion about whether the amount should be more or less than $400.

This particular auction had a few bidders up to approximately the $400 amount and then 2 bidders competed up to the $670 closing amount. It seems unusual to me that a Fremont Jack in acrylic would command the $670 price.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

RalphAlsip wrote:
kj
My observation is that it is fairly common to see the desirable Northwoods patterns such as the Fremont Jack in desirable handle materials such as Mammoth approach $400 at auction. I'm not expressing an opinion about whether the amount should be more or less than $400.

This particular auction had a few bidders up to approximately the $400 amount and then 2 bidders competed up to the $670 closing amount. It seems unusual to me that a Fremont Jack in acrylic would command the $670 price.
One good thing about that. There won't be any attempts to flip that knife in the near term...
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think this type of high bidding for a recently made GEC knife is people equating rarity with value. Only a few Fremonts were made with this green acrylic. But how many people will want an example of every Fremont handle material ? I know from time spent at BF a few years back that there are GEC collectors now who try for an example of every handle variation for some patterns (mostly Barlows). I doubt this GEC obsession will continue at the current intensity for more than 5-10 years.
GEC made knives are collectible for sure and for as long as knife collecting has enthusiasts.
I think it will be the Stag, Ivory/Mammoth & Giraffe bone knives that will get the higher prices in the future.
I doubt any acrylic GEC will stay in the $600 range for very long.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:I know from time spent at BF a few years back that there are GEC collectors now who try for an example of every handle variation for some patterns (mostly Barlows). I doubt this GEC obsession will continue at the current intensity for more than 5-10 years.
GEC made knives are collectible for sure and for as long as knife collecting has enthusiasts.
This is one of the main reasons why I have decided to turn all of my GECs, with a few rare exceptions (mostly duplicates purchased to be safe queens), into users. Even resisted the temptation to buy a second smooth yellow rose Churchill to put up despite the fact that the yellow rose's popularity means I could probably make my money back with ease in the future.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”