Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by jerryd6818 »

This is where all that depth they keep bragging about comes into play?? Maybe?? ::paranoid::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Greg, if they hold true to form the Rangers have scored all the runs they're gonna score tonight. And the bullpen is in, so it's up to the Braves to catch them, which they just might do, given the bullpen's past performances.

Ken

Edit: The reliever the Rangers used tonight to finish the game was Nick Martinez. He's in the starting rotation! You should file a protest! :lol:
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

While Irma devastates the Keys and South Florida, the Brewers are devastating the Cubs 14-0 at the end of the 6th. ::facepalm:: I tell ya folks, it's nothing but death and destruction.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

I turned it off after the 3rd inning.

We just don't have the pitching we had last year.
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Aye laddie. Tis true. Tis true. Nor the hitting on a regular basis.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote:While Irma devastates the Keys and South Florida, the Brewers are devastating the Cubs 14-0 at the end of the 6th. ::facepalm:: I tell ya folks, it's nothing but death and destruction.
I'd take a drubbing like that any day over what happened to the Rangers today. They took a 1-0 lead over the damnYankees into the 8th inning, and ended up losing the game 3-1. Cashner left the game after the 7th with a shutout, but once again the Rangers' bullpen blew the lead. ::paranoid:: ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Attachments
1505159556354.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Congratulations to the Nationals. First team to clinch their division this year. It's quite an achievement even though it's a weak Division.

Cubs were first to clinch last year but they didn't do it until 9/15. Portents of things to come??
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Time will tell, Jerry. The Nats don't have a good track record as far as October is concerned. Maybe things will be different this year? ::pray::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Apropro of nothing. Just noticed Trevor Cahill is pitching out of the bull pen for Kansas City.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

The Phillies aren't going anywhere but

Rhys Hoskins hit #15 and #16 last night and #17 tonight. He's played in 32 games now. Wonder if he needs an agent? He has made a crappy season somewhat memorable.
steve99f
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

steve99f wrote:The Phillies aren't going anywhere but

Rhys Hoskins hit #15 and #16 last night and #17 tonight. He's played in 32 games now. Wonder if he needs an agent? He has made a crappy season somewhat memorable.
Hoskins mashed last year (2016) in the minors and mashed in the minors this year (2017) before he was called up. Hoskins is also 24 years old (i.e., not a young minor league player). My only guess is the Phillies were trying to delay arbitration, but Hoskins clearly deserved to be playing in the big leagues prior to August 2017. He's a very advanced hitter - power, average, low strikeouts, works the count, takes walks.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I turned it off 20 minutes ago. It was the top of the 8th and the score was Cubs 10 - Mets 2. Just checked before going to bed and it's the top of the 9th and it's Cubs 17 - Mets 5
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

RalphAlsip wrote:
steve99f wrote:The Phillies aren't going anywhere but

Hoskins mashed last year (2016) in the minors and mashed in the minors this year (2017) before he was called up. Hoskins is also 24 years old (i.e., not a young minor league player). My only guess is the Phillies were trying to delay arbitration, but Hoskins clearly deserved to be playing in the big leagues prior to August 2017. He's a very advanced hitter - power, average, low strikeouts, works the count, takes walks.
The Phillies seem to have that habit of keeping young prospects in the minors Jerry. They kept Ryan Howard down as well and others. There are a few more down there in AAA that should have been called up but weren't. I don't know their thinking on this. The arbitration thing may be it, keeping control longer. Hoskins is MLB ready for sure. My only reservation, slight as it is, he is facing AAA pitching this part of the season.
steve99f
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

What a cluster **** yesterday's game was against the Cardinals. Lacky went into one of his little hissy fits over a strike that was called a ball. Instead of walking it off and just getting the batter out on the next pitch (he got a hit and a run scored), he threw a tantrum and ended up getting himself and Contreras ejected. ::facepalm:: That boy needs some anger management classes or a solid rap up-side his cranial cavity. At least the Cubs won the game, 8-2.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

jerryd6818 wrote:What a cluster **** yesterday's game was against the Cardinals. Lacky went into one of his little hissy fits over a strike that was called a ball. Instead of walking it off and just getting the batter out on the next pitch (he got a hit and a run scored), he threw a tantrum and ended up getting himself and Contreras ejected. ::facepalm:: That boy needs some anger management classes or a solid rap up-side his cranial cavity. At least the Cubs won the game, 8-2.
I actually have a different perspective.... I thought it was great!

It showed me his passion and competitiveness. That incident woke up the Cubs and they pounced on it! Lackey was dead right and sent a message to Ump Jordan Baker... At this point in the season, you cannot miss a pitch like that. There is too much on the line. Betcha he won't forget how important it is to get the pitch call correct.
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I didn't say Lacky was wrong about the pitch. It was clearly in the zone. I do feel he was wrong in the way he reacted to it. He could have gotten the same message across to the Ump without throwing a tantrum. As for your other point, I guess I just don't understand baseball. Are you saying they may not have won without that little hissy fit? If they had lost, then what? Would the temper tantrum still be a positive thing?

Is expecting a grown man making a Brazillion dollars a year to act in a mature and rational manner, expecting too much? ::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

I'm saying it was a catalyst to team emotion, rallying around a bad pitch call and "wronged" ejected players. Sports feeds on emotion, to feed higher performance. It was a spark, that lit the fire.

I like Lackey for this, he wears his emotions on his sleeve. Other players do it differently. You won't change John Lackey, WYSIWYG.

::tu::
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Just so you know, I'm not denigrating your position on the subject, nor am I attempting to change your mind. That would be foolish of me.

Looking forward to today's game and hoping for another win. Lynn vs Quintana - It will be what it will be.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

I know, we're cool! It's just a different perspective. If he did it all the time and made an ass out of himself, I'd feel differently. This is a rare case of him voicing his feelings at a much higher level than I've seen from him before. Usually he let's it go but this time he didn't.

Willy went over the top with throwing his mask down and it happened to touch the ump's leg on the bounce. That wasn't good. But Willy got ignited from the ump ejecting Lackey. This wasn't a border of the strike zone debatable pitch call... it was almost right down the middle and Baker missed it! That was what was so contentious.
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Sweeping the Mets was good but there is something that's just so much more satisfying about sweeping the Cardinals. ::ds::
Attachments

[The extension gif has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

There are 13 games remaining. 10 of them on the road. 8 of the road games are with the Brewers & Cards, 4 and 4, back to back.

It ought to be interesting.
NRA Life/Endowment
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Another win... Montgomery pitched great! and the bullpen didn't screw it up.
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Montgomery is getting his act together. Good to see.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Phils are in the process of taking 2 from the Dodgers. 6 to 3 bottom of the 8th. Hoskins hits a 3 run dbl with bases loaded in the 7th. Not over yet though. Beat Kershaw last night. :D

And they aren't the worst team in baseball now, that honor belongs to the Giants. ::tu::
steve99f

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”