Case shield question

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Oldredbone67

Case shield question

Post by Oldredbone67 »

Well, my collection of these shields of the late 80's is coming along nicely, but I noticed the some of the shields are bigger than the others ( 3 small, 3 larger).
I thought I read somewhere that there the larger ones were from a collective set of knives. Does anyone know anything to shed more light on this story? By the way, does the large Moose knife with square bolsters look like it is Rogers bone ?
Attachments
Shields
Shields
Shields
Shields
Moose
Moose
XX Case XX

Re: Case shield question

Post by XX Case XX »

Answer #1: I would send that photograph and your question to Shepherd Hills Cutlery. I'll bet you dollars to donuts they have an answer.
Answer #2: It does look a bit like Rogers but not enough to make it so.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Oldredbone67

Post by Oldredbone67 »

Shepherd Hills could not give me an answer, they told me to send an email to Case headquarters.
Oldredbone67

Post by Oldredbone67 »

I am thinking, depending upon the pattern size, that determines the shield size. I couldn't see a large shield on a peanut or a small shield on a 6347 stockman.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Oldredbone67 wrote:Shepherd Hills could not give me an answer, they told me to send an email to Case headquarters.
I'm very surprised. Every time I've e-mailed them with an inquiry I've received a definitive answer. Maybe someone else can comment on your question and provide you with a good answer. Sorry they weren't able to help.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Oldredbone67

Post by Oldredbone67 »

No problem, I talked to a Linda B. She said that they were not with Case in the 80's and would not know anything to tell me, that is why she told me to contact Case.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

In the time frame of 1986 to 1990, Case experimented with a lot of different shields and shield sizes. Seemed to be random. I think at one point, they were using the same size shield (the smallest one) on all patterns from small penknives and peanuts to the big folding hunters. I do not think that there was any rhyme or reason to it.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”