JOHN SELLERS SHEFFIELD IVORY WHARNCLIFFE KNIFE?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
barkz

JOHN SELLERS SHEFFIELD IVORY WHARNCLIFFE KNIFE?

Post by barkz »

HI. I WONDERED IF ANYONE CAN HELP WITH TELLING ME WHAT THIS KNIFE WAS USED FOR AND IF THEY HAVE SEEN ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF IT? THE KNIFE IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. THE HANDLE IS IVORY. THE END CAP IS SILVER. THE BLADE IS STAMPED JOHN SELLERS IMPROVED. I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS A WHARNCLIFFE KNIFE OR SOME KIND OF MEDICAL KNIFE. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO ON THE DATE AND WHAT THE KNIFE WOULD HAVE BEEN USED FOR. I LIVE IN SHEFFIELD ENGLAND AND HOPEFULLY WILL BE LISTING LOTS OF KNIVES ON AAPK SHORTLY WHICH 90% OF WILL BE FROM SHEFFIELD ENGLAND.
Attachments
WP_20170912_18_43_53_Pro.jpg
WP_20170912_18_45_31_Pro.jpg
WP_20170912_18_46_39_Pro.jpg
WP_20170912_18_47_31_Pro.jpg
WP_20170912_18_48_16_Pro.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: JOHN SELLERS SHEFFIELD IVORY WHARNCLIFFE KNIFE?

Post by kootenay joe »

Hey barkz, Welcome to AAPK !
Beautiful knife too. The blade shape looks like an "Ettrick" knife to me. Usually they are single bladed but 2 blades is fine too. Used to cut in a drawing motion towards yourself, to trim sheep/lamb hooves i think. Indigenous to a few areas in U.K. Google "Ettrick" to see similar knives and more info.
I don't know of this maker but i'm sure someone here does & hopefully they will post.
There are lots of us here who would love the chance to acquire some fine vintage Sheffield knives.
kj
toolboy

Post by toolboy »

barkz that is a most interesting and super nice knife. It could be called a pruner. The threaded and knurled bolster is most unusual, beautiful. The seal cap also is very unique, it must have a special use?? The Sheffield Knife Book by Geoffrey Tweedale has John Sellers & Sons as being amongst a small group of cutlery firms which despite the American duties on Sheffield imports, managed to sell knives in the USA in the 1880s and 1890s on the basis of high quality. The firm was established in Sheffield in 1820. His grandsons John and William Sellers were running it by 1890 and it lasted until the 1950s . William had import offices in New York City and John was in charge of the manufacturing plant. The corporate mark of Sellers, granted in 1838, is a dagger entwined with the letter S . The Sellers Works were at 151 Arundel Street in Sheffield.
barkz

Post by barkz »

hi. thanks for the comments. ive found a little bit more information on the internet that john sellers opened an office in 1847 in pearl street new York and also displayed his knives at the exhibition in 1853. he had also exhibited at the great exhibition of 1851 showing his knives which included wharncliffes and congress knives, Norfolk knives and many others. I have had a message from someone else on another site saying he thinks it is a physician doctors knife and the end cap was for crushing tablets and medications up. thanks, barkz
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Barkz, ::welcome:: to AAPK. Nice knife, definitely not a physician's knife. I have to agree with Kootenay Joe, looks like an Ettrick. As KJ suggested, if you do some internet searching you will find other examples. There are at least two threads on Ettrick knives in the traditional forum over on the other big knife site.
Dan
Dan
barkz

Post by barkz »

I have put the knife at the side of a Ettrick knife for comparison. they do look quite similar in shape and size, the only thing that is still a mystery is the end cap. this does have a rough texture to it so was maybe used for filing down the hooves
Attachments
WP_20170913_15_27_22_Pro.jpg
WP_20170913_15_28_08_Pro.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Definitely, that end cap was there to be used. does look like a rasp, could also be used to bang down tacks (if these are used when dealing with livestock hooves).
It is a Very Neat knife.
thanks for showing it barkz.
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Beautiful old knife barkz ::tu:: ::tu:: ... everything from initials in handle, bolster and great old 2 blade Ettrick... the end cap of these knives as I understand it had some use as a means to hammer something in the field while working - maybe stakes etc..

Post by kootenay joe »

No, trying to hammer a stake into the ground with the butt of any knife is abuse. You need a more heavy duty tool for that. A palm sized rock works for small stakes & tent pegs.
kj
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Lovely knife, barkz.
Ivory is not really appropriate for a hoof trimmer, or other livestock work; more grip is needed.
In my opinion, this knife would make an ideal tool for a genteel rose or vegetable garden!! High grade materials and design work, moderate size, and a useful pruning/harvesting blade. Extra blade for odd jobs, cutting string etc. You can't drive a stake with that seal cap, but you can put in a tack or two, for labels, or to tie a plant up.
The owner would take pride in owning and preserving that tool!!
I have no written proof of any of this! :D
Utopia!! A chicken in every pot!! And a Barlow in every pocket!!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Is it 100% definite than handle is ivory ?
Could it be cow horn ? I have seen Laguiole knives with blond colored horn handles that looks quite similar to handles on O.P. knife.
kj
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Not my Bailiwick, but if the end cap is "silver" and not nickel-silver and given the handle material, the monogram and the decorative bolsters, I just think the knife was not intended for stock work or any other work that would be abusive to it. It just strikes me as falling within the "Gentlemen's Knives" category.

I have seen serpentine jack physician's knives with a pill crusher end cap, Robeson made one in pearl, but this one is not, I think, a physician's knife.

However, BRL in LG-IV on page 181, did identified a two blade curved or sway back or "Congress" jack with a "seal cap" as a physician's knife.

The profile of the OP knife is much more exaggerated that the knife in LG-IV.

The texture of the end-cap has me baffled.

Beautiful and interesting knife. ::tu:: :mrgreen:

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
toolboy

Post by toolboy »

DSC05028.JPG
DSC05026.JPG
Food for thought--I-XL made wharncliffe style blades and called them pruners
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

On a framing hammer, that is sometimes called a milled face. I don't recall seeing that type of surface on the end cap of a knife. Seems useful though. I think Charlie gave a good description of the likely intended use but it's just my best guess. Neat knife.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”