Anyone know where I can find an original Tested 5394?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
ofawoo

Anyone know where I can find an original Tested 5394?

Post by ofawoo »

Hello, my second post here. I'm enjoying the site quite a lot--I know I'm late to find this site, but I'm glad I did. OK, down to business. I am trying to find a Tested or earlier 5394. Of course, whether I can afford it is another matter altogether, so I'm not necessarily looking for anything near a mint example. If you have one you are willing to part with I would much appreciate a PM. A link to some pics would be nice.
Thanks again for a great site and nice folks to talk knife talk "knife" with, Hartley Wootton
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Anyone know where I can find an original Tested 5394?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK Hartley. I guess you're starting us off with a real challenge on the Tested 5394! :lol: I don't have one but at least one member here does. Whether he'll part with it is a good question. ::hmm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Mountain Man Knives

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

ofawoo wrote:Hello, my second post here. I'm enjoying the site quite a lot--I know I'm late to find this site, but I'm glad I did. OK, down to business. I am trying to find a Tested or earlier 5394. Of course, whether I can afford it is another matter altogether, so I'm not necessarily looking for anything near a mint example. If you have one you are willing to part with I would much appreciate a PM. A link to some pics would be nice.
Thanks again for a great site and nice folks to talk knife talk "knife" with, Hartley Wootton

Beseech you good luck and fortune finding one, these seem to be pretty rare and Valuable ~

viewtopic.php?t=33874 ::tu::
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Hartley, welcome to AAPK! We'd love to see pictures of your knives.

I'm not looking to part ways with the knives pictured below for your reference. You asked about a 5394 and there is a picture of an example plus another picture of a 5394 1/2 just in case you were asking generically about a 3 blade stag 94 pattern. I believe the 5394 was only made in the Gunboat frame. The 5394 1/2 is in a cigar frame with a clip master blade. As far as stag 94's, in addition to the 5394 and 5394 1/2, I believe there is a 5294X (2 blade gunboat), 5294J (large cigar/moose), and 05294 (equal end jack). There are green bone counterparts to the preceding list of patterns except for the 3 blade gunboat. The 6394 is a cigar pattern with a spear master.
Attachments
Case Tested XX 5394 Gunboat
Case Tested XX 5394 Gunboat
Case Tested XX 5394 1/2 Large Cigar
Case Tested XX 5394 1/2 Large Cigar
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Wow Ralph!! That 94 1/2 is absolutely gorgeous!! My word... ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
ofawoo

Post by ofawoo »

Thanks a lot for the posts guys. I have several but none in the condition of yours Ralph. I do also have a 5294 gunboat, but the blades are worn to about nothing. My favorite is a W.R. Case and Sons 5394 however, there is a chunk of stag missing from the rear handle--if I could find some appropriate stag of roughly the same age and wear as the front, I would have it replaced. I don't mean to sound ungrateful for those I have, but I would like a better example than those I already have, most of which are pretty rough. At any rate, thank you all for the responses. I'll keep this request out there for awhile--waiting to see what pops up. Thanks again, Hartley
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Mike, thanks for the compliment on the 5394 1/2.

Hartley, a 5294X Gunboat in any condition is a treasure! I'd be very grateful to see any pictures you could post. I love the big spear blade and how when it's closed lines of blade blend seamlessly into the curve of the bolsters on both ends of the blade. This is the pattern I most wish they would resurrect.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

ofawoo, we would love to see some pictures of your knives, regardless of condition. we enjoy them all.
ofawoo

Post by ofawoo »

I'll try to get some pics put up. Don't have any at this point, so will take some time. I warn you though, the 94s I have are rough. Ralph, the 5294 you wanted to see has lost a lot of the elements you so like in that pattern. Unfortunately, someone sharpened the blades down to a little more than slivers. The only letters I can make out on the tang would make it a Bradford era knife, but honestly I can barely make that much out. The blades are original, but it was sharpened with an old carborundum stone I believe, and done in such a way that the one doing it rubbed the stone at an angle that drug it over the tang, thus removing steel with every stroke. It's the kind of thing you've probably seen many times, regretting the fact that the old timers weren't thinking of us later collectors. Talk to you later. Hartley

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”