Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
RalphAlsip

Re: Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by RalphAlsip »

The upcoming series with the Rangers is being played in Tampa. Not sure where the Astros "home" games will be played after that.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

CheckSix wrote:Just out of curiosity, how are the Houston Astros going to play home games? Anyone know?
This one is a real head scratcher! MLB announced today the Rangers/Astros series scheduled to start Tuesday will be played at Tropicana Field in Tampa, home of the Rays. As is the Astros' next series over Labor Day week-end. Tropicana is arguably one of the worst baseball venues in all of MLB. The domed stadium has wierd quirks, like an off-white colored roof where fly balls, fair and foul that would normally be easy outs, are frequently lost by fielders and drop in for hits. Plus catwalks and roof supports which are occasionally hit by batted balls - the ground rules say these are in-play. ::woot:: Granted these affect both teams but games can be won or lost on fluke quirks!

But probably more strange is that the Rays annually are at or near the worst attendance in MLB, even when they field a contender. Why do they think those fans will turn out to see the Rangers and Astros? And to add more mystery to the decision, last I heard the weather guessers are saying it's possible Tampa may have its own weather event later in this week. ::shrug::

Offhand I can think of a half-dozen better places to have played these games - at least play them in a baseball town! ::facepalm::

Rant ended - over and out! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Attachments
DIWROUbVAAExTbu.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The whole story is in the link you posted. Houston, as home team, had the final say in the matter. The Rangers, trying to get a wild card playoff spot, didn't want to end the season with a 12-game, four city road trip, which is what would happen if they swapped series with Houston. The Rangers offered to play the games in Arlington with Houston as the home team, and with Houston receiving all the revenues minus expenses. Both teams were already in Dallas anyway. Houston couldn't get back home Sunday from their series with LAA due to the Houston airports being closed, so they came to Dallas instead.

Reid Ryan makes it sound like the Rangers were totally unreasonable. Sounds like a whining politician to me - must have graduated from the Chuckie Schumer school for liars! :roll: :lol:

And still doesn't explain --- why Tampa of all places?!! ::mdm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

White Sox are up in Minnesota so Guaranteed Rate Field looks to be free, but maybe Tampa was the only place that was willing to accommodate them? We may never know what went on behind closed doors.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Some sanity emerged today regarding this, in an MLB news release. Summarizing, it said the Astros, Rangers, and MLB reviewed various options and mutually agreed on Tampa. The Rays volunteered their stadium for the Astros use, as did others (un-named, but St. Louis was mentioned also). The Rangers also volunteered the use of their stadium.

Quote from Reid Ryan on MLB site
We started looking at whatever options were out there - St. Louis, Tampa. The Rangers offered to host us this week, but not switch games with us......... We really looked at what is in the best interest of the integrity of the schedule. They (the Rangers) didn't want to end up the season playing a 12-game road trip. We just feel like in the interest of our players, that if we lose both the Rangers and Mets series at home, going to one location with a roof and knowing we're going to get the games in was a better situation for us.
My take - there was no guarantee the storm won't move north into the Dallas area, or even St. Louis, neither of which are domed stadiums. The domed stadium in Tampa is a better bet to get the games played. The Lastros Spring Training complex is in West Palm Beach, so they have at least some fan base in Florida to draw from.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

It would be heartwarming if a whole bunch of people in Tampa went to these 3 games with the Rangers, to support the Astros.

Someone down there in Tampa needs to get on radio and TV and make a plea to the public to get their arses in there to see all 3 games.
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

The Phils have an old fashioned one ticket double header today with the Bravos due to last nights rain out. Have a great day for it.
steve99f
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

steve99f wrote:The Phils have an old fashioned one ticket double header today with the Bravos due to last nights rain out. Have a great day for it.
A great throwback blast from the past. I remember when these were commonplace. The player's Union, pitchers that can't pitch more than 6 innings, and owner greed have combined to just about end this "two for the price of one" fan bargain. As Mr. Cub said "Let's play two!"

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Makes me wish I could afford MLB. I's like to see that game. Games at Tropicana Field tend to hold my interest.

Are the Astros and/or the Rangers targeting any of the proceeds from this series towards flood relief for the citizens of south Texas?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote:Makes me wish I could afford MLB. I's like to see that game. Games at Tropicana Field tend to hold my interest.

Are the Astros and/or the Rangers targeting any of the proceeds from this series towards flood relief for the citizens of south Texas?
All teams involved (Rays, Rangers, and Astros) are donating all proceeds to disaster relief.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Good on them. ::tu:: ::groove::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I watched the game last night on television - there were a LOT of empty seats. Box score today says attendance was 3,485. ::teary_eyes:: In post game interview one of the players said the attendance reminded him of minor league games.

As I said previously, Tampa Bay is known for poor attendance. Combine that with short notice, week night game, and that's what I was concerned would happen. But had hoped for better.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

steve99f

Post by steve99f »

RA Dickey the flutterballer killed us in the first game. The second game is going better at a 1-1 tie, bottom of the third. Phils are doing weird things with their defense. Our shortstop is centerfield for this game. Don't know why.
steve99f
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

steve99f wrote:Our shortstop is centerfield for this game. Don't know why.
Oh, put me in coach, I'm ready to play
Put me in coach, I'm ready to play, today
Look at me, I can be centerfield.

- John Fogerty

That pretty much explains it Steve! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I like it Ken. Good song too. ::ds::

Seems to be Galvis' attitude, whatever it takes, I'll do what the team needs. That's from the Coach. He said he wanted to this other guy Floriman at SS, see how he did. More of that coming on Sept 1.

Oh yeah, they lost both ends of the DH. Teheran looked sharp today have to say.
steve99f
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well I guess I should chime in here and congratulate the Braves on winning the double header today but with what's looming ahead I don't want to get too giddy. 4 with the Cubs then 3 with the Rangers. ::teary_eyes::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Cubs and Pirates is going very well for the Cubs so far. 13-3 in the 6th. I'm not crazy about these blow-out games. It seems they are harbingers of bad things to come (next day loss).

Edit: Schwarber hit his 2nd round-tripper of the game in the 7th, making it 15-3. There's just something about these high scoring games that takes the shine off of those kinds of accomplishments. (for me anyway)

Baez stole home early in the game (or was that last night? I can't remember.). He's the first MLB player in quite some time to hit an in the park home run and steal home in the same season.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

gsmith7158 wrote:Well I guess I should chime in here and congratulate the Braves on winning the double header today but with what's looming ahead I don't want to get too giddy. 4 with the Cubs then 3 with the Rangers. ::teary_eyes::
I wouldn't worry too much about the Rangers Greg. This year they have a propensity to play down to the level of the competition. Recently they swept the Lastros, took 3 of 4 from the Angels, then got swept by Oakland (owners of the 2nd worst record in the AL). Now they've won 2 in a row from Houston. ::super_happy::

If trends hold the Braves will beat them like a drum. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Mumbleypeg wrote:But probably more strange is that the Rays annually are at or near the worst attendance in MLB, even when they field a contender.
Florida is terrible at baseball. And sportsfanning in general. With the possible exception of the Dolphins, there is just zero love for home teams in any major sport here, unless there is a serious contender (and only for that period of time) -- and in Tampa's case, usually not even then. :lol:

I've often worried about losing my only outlet for semi-regular live Mets baseball -- having an NL East team nearby -- because Marlins fans got a ridiculously nice (if sterile) new stadium yet still refuse to fill it. ::facepalm:: This Jeter thing only seems like delaying the inevitable, though I hope I'm wrong -- I have no interest in driving to Atlanta to watch my Amazins play. Even Tampa might be a bridge too far for interleague baseball (the DH is an abomination, I don't care how much more offense it generates). ::td::

Guess that's my rant over too. :lol:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Plus 1 on the DH being an abomination.

And I don't like batting gloves either. :x Pine tar used to be good enough. All I see out of it is the incessant fiddling with the damn things at the plate.

There, I feel better now.
steve99f
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

steve99f wrote:Plus 1 on the DH being an abomination.
Plus 783 on that issue. Baseball is a simple game where you throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Pitchers in the American League aren't doing their job completely. Bunch of coddled, powder puff baby, namby pambies. Actually, I think pitchers in the National League should take a little (or a lot as the case warrants) more batting practice. The iconic Babe Ruth is remembered more for his hitting than he is for his pitching.

Rant suspended pending rebuttles. :mrgreen:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

One of my favorite Top 5 things in MLB, is when a pitcher gets a key hit or HR during a game and helps his own cause. I forget what game it was last year during the season but Jon Lester for the Cubs laid down a perfect bunt and I was just thrilled that he executed it so well. Better than the normal "batters" could do.

I found it! This was freaking awesome!! It was against the Mariners last year. In the 12th, Lester lays down the perfect bunt and J-Hey scores for the walk-off win.
Here it is....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abx7Ua8UnNU
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Y'all are reminding me of the days when the great Bob Gibson often pinch hit, pinch ran, and even on occasion played in the field. His lifetime batting average despite very little BP was .206. If you pay any attention to modern statistics, his lifetime WAR as a hitter hitter was 8.0 (as a pitcher it was 89!). If he hadn't been one of the premier pitchers ever, he could easily have been a position player.

I'm no fan of the DH either. But it's only a matter of time before the DH will be universal. Follow the money. ::tear::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

One of my favorite mantras Ken, "It's all about the money". Splain to me why the DH is related to money. I'm not real bright and often 'don't get it'.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”