Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
zp4ja

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by zp4ja »

Very cool Bruce. Thanks for sharing. Nothing cooler than an airborne fish on a hook. Sometimes trout do it, always a joy.
Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
big monk

Post by big monk »

Congrats Bruce !!!! ------------ or should we call you ""Old Fisherman "" now ??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Bruce you have given us something to dream about. Thanks for sharing your adventure. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That's pretty awesome Bruce. Wow!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks guys, I'm still pretty high about it today - and realizing just how lucky I was to be a part of a day like that. Bruce
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Watching the grandsons after school yesterday.....chopped some wood (both used 6 lb mauls) for the campers!!!

First pic is the stack I made BEFORE I picked them up!!
Attachments
20170816_162912.jpg
20170816_183019.jpg
20170816_183017.jpg
20170816_180407.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Scott, I was just thinking while looking at your photos that with the outdoor experiences you provide them your grandsons are likely years ahead of most similarly aged boys in their levels of self confidence and maturity. Just a hunch.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Good stuff Scott - looking forward to the cool nights of late fall - I know those boys will be ready for a campfire using THEIR wood! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Snapped this handsome Dude earlier this morning from the veranda.
Australia's famous Laughing Kookaburra .... actually part of the Kingfisher Family but a very BIG one .
For reference the post is about 10 inches across.
We have several 'regulars' that hang out around the house and take very little notice of us.
DSCN6224.JPG
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Brumbydownunder,
That's a good picture. I've always heard the name 'Kookaburra' with not a clue as to what he would look like. There is a some resemblance to our Kingfisher, at least in the size and shape of the big beak, the top of the head feathers are different and of course the coloration is different. We see the Kingfishers sitting on power lines that cross waterways, ponds or ditches quite often, waiting to dive down and catch a small fish.
Thanks for expanding our horizon! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Brumbydownunder wrote:Snapped this handsome Dude earlier this morning from the veranda.
Australia's famous Laughing Kookaburra .... actually part of the Kingfisher Family but a very BIG one .
For reference the post is about 10 inches across.
We have several 'regulars' that hang out around the house and take very little notice of us.

DSCN6224.JPG
KOOL pic!! NICE bird!! That's a first for me!! Thanks for taking time to share!! ::tu:: ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Very cool photo of a very cool bird,thaks for sharing. ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Just had to do some research and discovered that according to Wikipedia, Kookaburras are terrestrial tree kingfishers.
They sure are noisy buggers.

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Jerry watching that video makes me glad we don't have those birds around here. :mrgreen:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Nice Kookaburra photo, Brumby. I see Kingfishers often when I am kayaking, and that Kookaburra does have a family resemblance. I have a fondness for vocal birds, heck, for any kind of birds.
Mel
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

philco wrote:Jerry watching that video makes me glad we don't have those birds around here. :mrgreen:
Me too, Phil. Had to turn that video off pretty quick!!
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Had the boys and a couple dads out last Sunday....nothin' fancy.

Last pic is me......the dad snapped the pic just as the wood split!!
Attachments
20170820_122949.jpg
20170820_133237.jpg
20170820_133603.jpg
778.jpeg
SCOTT

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Great pictures Scott. Judging by your biceps I suspect you never lost an arm wrestling contest. :lol:
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Quick Steel,
I was thinking the same thing. Would be nice to be young and strong again! I believe I could take on the young dude in the second picture, cuttin' the small log, as long as he kept using a maul and I had my sharp axe. :)
Scott, it's a shame you don't have your group of youngsters on a farm or ranch somewhere and they kept the same attitude, you'd have a great crew! Learnin' by doin' is a great thing.
Treefarmer

RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The best physical condition I was ever in, after leaving the Army, was when a friend and I spent about three years cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking and using hardwood to heat our houses with Buck stoves, following the 1972 Oil Embargo.

Sometimes I think about getting a big round section of oak or hickory to just swing a ten or fifteen pound sledge onto as an upper body workout.

Scott, you are just about the best grandfather I know, myself included.

Keep at it.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Thanks fellas.....much appreciated!
SCOTT

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That does look like a fun day Scott. Does the park just leave that wood for folks to use? A nice idea for sure. Still kind of hot to be splitting firewood, though! The boys probably do not even notice the heat if they are having fun. I agree that you are a great Grandfather to help those boys experience a side of life that a lot of youngsters never get to live.

A couple of days this week I was cutting suckers off of trees in my yard, using a pruning saw. About a half hour on my knees sawing and then dragging stuff to my brush pile and I was ready for a shower and the AC.
Mel
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Today's Short Fishing
Attachments
IMG_4878.JPG
IMG_4879.JPG
IMG_4881.JPG
IMG_4882.JPG
IMG_4888.JPG
IMG_4890.JPG
IMG_4891.JPG
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Dinadan wrote:That does look like a fun day Scott. Does the park just leave that wood for folks to use? A nice idea for sure. Still kind of hot to be splitting firewood, though! The boys probably do not even notice the heat if they are having fun. I agree that you are a great Grandfather to help those boys experience a side of life that a lot of youngsters never get to live.

Thanks Mel!
Hot, it was BRUTAL, but like you said.....and we discussed at the football game yesterday....the kids don't seem to acknowledge the heat, especially when they're having fun.
SCOTT

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

It's that time of the year when folks in our area of the country start working on fall food plots for Bambi and company.
This season I had planned to do something different, plant inside the pine plantation in a row where all the trees had been removed in a thinning operation several years ago. There is a row just inside the pines that is adjacent to my old food plot, that will fit the bill. We have used it for a fire line and a road for several years so it was easy to mow and disk.
The good news 1st: Last Saturday afternoon I ran a bush-hog 3 times down the 16' X 300' space. Then I ran the disk harrow over it 4 or 5 times and it is ready to plant.
The not so good news: After talking to an actual live representative of Pennington Seed Co. today, I found out the clover I want to plant has some critical points to consider before it's put on the ground. I've settled on Durana Clover, it is very tolerant of shade. The only draw back is the recommended planting date is very late because of our warm fall weather, Oct.15-Nov.15. Planted that late it will probably not produce any deer forage this season, so it will actually be for the 2018-19 season. Gotta' start some time. ::shrug:: I'll have to fluff up some of the old food plot and plant something that will be up and growing by Thanksgiving, probably Abruzzi Rye or some type of forage oats.
This will be the smallest food plot we done in many years, it's only a hair over a 1/10 of an acre. The reason it is only 300 feet long is that is all you can see from the existing shooting house, the other end is obscured by some natural stand of mixed hardwoods and pines. The smaller plot appeals to me as it is just gettin' harder to do some of the things I did several years ago.
As we work with this plot, I hope to be able to up date our progress and show some pictures of what is going on. Here are is some evidence of what was done Saturday:
1st pass with disk after mowing.
1st pass with disk after mowing.
Ready to plant, but about 45 days too early.
Ready to plant, but about 45 days too early.
The old faithful shootin' house overlooking the original food food plot, the new plot and a block of pines.
The old faithful shootin' house overlooking the original food food plot, the new plot and a block of pines.
Treefarmer

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”