Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
kossetx

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by kossetx »

Here is a recent addition and a good why. In the late 70's to early 80's I was stationed aboard the USS Camden, one of only 2 ships stationed out of the Puget Sound Navel Shipyard in Bremerton, WA. I was a troubled kid from a Westen PA steel town and the Navy and WA state helped change that. Heading out to muster in the morning and seeing Rainer in the distance I knew the world was OK.

Keeping the memory alive...
Attachments
image.jpg
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

kossetx wrote:Here is a recent addition and a good why. In the late 70's to early 80's I was stationed aboard the USS Camden, one of only 2 ships stationed out of the Puget Sound Navel Shipyard in Bremerton, WA. I was a troubled kid from a Westen PA steel town and the Navy and WA state helped change that. Heading out to muster in the morning and seeing Rainer in the distance I knew the world was OK.

Keeping the memory alive...
The military got a lot of our heads screwed on straight. ::handshake::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Been awhile since I've added a Buck to my collection - this Buck 110 Folding Hunter is the last pre-dot version (72-74). OH
Attachments
Buck 110 Three Line 1972-74.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

That's a beauty OH ::tu:: I gave my last pre dot to my son in law .
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks Dogg, I've cleaned it up a bit since I took the picture yesterday. Your son-in-law is lucky to have you for a father-in-law! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thanx OH ::handshake:: He's from Mass olechewzetts,trying to get him into the outdoor life :wink:
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

You'll do it Dogg - he's gotta regular Daniel Boone for a FIL, so he'll learn. I'm working on my daughter's fiance (when I get the chance), he's a rural boy from NW Georgia but never hunted outside of small game. Took him duck hunting last season, but more to come this season. OH
Ps I gave him a Buck 110 "50th Anniversary" Folding Hunter last Christmas.
Attachments
IMG_9806.JPG
bertl

Post by bertl »

Old Hunter wrote:Been awhile since I've added a Buck to my collection - this Buck 110 Folding Hunter is the last pre-dot version (72-74). OH
OH, there is one version between yours and the two dots. It has the 5th Version blade but the larger sintered frame like the two dots have. Take a look at the relative position of the rear handle pin. Also, the rear bolster is slightly different; the top of the bolster where it meets the wood is a little thicker.

Bert
Transition.JPG
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks for the advanced info on the pre-dot Buck 110 Bert. One more for me to keep an eye open for now! OH
Chayes

Post by Chayes »

The 883 2 blade with a modified drop point and a serrated sheep's foot is my daily carry as it's solid aluminum body is indestructible and it will cut nearly anything. My "dress carry" is the 831 Marksman Tanto.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

My newest addition, 1990 #312BB Mini Trapper, NIB w/ papers. Why? Why not?? ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_1399.JPG
IMG_1404.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Great logic nice knife Baykeep ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Wow, Syd. A Buck that doesn't have black saw cut or wood handles? I didn't know there was such a creature. I think I like it.

Edit: just cruising eBay for these. From the prices, looks like they're Pacific Rim??
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bertl

Post by bertl »

jerryd6818 wrote:Wow, Syd. A Buck that doesn't have black saw cut or wood handles? I didn't know there was such a creature. I think I like it.

Edit: just cruising eBay for these. From the prices, looks like they're Pacific Rim??
The 312 had sort of a short life, from about 1990-1998, but it was always made by Buck.

Bert
312 ABCA Lifetime.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thank you for the info.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

jerryd6818 wrote:Wow, Syd. A Buck that doesn't have black saw cut or wood handles? I didn't know there was such a creature. I think I like it.

Glad you like it, I do too! Pacific Rim meaning imports?? Absolutely not, they were made in Buck's factory in California, (long before they moved to Idaho). They made the #312 Mini Trapper & #314 Trapper there in the 90's, their finest manufacturing period IMHO. They made other Trappers too in the US, #329 & #334 were SFO's & were made by Camillus in NY.
The Buck Trappers you routinely see for pittance prices on Ebay are imports though, but those with model numbers in the lower 300's are all US made. The #312, #314, #329, & #334 are ALL US-made, (and therefore MUCH more expensive). The US variety don't show up for sale near as often as the imports on the bay, so I'm not surprised you didn't see another like mine at this particular moment, (there IS a #314 listed right now though). I can't remember the import model numbers, but anything over #334 is imported.
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

Nice find,Syd.

Bert
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote:
The 312 had sort of a short life, from about 1990-1998, but it was always made by Buck.

Bert

312 ABCA Lifetime.jpg
Wow Bert, that's a beauty!! That is the first smooth Buck Bone #312 I've seen a photo of, and I love the color, you are always full of surprises my friend. Knowing those are still out there keeps me going.
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

Syd, there are three versions of that blue bone 312. Two of them have the stamped blades for ABCA and were serialized. For the life member version the serial number starts with and "L". The third version, which I prefer, has no blade stamp or serial number. It's just a plain blue bone 312.

Bert
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote:Syd, there are three versions of that blue bone 312. Two of them have the stamped blades for ABCA and were serialized. For the life member version the serial number starts with and "L". The third version, which I prefer, has no blade stamp or serial number. It's just a plain blue bone 312.

Bert
Hopefully I'll get to see some of those versions next August at the BCCI event in Post Falls, (and more I hope), I already informed my family I was going, so barring some unforeseen event I intend on being there.
I just really like the 312, always have, to me it's the most traditional Trapper Buck ever made or commissioned. The 314 is just a bit big for my taste, but they both have those beautifully hollow ground blades, which is my favorite thing about both of those models. Compared to the 312 the SFO 329 pales by comparison if you ask me. Of course I have at least one of each of all of them, but the 312 is my fave.
Thanks for showing me a photo of yet something else that I simply must have, (eventually, hopefully).
BCCI Member #2863
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's my last two Bucks.
010.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Wazu are those factory fresh or have they been given an after market modification ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
bertl

Post by bertl »

Syd,

Last night, 300Bucks pointed that there are four of the blue bone 312s. In addition to those I mentioned there is an ABCA knife with engraved bolsters. I don't think 300Bucks will mind if I share his photo.

Bert
312sGroup.JPG
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote:Syd,

Last night, 300Bucks pointed that there are four of the blue bone 312s. In addition to those I mentioned there is an ABCA knife with engraved bolsters. I don't think 300Bucks will mind if I share his photo.

Bert

312sGroup.JPG
Wow indeed! Is that black 312 smooth bone or standard Delrin?? Leave it to 300 to have all the cool goodies as well as the production info. I sincerely hope I get to see examples of these and others in Post Falls next year. Thanks for the photo, if it was a print in my hands I would be drooling on it. ::drool::
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I don't usually chase special editions, limited editions, etc., but I wanted to own this one. I organized our local FONRA committee in 1995, we had our first banquet in 1996. Except for a couple of years I have been on the committee since start-up - this year was the FONRA 25th anniversary and NRA offered several etched knives - two Buck's, a Case, and a custom. I got the Case and one of the Buck's, this 110 with an etched blade. OH
Attachments
Buck 110 - FONRA 2017 25th - MFG 2016.JPG

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”