Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Camillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by Camillus »

Fine job on the stock !

Camillus
Camillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Camillus »

Fine job on the stock !

Camillus
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

BEAUTIFUL job on that 94 Monk ::tu:: ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
big monk

Post by big monk »

treefarmer wrote:Looks great, Big Monk! ::tu:: What else you gonna' redo?
Only 10 weeks? We have till Thanksgiving morning in this part of Florida. :(
Treefarmer
Thanks guys for all the ::tu:: comments !!! ::tu::

Hey Phil -- just broke down a 1977 Remington 788 in 308 cal. -- before I got it, someone did a refinish with varnish / polyurethane and left runs in the finish -- it is a tac-driver and all metal in great shape,so after seeing how the Tru-Oil finish looked on the Winchester, I'm gona' do the same to the Remington -- This 788 is one of a few, I've seen with some pretty grain to the wood ( may be walnut ?? ) -- most are birch wood,with little to no grain**___ will post some pictures,when Bryan gets all the "new server" bugs worked out ( thanks,Bryan for all you do !!! ::nod:: )
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

big monk,
I'm interested in how your 788 turns out. We have a 788 .243 with the carbine length bbl. and it too is a tack driver. My son killed his 1st deer with it using the factory iron sights about 30 years ago. I'm pretty sure our 788 doesn't have a walnut stock, it's kinda' raggedy lookin' but it'll do a number on Bambi! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice looking stock, monk. ::tu:: Looking forward to the other one. ::tu::
Joe
big monk

Post by big monk »

treefarmer wrote:big monk,
I'm interested in how your 788 turns out. We have a 788 .243 with the carbine length bbl. and it too is a tack driver. My son killed his 1st deer with it using the factory iron sights about 30 years ago. I'm pretty sure our 788 doesn't have a walnut stock, it's kinda' raggedy lookin' but it'll do a number on Bambi! ::tu::
Treefarmer
Hey Phil / Joe -- Day #1 Remington 788 --- got the Remington 788 started today --- found out right away,that not only did the previous try at a finish use ( varnish or polyurethane ?? ) but didn't remove the original finish either ?? ( seems it was just rough sanded then painted over* ), even had dry / aged, polyurethane on the seated under side of the barrel**___________made for a bit more sanding on my part !!!!! --- got it cleaned up,washed,and the first coat of ""blended Mineral Spirits & Tru-Oil"" -- will put another coat or two of the blend, with good drying time in between -- thanks for all the comments & support _______I'll update as I progress**________ Monk ::tu::
1. the start
2. & 3. -- stripped,sanded & prepped
4. & 5. -- first coat of blended Tru-Oil after drying 4 hours
Attachments
IMG_2039 (2).JPG
IMG_2064 (2).JPG
IMG_2065 (3).JPG
IMG_2071 (2).JPG
IMG_2072 (2).JPG

MONK****
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That stock does have some pretty grain, especially the left side. Do you still think it is Birch? We used to buy Birch veneered classroom doors and some of them were just plain beautiful.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Monk, it's nice to see a work in progress. I think it's going to be a real success. ::tu::
Joe
big monk

Post by big monk »

treefarmer wrote:That stock does have some pretty grain, especially the left side. Do you still think it is Birch? We used to buy Birch veneered classroom doors and some of them were just plain beautiful.
Treefarmer
don't really know -- seems light for Walnut, but does have a lot of grain on the one side ?? --- reading up on the production years, most think only a few of the"early" rifles had limited numbers with Walnut stocks,all others had some type of ""hardwood"" but I can't narrow a certain type down* -- the rifle I have is a 1977 and they started producing the .308 in 1969 -- most of the Birch Wood,does not have a lot of grain to it ( most that you see, are like the two pictured below** ) I think Birch Wood, is what most of the 788 stocks are made of ?? -- I'm hoping, mine will darken up as I progress with the oil rubs,and really highlight the wood grain -- we will see** :)
Attachments
Remington 788 Rifles.jpg

MONK****
big monk

Post by big monk »

FRJ wrote:Monk, it's nice to see a work in progress. I think it's going to be a real success. ::tu::
Thanks Joe --- I'll try to keep you guys with me, on this ""roller coaster ride"" as I continue with this project** :)

MONK****
big monk

Post by big monk »

Day #3 progress, on the Remington 788 :) -- starting to make some progress ::hmm::
Attachments
IMG_2075 (2).JPG
IMG_2077 (2).JPG

MONK****
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Well, it did darken up and it looks great. ::tu::
Nice job Monk!
Joe
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Very nice, Monk. ::tu::

We had grain matched Birch doors in my high school. All were very pretty, but in a few one with a vivid and prurient imagination could see sexually oriented displays.

Just saying. ::shrug::

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
big monk

Post by big monk »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Very nice, Monk. ::tu::

We had grain matched Birch doors in my high school. All were very pretty, but in a few one with a vivid and prurient imagination could see sexually oriented displays.

Charlie Noyes
Now that you mention it Charlie ::hmm:: I do have some different type ""feelings"" for the stock ?? ________ especially,when I'm rubbing in the finger layers & stroking the ""grain"" ___ maybe that's them vivid & prurient type imagination type things,you speak of ::shrug:: ::paranoid:: ::paranoid::

MONK****
Black Lion

Post by Black Lion »

big monk wrote:
RobesonsRme.com wrote:Very nice, Monk. ::tu::

Charlie Noyes
Now that you mention it Charlie ::hmm:: I do have some different type ""feelings"" for the stock ?? ________ especially,when I'm rubbing in the finger layers & stroking the ""grain"" ___ maybe that's them vivid & prurient type imagination type things,you speak of ::shrug:: ::paranoid:: ::paranoid::
As I recall the recommended oil for military weapons, LSA, was sperm oil based. You could always say you were merely lubing the rifle. ::tu::
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Your stock is lookin' good Monk! Can't wait to see the finished piece.
steve99f
big monk

Post by big monk »

steve99f wrote:Your stock is lookin' good Monk! Can't wait to see the finished piece.
thanks Steve** ::tu:: --- Day #6 -- I finished up the Remington 788 & got it back together,bore sighted the scope and will take it to the range soon,just to make sure all is right :) -- ended up putting about 8 coats of Tru-Oil on the rifle,with a little buffing & sanding in between coats ( seem to darken it some & bring out the grain** ) -- polished the stock, with some car wax, then rubbed all the metal with Rem-Wax,before assembly, as an added precaution. I am pleased with the results and enjoyed the venture,hope you guys did too**__________have a great day my friends,Monk ::tu::

First photo is what I started with ( a very bad refinish job,with polyurethane & brush )
Attachments
IMG_2039 (2).JPG
IMG_2078 (2).JPG
IMG_2081 (2).JPG
IMG_2090 (3).JPG
IMG_2088 (3).JPG

MONK****
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

It's a beautiful gun now Monk. Well done. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
big monk

Post by big monk »

Thanks,Phil ::tu:: ::tu::

Had been meaning to scope out one of my Browning BLR's lever rifles ( just could not make up my mind which one ) __ decided on this 1996 Lightning Model 7mm-08 -- it had been hunted with a few times & had a few nicks/dings,when I got it and the .308 I have is new in the box** -- I took the Bushnell scope off the Winchester 94,I recently acquired, I had already puchased the DNZ one piece mount,about a month ago* --- as you can see, this one did not have sling swivels ( the other one came with em') -- I have the sling swivel screws ordered & plan on installing them myself !!! ::woot:: ( something else,I have never attempted ) -- I had never shot a 7mm-08 before I got this rifle , I took it down to the hunt club last year & shot a few rounds at targets -- seems it does have a little kick ?? ( all I have read said, this is a great ladies/kids caliper ::hmm:: hope it's going to be great for an""Ol' Coggerr"" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: __________we shall see, later on Monk ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_2098 (2).JPG
IMG_2099 (2).JPG

MONK****
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Great job on the Remington Monk. That Browning should handle well for you and 7-08 is icing on the cake. Probably less recoil than your 308. None of that matters on stand tho. ::suspense::
steve99f
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

You turned out a beautiful gun in that Remington, Monk. Very nice!

That Browning is a fine looking rifle.
Joe
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Very nice work on that stock, Monk!
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

My newest purchase - a Remington V3 in walnut.

I've put 300 rds through it so far. It had 1 failure to eject on about the 5th round through it, and has been flawless for the last 295 or so rounds. The spent shell got caught sideways when the bolt closed on that one failure.

I think Remington has a winner with this one. A tick over 7 lbs, nice walnut, made in the U.S.A., very soft shooting, and an unheard of lifetime warranty......and for less than $600. The black synthetic ones are less than $500.

Remington also has a $100 rebate on them coming up later this month, which will make them even less expensive.

Now I just need to start hitting what I am shooting at with it :roll: ....I have a pheasant hunt coming up in a few months.
Attachments
Remington V3 2017 a.jpg
Remington V3 2017 b.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Unk, I find the checking pattern on the wrist and slide exceptionally attractive. Congrats! ::tu::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”