GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
big monk

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Post by big monk »

Autumn Bone ""SOLD"" to Dave ---thank you sir, Monk ::handshake:: ::tu::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

big monk wrote:Autumn Bone ""SOLD"" to Dave ---thank you sir, Monk ::handshake:: ::tu::
And YOU SIR have made my day today and then some!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: :D

Dave
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I am still on the hunt for a Northfield #772115 Barlow, single spear blade, in Smooth Ivory Bone.
That is the only one I now need to complete my little assortment.
Thanks.

Dave
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Did anyone look at or buy the "# 14 Lick Creek Barlow" that was released yesterday ?
I got to the dealer website at the same second he posted them. I could have nabbed one. They lasted about 3-4 minutes.
What put me off is price: $130-$140.
For similar knives in # 18 (bit smaller) or # 15 (bit larger) the prices are $82 - $94.
Are the C. Campagna SFO's (which this Lick Creek is; Lyle musta lent him the name) finished to a higher standard than a regular run GEC ? I think not but i know Charlie has very high standards so is it possible that he insists on and gets, more time spent on fitting & finishing ?
If these C. Campagna SFO's are finished to a higher standard, then i have no problem with the higher price and next time will attempt a 'nab'.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

What better way to revive this old thread than by posting my AAPK #74 SFO from when it was fresh out of the tube... :mrgreen:
32439406341_ee26194b06_b.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I posted this in the thread for GEC #48 but received no replies so i am posting the same question here.
A new GEC #48 has just been released as an SFO for KSF, the Northwoods Hawthorne. Northwoods knives are known for having more 'upscale' handles. I have been collecting one of each new Northwoods release choosing either ivory or mammoth.
I was at the KSF website the second these Hawthornes became available and was able to see all or maybe nearly all, of the mammoth handles knives. I did not buy one because all of the mammoth looked rather dull and plain, uninteresting. For the extra $100 i want mammoth that has some color and 'life' to it. Past Northwoods offerings have had more colorful interesting mammoth.
Did anyone else have a look at the mammoth Hawthornes and if so, what do you think of the mammoth ?
kj
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I am not a mammoth fan but have found sometimes the knife you get looks a lot better in person than in the pics the sites show.. ::shrug:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I wasn't aware of Northwoods #48 releases this time but in the past, I've been disappointed with some of the mammoth on the Northwoods "premium" knives. The Esky Zulu seemed to be totally hit-or-miss; either you'd end up with an outstanding and eye-catching set of mammoth handles or they'd look almost boring. The same variance was observed in the camel bone, but after seeing so many camel bone knives I'm more used to that. Perhaps it's just my lack of experience with mammoth ivory, but I think I'd almost rather go through a knife artisan and arrange to pick out my slabs than take a shot at a 2D photo on KSF's site or other dealers for a premium, high-end (and high-priced) knife like that.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

No matter. There all gone.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for your posts in reply. I do know that sometimes mammoth will look more attractive in person but sometimes dull & boring in pictures is still dull & boring in person.
Is the supply of the more colorful & interesting mammoth drying up ? Or is there one major supplier of mammoth that has the market cornered and has jacked up the price on all but the dull stuff ?
3-4 years ago the mammoth on GEC's and their SFO's was excellent. Why is it now dull ?
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

gsmith7158 wrote:No matter. There all gone.
That's why I don't even sweat the SFOs or short runs if I find out about them after they go on sale. I normally assume I'll never see one at a dealer and if I want one I'll have to pay the secondary market "bump". ::disgust::

Fortunately I got the two #48 Improved knives I wanted and I'm perfectly happy with the one that already arrived. ::tu::
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Anyone have a picture of the SFO trapper GEC did with the jigged cardinal red bone and the Ohio state shape shield? Bummed I missed out on that beauty ::td::
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

This Scagel Fruitport is a nice one from GEC 2010 run love the "oiled bone" whatever that means and the open nail nick...just wish Derrick Bohn didn't give the Scagel name up to Mike Stewart :x or we would probably still be seeing these built.
Attachments
image.jpeg
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Couple of Northwoods in Mammoth, I prefer really white ivory and got to pick that on both these knives.
Attachments
IMG_3018.jpg
IMG_5455.jpg
IMG_5457.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

John, what is the name of the Northwoods ?

Has anyone had a look at the GEC website and seen the new Maher & Grosh # 54 Moose ? Some are handled in "Antique Honey Jig Bone".
The pictures do not make this look very attractive (to me). Maybe it gets a further polishing which will brighten it up ?
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

JohnR--you scored some sweet mammoth on that Esky Zulu for sure. If the mammoth I got had looked half as good I wouldn't have sold mine two days after buying it. Mine was as dull as mud and on top of that, the blade wasn't properly centered. Huge disappointment considering the price I paid for it. (Believe it or not, this is a rare instance in which the knife actually looks better in the photos than it did in person.)
P6111576.JPG
P6111578.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Drukai wrote:This Scagel Fruitport is a nice one from GEC 2010 run love the "oiled bone" whatever that means and the open nail nick...just wish Derrick Bohn didn't give the Scagel name up to Mike Stewart :x or we would probably still be seeing these built.
Drukai--Couldn't agree more. The Scagel Wharncliffe Fruitport is one of my all-time favorite knives. A truly beautiful work of art...minimalist and graceful. Yours is very nice.
PC240371.JPG
PC240369.JPG
Here's another Scagel that I also like quite a bit:
P9150107.JPG
P9150106.JPG
P9150108.JPG

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Yes they are beauty's still wish I would have bought a clip version when they first came up for sale! That Stag looks great! ::tu::

JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thanks guys. KJ, the knives are the Madison Barlow and the Esky Zulu, wish I would have bough another of the Esky to carry, real nice feel to that knife.
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Ok finally found a picture of the #48 Ohio State shield trapper in Cardinal jigged bone
Attachments
image.jpeg

Drukai

Post by Drukai »

I think this was a Chris Tenney(sp) SFO of 25pcs..wish I didn't miss out on this run..they are very unique..and I love trappers

RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote:Did anyone else have a look at the mammoth Hawthornes and if so, what do you think of the mammoth ?
kj
Roland, I also participated in the 10 minutes long Northwoods Hawthorne sale :) . I wasn't interested in mammoth for this pattern, but I did scan over them quickly and none of them tempted me. I find it challenging to buy a knife under the pressure to make a decision and complete the transaction before the knife sells to someone who is faster. So far, I have not been disappointed with my "luck of the draw".

I did end up getting a stag Hawthorne (see below). My preference was the clip blade variation, but they sold much faster so the wharncliffe variations were easier to sift through to make a selection. The stag slabs are reasonably thin and symmetrical (the way I prefer) on this one.

This pattern would appeal to me in a lockback variation ala the Case 6151L, Remington R1253 bullet, or the Winchester variation made for Napanoch - in case anyone from Northwoods reads this :)
Attachments
Northwoods 2017 Hawthorne Jack Stag
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Good looking Hawthorne ! and i too think the clip blade is better suited to this knife.
I wanted a clip blade with outstanding mammoth handles but i did not see one which is good in that i should not have been spending money. I have some very nice mammoth on GEC & Northwoods knives. To add more i want comparable mammoth which seems to be getting hard to find.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just won a GEC "Cripple Creek" Trapper Jack (my name for this pattern). Built on a #73 frame so is 3 3/4" which i think is a great size, i prefer it over the 4 1/2" #23. And it should have flush & square joints for a touch of 'class'. Prior to seeing this one on ebay i did not know they existed. There is one in Stag shown earlier in this thread (page 1 ?)
kj
Attachments
s-l1600CC.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Joe, beautiful!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf