Handle variations! With pictures :)

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
XxTestedxX

Handle variations! With pictures :)

Post by XxTestedxX »

Surely we are all aware of the types of handles, colors and what not. Here is a picture of 8 different handles of mine pre 1970
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
XxTestedxX

Re: Handle variations! With pictures :)

Post by XxTestedxX »

-2nd cut stag
-true red bone
-xx era bone
-pretty bone
-rough black
-greenbone
-xx stag
-red stag
-2nd cut bone
-late Rogers bone
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Cool! ::tu:: ::nod::
Joe
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Nice comparison photos...beautiful knives.

Does the Red Stag Trapper show a pattern stamp beginning with "R"? (what year is that one?)

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Beautiful knives Mike, thanks for posting them!
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I like both of those long pull Stockman's in the 2nd pic
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

QTCut5 wrote:Nice comparison photos...beautiful knives.

Does the Red Stag Trapper show a pattern stamp beginning with "R"? (what year is that one?)

~Q~
Q,

This was before color was abbreviated or noted. I have seen some more Modern case with abbreviations
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:I like both of those long pull Stockman's in the 2nd pic
They're my favorite
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

XxTestedxX wrote:Does the Red Stag Trapper show a pattern stamp beginning with "R"? (what year is that one?)

This was before color was abbreviated or noted. I have seen some more Modern case with abbreviations
Yeah, that's what I was wondering.
Any idea when Case began using such prefixes?

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

QTCut5 wrote:
XxTestedxX wrote:Does the Red Stag Trapper show a pattern stamp beginning with "R"? (what year is that one?)

~Q~
Well I can say at least 94' at I have a SC64052 for "Second Cut" that oddly has blades never factory sharpened. But I seem to recall 83' when the Second Cut Stag SC prefix set came out. Others may chime in on this as it may have been on earlier knives. That is a top of the head hip shot but I think to be accurate at the moment.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

zp4ja wrote:
QTCut5 wrote:

~Q~
Well I can say at least 94' at I have a SC64052 for "Second Cut" that oddly has blades never factory sharpened. But I seem to recall 83' when the Second Cut Stag SC prefix set came out. Others may chime in on this as it may have been on earlier knives. That is a top of the head hip shot but I think to be accurate at the moment.

Jerry
1978, introduction of Appaloosa bone, was the first time Case intentionally marketed a soecific bone color. They used the letter "A" prefix in the pattern number to denote Appaloosa bone. This was followed by SR for Smooth Rose, in 1979. Steve Pfeiffer's second edition book has a detailed discussion of this, along with the introduction of other bone colors. (Up to a point anyway - after the 90s it was "off to the races" with new and different colors offered.) ::woot::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
zp4ja wrote:
QTCut5 wrote:

~Q~

Jerry
1978, introduction of Appaloosa bone, was the first time Case intentionally marketed a soecific bone color. They used the letter "A" prefix in the pattern number to denote Appaloosa bone. This was followed by SR for Smooth Rose, in 1979. Steve Pfeiffer's second edition book has a detailed discussion of this, along with the introduction of other bone colors. (Up to a point anyway - after the 90s it was "off to the races" with new and different colors offered.) ::woot::

Ken
I believe you are correct Ken. Thanks for clarification. I think SR stood for Satin Rose though.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

zp4ja wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:
zp4ja wrote:

Ken
I believe you are correct Ken. Thanks for clarification. I think SR stood for Satin Rose though.

Jerry
No credit deserved here Jerry. Without Steve's book the only thing I could have told you is that Appaloosa bone was Case's first intentional introduction of bone color. The rest is all from his wonderful work. I think you're right as to the "SR" designating Satin Rose. On page 86 the book shows a chart that says SR is Satin Rose but the accompanying text on page 87 says SR "Smooth Rose". May be a typo. ::shrug::

By the way, nice bone handle examples in the OP! ::tu:: ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

There is such a variation of colors in those bone handles that it seems odd to me that someone at Case never picked up on the marketing angle of those differences. I mean think of all the snake oil salesmen from the 1860's to present that have included lengthy and colorful descriptions of their products to aid their sales. Not a one of those guys at Case apparently.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

gsmith7158 wrote:There is such a variation of colors in those bone handles that it seems odd to me that someone at Case never picked up on the marketing angle of those differences. I mean think of all the snake oil salesmen from the 1860's to present that have included lengthy and colorful descriptions of their products to aid their sales. Not a one of those guys at Case apparently.
Good point Greg, but in the context of the times they were selling tools, not fashions. Celluloid handles were a form of color variations. Of course they and their competitors also offered customers a choice of various handle materials like bone, stag, pearl, etc. But somehow they didn't make the paradigm leap to a marketing strategy of varying colors. Probably the marketplace wasn't yet ready for it either. ::shrug::

Once Case realized in the early 1970s some people were collecting their products, they were the first to get the idea of marketing colors and other attributes to entice collectors to buy more knives. Even that took a few years. That was the point at which Case began the marketing strategy transition from selling tools to selling collectables. It seems their competition was too slow to change, and Case has survived when others didn't.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I've never been afraid of color either ! I have very few "traditional" colors, I am drawn to the unusually colored Case's ... my faves are a lime green 63090; a carribean blue Ratcliffe, a cotton candy Canoe, a green apple Saddlehorn, harvest orange 6107, magenta Copperhead, etc. Variety is the spice of life ... ::tu::
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

Lansky1 wrote:I've never been afraid of color either ! I have very few "traditional" colors, I am drawn to the unusually colored Case's ... my faves are a lime green 63090; a carribean blue Ratcliffe, a cotton candy Canoe, a green apple Saddlehorn, harvest orange 6107, magenta Copperhead, etc. Variety is the spice of life ... ::tu::

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”