What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Post by jerryd6818 »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks Calvin. Someone (could be me) needs to find these black jigged handles on a beater knife and then remove one side and saw through for a fresh surface and then examine with a loupe, and thus solve the mystery of 'Jigged Black'.
kj
What's the matter Roland? Did you lose your 45X microscope. Very easy to tell the difference with one of those.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Maybe the microscope works better than my eyes. I will examine them again and see if i can make out any 'little dots'. They are dyed black which covers over the black dots of bone if they are present.
Jerry do you have any of these jigged black handled, pre Delrin, Schrade-Walden knives ? If you do, what can you see using the 45x 'scope ?
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

kootenay joe wrote:Maybe the microscope works better than my eyes. I will examine them again and see if i can make out any 'little dots'. They are dyed black which covers over the black dots of bone if they are present.
Jerry do you have any of these jigged black handled, pre Delrin, Schrade-Walden knives ? If you do, what can you see using the 45x 'scope ?
kj
I'm not much of a Schrade guy so I don't have any Schrades that you're describing. That said, look along the edges of the handles. That's usually the most obvious place to tell, even on black handles.

So, I took a Camillus 67 with old black synthetic handles in good condition (not Delrin) and a '90s Camillus 72 with very good black bone handles and am putting them up for comparison.

The two knives;
Bone & Synthetic labeled.JPG

A naked eye comparison. Note the handles on the 67 with synthetic handles are solid black with no variations or lighter spots. Now look at the 72 with bone handles. See there are slight variations along the edge and the black is not as deep. Yeah, I know the pictures are not all that great but if you look closely without prejudice, you can see the difference. It's very easy to see the difference under 45X magnification. It's nigh on to impossible to get a solid black dye job on bone.
Bone & Synthetic Maried & Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jerry, thanks for your post & pictures. If i understand correctly you are saying bone does not take up dye well enough to be evenly & darkly stained along the edges. Is this mainly for black dye ? or any dye color ?
I have S-W with dark brown jigged bone handles with the edges equally dark as on jigged surface.
I will take 'edge' pictures when the light allows for good pictures.
even with the 45X lighted 'scope, i cannot convince myself of bone or synthetic.
Schrade-Walden in their early days made a number of patterns with these jigged black handles. Surely the long time Schrade collectors know if these are bone, synthetic, or both ?
I would like to know ea42's opinion, and orvet, as well as others. Let's figure this out now !
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Roland, I haven't seen every black bone handled knife in existence so I'm unable to tell you if what I posted is true for every piece of black bone that's out there. What I can say is, no matter what the color, I have yet to inspect a bone handle under 45X magnification that didn't show the dots of the haversian canals.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Not sure if these pics are helpful; taken in full sunlight.
Pics showing edges of all three S-W 810's, 2 S-W 863, one is bone and the other has the same jigged black handles as on the 810's.
kj
Attachments
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 010.jpg
Picture 011.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The black 863 has synthetic handles. Take a look with the 45X. Piece of cheese to tell.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Looking at the black handled 863 with the lighted 45X magnifier i see what look like little dots scattered every where, front & edges. Maybe i need to send it to you for examination ?
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

If you wish.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I did send these 2 Schrade Walden knives with jigged black handles to Jerry. He has just messaged me: "both are synthetic". So that is what they are.
Thanks for the consult Jerry.
kj
wlf

Post by wlf »

Here's another Roland,I've posted these in the farmers jack thread,but maybe some Schrade collectors haven't seen them. Sorry if I have posted these here before.

Black "stagged" 730,I called them black composition.
Attachments
Schrade NY USA Black comp.jpg
Schrade NY USA Black comp (2).jpg
Schrade NY USA Black comp (3).jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

And the S7309F fibestos handled ,wharncliff bladed , and bark loosening farmers jack. These handles didn't last long, any way you want to figure. I'm lucky to have one semi intact.
Attachments
Schrade Cut Co S7309F (1).jpg
Schrade Cut Co S7309F.jpg
Schrade Cut Co S7309F (2).jpg
Schrade Cut Co S7309F373.jpg
Schrade catalog E supp 1936 S 7309F.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

::tu:: I wonder what "Fibestos" was? I suspect that it did have asbestos in it.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Every one of those SCC Florist/Bud Grafting knives i have seen has shown deterioration of the "Fibestos" handles. It is not a stable substance
Cal, do you think all of the black peach seed jigged SCC & S-W handles are synthetic ? Or was jigged bone also dyed black ?
Superb Farmer's Jack you have ! Hardly ever see one unused.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote: Cal, do you think all of the black peach seed jigged SCC & S-W handles are synthetic ? Or was jigged bone also dyed black ?
kj
I don't think any of the black ones that I have seen were bone. I have seen more than one substance used for the black ones, however. Some are slick shiny hard glassy looking, and some duller material. I think it would be wonderful if some lab tech would tell us all about all these materials that they used before Delrin. CASE, Boker, Pal, LF&C all had proprietary black handles that were NOT celluloid, and some that were.
wlf

Post by wlf »

Lyle
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Fibestos was made of cellulose acetate, which was developed to be a non-flammable replacement for celluloid. It's basically in the same family, and although it isn't flammable the early products were not as stable as they are today and so degraded in much the same way as celluloid. Heat and moisture will over time break the acetate bonds, producing acetic acid (smells like vinegar) and degrading the entire handle. Fibestos was just a trade name used by Fiberoid. The product was also marketed by other firms, including Eastman Kodak for development of its safety film. I've got one of those farmers jacks as well, blades are minty but the handles are pretty much dissolved, with the pile side gone altogether. Might just rehandle this guy, maybe stag or traditional cocobolo.

Eric
Attachments
Schrade Cut Co Budder,Pruner 2.jpg
Schrade Cut Co Budder,Pruner 3.jpg
Schrade Cut Co Budder,Pruner.jpg
wlf

Post by wlf »

Great information Eric, I need to distance my knife a little further from the herd. I didn't realize the proximity of Fibestos to regular celluloid . I had thought it was just a very inferior form of plastic.

Ken Erickson used that budding blade as a model for the farmers jack he made me.

John Lloyd did too for the budding knives he gave me for Christmas.

Lyle
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Lyle, I don't think the out gassing of these handles is as corrosive as celluloid. I don't see any damage to the blades, liners, or pins on this knife. Celluloid would have at least turned the blades black and pitted at this point.

Those Erickson and Lloyd knives are absolute wonders!

Eric
truck

Post by truck »

I had a heart procedure in May and have been traveling steadily since returning to work. But travel means new pawn shops, and sometimes that means new knives. In this case, you'd be correct. First was a 100th anniversary 34OT, then a twofer: a 34GDOT and an 89OT from the same shop.
Attachments
IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Good catches, good fun and good knives! ::tu:: This post would fit slightly better in "my latest Schrade", but no matter, all good stuff. Thanks for posting!
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got a new old stock Imperial powder horn jigged bone Stockman! ::tu::

Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

12OT Old Timer ::tu:: Had to reprofile the blade!
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This thread is for "Old" Schrade which to me means Schrade-Walden and earlier, or from before 1972. The Schrade USA knives should be grouped and shown in "Your Latest Schrade". This division makes it a bit easier for someone searching for a specific knife.
Here is a 3 1/2" jigged bone Schrade-Walden 890 stockman. It has been used and professionally cleaned, lightly, not a 'deep buff' at least.
kj
Attachments
Picture 014.jpg
Picture 015.jpg
Picture 016.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I love those 890 stockmans. Thanks for showing that one. I have an 890 oddball, with a pen blade. And yes, I think this thread should stop short of 1973, but that is merely an opinion.
890 bone 3 pen001.jpg

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”