Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Baykeeper

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Baykeeper »

Tsar Bomba wrote: And speaking of "more", they sure do seem to cost it... :shock:
Ain't that the truth, prices are on the rise for sure, (have been for a while). I'm glad I started accumulating 300's when I did, the last few I've obtained have been at prices which were definitely hard to swallow compared to just a few years ago; though there are "deals" out there occasionally.
Nice #311 Slimline Trapper BTW: ::tu::
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

"This is one of the two models of the 300 Series introduced in '66, the other being the #303 Cadet, and both came with lined bolsters that one single year only"

Baykeeper, that's a nice 301, but you won't find a 303 from 1966 with grooved bolsters. The first 303, a Schrade contract knife didn't come out until 1968 and it had plain bolsters.

Bert
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote:"This is one of the two models of the 300 Series introduced in '66, the other being the #303 Cadet, and both came with lined bolsters that one single year only"

Baykeeper, that's a nice 301, but you won't find a 303 from 1966 with grooved bolsters. The first 303, a Schrade contract knife didn't come out until 1968 and it had plain bolsters.

Bert
Well, the devil is always in the details, and as usual I learn something from you Bert. Well then, I guess I don't need to waste time looking for a Schrade #303 because I already have one, (and as you stated it has smooth bolsters). I just thought both of those first-year models in 1966 had lined bolsters, now I know only the #301 came that way. You shoulda been a teacher Bert, you sure have educated me, (and I thank you for that).
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

Baywatcher, you can always look for both versions of the Schrade 303. One of them (1968-1971) only has the master blade stamped. The other (1968-1972) has "BUCK" stamped on both secondary blades.

Bert
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got a Tiny Buck 375. ::tu:: Going to try peanut and other small knifes like this one for the next two weeks. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a never used or carried Buck 307, 4 1/4".
Was this made by Camillus or Schrade ? and can you date it by the markings ? Only master is marked, front tang: Buck/Made in/U.S.A. and back tang: 307.
thanks, kj
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 002.jpg
bertl

Post by bertl »

Joe,

That tang stamp makes your knife the first version, 1971-1974. All 307s were made by Camillus.

Bert
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote:Joe,

That tang stamp makes your knife the first version, 1971-1974. All 307s were made by Camillus.

Bert
And I think it would be an earlier version due to the model number on the pile side, the one in my collection has the number with the tang stamp. If truly unused that is a very nice find, congratulations Joe.
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

And I think it would be an earlier version due to the model number on the pile side, the one in my collection has the number with the tang stamp.
Syd, 1974 was the year they started with the stamp on your knife.

Bert
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks ! By 'earlier version' do you mean towards the 1971 end of 71-74 date range ?
The reason i asked about Schrade is because i got this from an old fellow who is one of the most experienced of all Schrade collectors. He used to live in Ellenville and he & his wife were good friends with Albert & Mrs. Baer. Hence he was given some rather special knives from time to time from Albert.
I thought this might have been from Albert. Still could have been as Albert either owned or was buying Camillus about the same time.
Absolutely never used/carried or cleaned.
Just to be clear: this knife is the very first version of the Buck 307 ?
thank you. I find these little bits of information so enjoyable.
kj
bertl

Post by bertl »

Just to be clear: this knife is the very first version of the Buck 307 ?
Yes, and it was made by Camillus. Schrade never made a 307. That's a good find and the background adds interest.

Ber
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you bert and Baykeeper.
I used to have 2 of these but so far have not located it's twin.
kj
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

kootenay joe wrote: Just to be clear: this knife is the very first version of the Buck 307 ?
Yup, and as always Bert is right on the mark. As I remember it they stamped the model on the side with the tang stamp by early '72. As Bert already said the #307 was never made by Schrade, only by Camillus.
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

He used to live in Ellenville and he & his wife were good friends with Albert & Mrs. Baer. Hence he was given some rather special knives from time to time from Albert.
I thought this might have been from Albert. Still could have been as Albert either owned or was buying Camillus about the same time.
Here is information I just found about the Baer family and Camillus ownership. It's from Codger_64 on bladeforums. He is really knowledgeable about the history of Schrade and Camillus.

"First, the owners of Camillus were the daughters of Albert Baer, Betsy and Margery. Betsy Baer Kaufman (she was the Dean of Students at Queens College when she died of Cancer in Stamford Connecticut at age 54 in 1986. ..... She and her husband, John Kaufman (director of Camillus Cutlery upon his death in 1998), had a daughter, Gail Kaufman Furgal of Manhattan, and a son, J. Gilbert Kaufman of Manhattan. The second daughter was Margery Baer Irish of Stamford. Margery Baer Irish was an owner of the Camillus Cutlery Company, and has a daughter, Elizabeth Rucker. Eventual owners of Camillus stocks included the Baer grandchildren and their spouses. If I am in error in any of this, corrections are welcome"

Bert
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

These two. A 715 Ascend and a 364 Rival.
Attachments
Buck Ascend LT 715 BLSWM-B - Open Mark.JPG
Buck Rival I - 364BKSB-B.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Regarding my 307: "That's a good find and the background adds interest."
What would be average market value for a mint first year Buck 307 ? $60 ? or ??
I have a good idea of values for Schrade USA knives but not for Buck knives. I still have a few Buck folders and i'd like to have some idea of values.
thanks, kj
bertl

Post by bertl »

What would be average market value for a mint first year Buck 307 ? $60 ? or ??
I think $60 - $70 would be a pretty good average.

Bert
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank You B. I made a good guess. I appreciate your accurate info.
kj
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

kootenay joe wrote:Thank You B. I made a good guess. I appreciate your accurate info.
kj
That's pretty close for a pristine example, but they can be had for less if you're patient and lucky. One was listed on the bay recently with a $9.99 open bid didn't receive a single bid before the auction ended, yes it was used, sharpened and obviously worn, but it was basically complete, so condition is really the key to relative value on these.
BCCI Member #2863
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"condition is really the key to relative value on these"
Yes and true for all knives. I bought a great many knives before i fully understood the paramount importance of "condition".
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

These three landed in my mailbox a few weeks ago. All are 1986 or earlier production.
Attachments
IMG_3521.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

Railsplitter wrote:These three landed in my mailbox a few weeks ago. All are 1986 or earlier production.
Very nice
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I got this one at a flea market a while ago. I'm not usually interested in modern knives but I couldn't resist this one, and now that I have it I can't quit play... er inspecting it. One question though: the number on the sheath (276) doesn't match the number on the knife(279), Is that normal or do I need to look for another sheath? Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
IMG_5373.JPG
IMG_5373.JPG (25.74 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
IMG_5374.JPG
IMG_5374.JPG (25.75 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Berryb wrote:I got this one at a flea market a while ago. I'm not usually interested in modern knives but I couldn't resist this one, and now that I have it I can't quit play... er inspecting it. One question though: the number on the sheath (276) doesn't match the number on the knife(279), Is that normal or do I need to look for another sheath? Thanks
Bruce
The same knife only the 276 has a gut hook blade. So as to looking for another sheath, I guess that depends on how anal you are. (No offense intended)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Jerry; no offence taken. I think the question indicates that I am a bit anal anyway. The sheath I have fits like a glove so I won't get too excited about finding one with the right number. thanks
Bruce

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”