Cattle Knives, 45 pattern!

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cattle Knives, 45 pattern!

Post by stockman »

Jerry that knife is unreal, the best 45 i've seen.

Harold
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Jerry you have probably already looked this up but McCarroll Bros. Was a hardware concern in 1918 in Ottumwa. Great Knife! Keep them coming buddy.
I love this thread !
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I have a few 45's, can't compete with Jerry he is the best. Here is one. Hope I haven't posted it already. A so-so knife.
Top picture is a mistake, a different 45.
Harold
Attachments
Case Tested 45 #2.jpg
Case Tested 45 utility #1.jpg
Case Tested 45 utility.jpg
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Great examples guys. ::tu::

Jerry, you are lucky Roger "Peanut740" didn't fine that etched 45 1st. I can imagine trying to pry that one out of his hands.

Tom
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Many thanks for the gracious comments...

Greg, I've been watching for pictures of a 45 coming out of Ga.

Harold, your scout knife is very nice and I have seen you post some other beauties - especially this one: http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... le#p463061

Tom, If the knife would have had an etch with an Ohio location or if it would have been a Maher & Grosh, then I'm pretty sure ol' peanut740 would be in possession and it would probably take 2 trucks from Fort Knox to haul it away :)
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Greg, I've been watching for pictures of a 45 coming out of Ga

Jerry H. according to USPS it has arrived at my abode, unfortunately I have not. ::uc::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well I finally arrived and she was patiently waiting on me. Here she is.
Attachments
004.JPG
005.JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Greg beautiful knife! Looks to be in wonderful condition. Is it the original finish on the blades? Long pull on a spear blade is a nice combination. I like the thin profile of these 2 blade models combined with the sturdiness of a strong backspring.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

That 'un was worth the wait!
::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Jerry I was surprised at the slimness of the knife. What a wonderful carry knife that would make although I don't think this one will see any duty. It does appear to be the original finish as you can see a slight rub mark on the secondary blade. I am very Happy with this one.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

Finally I can join, my first cattle knife
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Zach, very nice example. ::tu:: It looks well cared for - I like those pointy blade tips!

Thanks to Harold stockman I have a new addition to my 45 collection. This is a Case Bradford 06245 with green Rogers bone. The pen blade is stamped with the 06245 pattern number which is common on Bradford era knives.
Attachments
Case Bradford 06245
Case Bradford 06245
Case Bradford 06245
Case Bradford 06245
Case Bradford 06245
Case Bradford 06245
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

That's a sweet knife!!
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Jerry, Happy that you purchased that 45 from me. I always liked it because it was survivor, never refinished like many
of the old Case knives. Lightly used oiled and cared for over many years.

Harold
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

6345 1/2 rough black
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Beautiful knives gentlemen, excuse the drool. ::tu::
steve99f
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Zach, the rough black Tested XX 45 1/2 is a very nice example! It looks very well cared for. ::tu:: ::tu::
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

RalphAlsip wrote:Zach, the rough black Tested XX 45 1/2 is a very nice example! It looks very well cared for. ::tu:: ::tu::

Thanks!

This will replaced the jigged spear LP 45 in my rough black collection.

Pics of that 45 are in this thread, if anyone have an equal conditioned rough black knife I'd be willing to deal.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

The 45 is such a classic knife ... whats not to like. Does anyone know the history of why it was discontinued and why they never seem to bring it back ? It kind of irks me ... arguably the most desirable Case pattern of all time has been all but forgotten (except by us in the know) ... thx.
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

This is a scarce one - first I have ever seen exactly like this.

Two things are unusual:

It is the "military" 45 pattern, but all of those that I have seen so far have a spear master. This one has a clip.

It has what I consider to be the third variation of older Case rough black. The first two are pictured in my book and can bee seen in this thread. The two most commonly seen variations are the "worm groove" style that appears to be a hard rubber material and the jigged type that appears to be an early (pre-Delrin) plastic.

This "third" variation has similar jigging to that of Case Tested era green bone, and it appears to be a hard rubber material. I have seen this material only on the 31 spear master two-blade military jack and the 45 military 3-blade cattle pattern.
Attachments
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1595.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

knifeaholic wrote:This is a scarce one - first I have ever seen exactly like this.

Two things are unusual:

It is the "military" 45 pattern, but all of those that I have seen so far have a spear master. This one has a clip.

It has what I consider to be the third variation of older Case rough black. The first two are pictured in my book and can bee seen in this thread. The two most commonly seen variations are the "worm groove" style that appears to be a hard rubber material and the jigged type that appears to be an early (pre-Delrin) plastic.

This "third" variation has similar jigging to that of Case Tested era green bone, and it appears to be a hard rubber material. I have seen this material only on the 31 spear master two-blade military jack and the 45 military 3-blade cattle pattern.
Nice find, I posted one a few pages back; had the long pull spear and a shield on the jigged black, I found that odd since that material was usually run on cheap knives.. Which didn't usually have LP or shield.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

knifeaholic wrote:This is a scarce one - first I have ever seen exactly like this.

Two things are unusual:

Hey Steve,

Interesting knife. Thanks for posting. I believe this is the 63045 Military 3 Blade Cattle pattern to which you are referring. Parkers Guide lists as Imitation Bone as I recall. Interesting handles not sure what the heck the material is. She is an old TESTED unused, tight and not cleaned or sharpened example though.

Thanks for posting that knife. Love seeing the old CASE knives never observed before.

Jerry
Attachments
CASE TESTED 63045_Imitation Jigged Bone_mark open.jpg
CASE TESTED 63045_Imitation Jigged Bone_stamp.jpg
CASE TESTED 63045_Imitation Jigged Bone.jpg
CASE TESTED 63045_Imitation Jigged Bone_2.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

zp4ja wrote:

Two things are unusual:

Hey Steve,

Interesting knife. Thanks for posting. I believe this is the 63045 Military 3 Blade Cattle pattern to which you are referring. Parkers Guide lists as Imitation Bone as I recall. Interesting handles not sure what the heck the material is. She is an old TESTED unused, tight and not cleaned or sharpened example though.

Thanks for posting that knife. Love seeing the old CASE knives never observed before.

Jerry
Similar one here, this material doesn't shrink like some of the similar stuff found on the 31 and scout patterns
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Yes the last two posted have what I call #2, the plastic-like material. My posted knife has a material that is still different from that.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well about half way through my lawn mowing endeavor The skies darkened and a deluge ensued. So I took that as a sign from the knife gods that I should go inside and take some pictures of my knives. :D Here are the 45's I've managed to accumulate so far.
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
005.JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”