Old Queen Cutlery Co. Knives

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
ratlesnake75

Re: Old Queen Cutlery Co. Knives

Post by ratlesnake75 »

That is AWESOME in COLOR,,,Thx
Do you think my knife had a "spear" or Clip master????
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Here is my latest Queen, no tang stamp and can't read the etching, so I'm guessing it is a 60's vintage large easy open melon tester, 5 1/4" closed with a 4 1/4" blade. Got it on ebay and since I didn't have one I bought it (good enough reason) Imitation winterbottom scales and worn down quite a lot but -----? Terry ::tu::
Attachments
DSC_0910.JPG
DSC_0911.JPG
DSC_0912.JPG
DSC_0913.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
bdev

Post by bdev »

ratlesnake75 wrote:That is AWESOME in COLOR,,,Thx
Do you think my knife had a "spear" or Clip master????
Kind Regards,
Mark
I believe it had a clip.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

I thought I would add some photos of the Queen City Cigar pattern. All of these knives are from the 1930s. Notice that two are handled in Schatt & Morgan bone which dates them from the early 1930s after Queen bought the Schatt plant including all inventory and parts. One photo shows a Queen City cigar moose and a Schatt & Morgan Gowanda cigar in ebony. I am sure that Queen City used the Schatt dies to make these wonderful old big knives.

David Clark
Attachments
Queen City Big Cigar.JPG
Schatt & Queen City Cigar.JPG
David Clark
bdev

Post by bdev »

nifbuf wrote:I thought I would add some photos of the Queen City Cigar pattern. All of these knives are from the 1930s. Notice that two are handled in Schatt & Morgan bone which dates them from the early 1930s after Queen bought the Schatt plant including all inventory and parts. One photo shows a Queen City cigar moose and a Schatt & Morgan Gowanda cigar in ebony. I am sure that Queen City used the Schatt dies to make these wonderful old big knives.

David Clark
Great knives David. Thanks for posting them. You just don't see older Queen equal end patterns that often.

PS....any thoughts on the Queen City Capital letter stamp vs. the script stamp? Were they used interchangeably or did one precede the other?
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

David, that is a beautiful and impressive collection of old Queens. Good show! ::tu::
Joe
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

David that is some group of knives.A++
Roger
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

Regarding the Queen City tang stamps, Fred Fisher of Ohio and Joe Dial of Alabama (both the real knowledgeable Queen collectors) and I discussed this at some length a few years back and based on a number of factors here is what we think is a good estimate: The earlier years at Queen City, 1922 – 1932 they did mostly contract work for jewelry firms in New York and New Jersey. Take a look at this article:
http://www.queencutlery.com/uploads/ESE ... ticle_.pdf
They did do some of their own Queen City knives but it appears that most was contract.
After they acquired the Schatt & Morgan plant and all equipment they closed the Spring St. cutlery and moved everything to the Schatt plant. You can tell this by studying the Queen City knives that were made from the left over Schatt material and dies and noticing that these were most always stamped with the “QUEEN CITY” block lettering. So we think that from about 1933 to the early 1940s that stamp was their primary tang stamp.
Starting in the early 1940s and up until the end of WWII they used the scrip style stamp. That was their stamping during the war on their military production with the only exception being the stamping on the machete. See this article for a little more on that: http://www.queencutlery.com/uploads/Que ... rticle.pdf
Hope this adds a little more information about the sometimes mysterious history of Queen City and Queen Cutlery.
David Clark
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Those are some awesome Queen knives David !
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey GUYS, What a beautiful Collection of Cigar knives David. Thank you for the clarification on dating also which I believe is Dead on the money. Though I didnt know that the Block letter tang stamps were used right after the purchase of Schatt,,,this is Great info for us Knife guys and We all thank you Sir for your info sharing.

I also give thanks to "Scoutknives" for allowing me to buy this Queen Cigar,,I Now LOVE IT MORE than I did because of its Roots to Schatt!!!
Kind Regards & Blessings to all,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
bdev

Post by bdev »

nifbuf wrote:Regarding the Queen City tang stamps, Fred Fisher of Ohio and Joe Dial of Alabama (both the real knowledgeable Queen collectors) and I discussed this at some length a few years back and based on a number of factors here is what we think is a good estimate: The earlier years at Queen City, 1922 – 1932 they did mostly contract work for jewelry firms in New York and New Jersey. Take a look at this article:
http://www.queencutlery.com/uploads/ESE ... ticle_.pdf
They did do some of their own Queen City knives but it appears that most was contract.
After they acquired the Schatt & Morgan plant and all equipment they closed the Spring St. cutlery and moved everything to the Schatt plant. You can tell this by studying the Queen City knives that were made from the left over Schatt material and dies and noticing that these were most always stamped with the “QUEEN CITY” block lettering. So we think that from about 1933 to the early 1940s that stamp was their primary tang stamp.
Starting in the early 1940s and up until the end of WWII they used the scrip style stamp. That was their stamping during the war on their military production with the only exception being the stamping on the machete. See this article for a little more on that: http://www.queencutlery.com/uploads/Que ... rticle.pdf
Hope this adds a little more information about the sometimes mysterious history of Queen City and Queen Cutlery.
Great information David. This really helps with dating some of my QC knives. Thanks very much and thanks for the info on my Queen #10 Ben Rocklin stamped knife.
Now the question is why the two sized script stamps? Large vs. small.
mountainad82

Post by mountainad82 »

Here is my latest find. Half congress, pocket worn Winterbottom bone handles, carbon steel blades, tang stamp indicates 1946-1948 production.
Attachments
IMG_5130.JPG
IMG_5131.JPG
IMG_5132.JPG
IMG_5133.JPG
IMG_5134.JPG
bdev

Post by bdev »

mountainad82 wrote:Here is my latest find. Half congress, pocket worn Winterbottom bone handles, carbon steel blades, tang stamp indicates 1946-1948 production.
Nice knife. I have the same knife and carry it daily. It's a #31 (it looks to be 4" in size).
mountainad82

Post by mountainad82 »

Picked up this advertising tang stamped Queen knife at a local flea market. Looks almost unused. Cash Hardware was established in 1929 and is still in business.
Attachments
IMG_5340.JPG
IMG_5341.JPG
IMG_5353.JPG
bdev

Post by bdev »

mountainad82 wrote:Picked up this advertising tang stamped Queen knife at a local flea market. Looks almost unused. Cash Hardware was established in 1929 and is still in business.
Wow. That knife is in great shape for its age. Must have been tucked in a drawer for years. Nice find.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

mountainad82 wrote:Here is my latest find. Half congress, pocket worn Winterbottom bone handles, carbon steel blades, tang stamp indicates 1946-1948 production.
....love the handles on that one!!..beautiful!!!!...... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..............
J1890

Post by J1890 »

bdev wrote:Here's a Queen 4" #31 Half Congress. Winterbottom bone that has aged nicely. This one was someone's EDC years ago as you can see from the blade wear. I carried it to work today and used it on occasion. I'm not a fan of the congress pattern for EDC but the half congress, with only two blades is so thin, that it worked for me. It's now a part of my rotation.

queen half congress (1).JPG
queen half congress (2).JPG
Sweet. That is a cleaner version of mine. Just got it today. Love how rusty it is. I'll be using this in the rotation. Now I need to find a full congress ::tu::
IMG_2535.JPG
IMG_2536.JPG
"As for me and my house, we serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

J1890,
That's the way to find one! Clean it up a bit, tune the edges and enjoy. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

I'm also not a congress fan, but that 'un pushes buttons . . .
::nod::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
bdev

Post by bdev »

Here's a Queen City equal end that I just picked up. 4 1/4" with Winterbottom Bone handles.
Single spring with a clip blade (long pull) and a pen.
It's still a nice tight knife with a great snap.
You'll notice that a small piece of the bone was chipped off many years ago. Near the bolster, upper left, pen blade side. It's now pocket worn from years of carry and is perfectly smooth.
A nice addition to my QC collection.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
PaFolders87

Post by PaFolders87 »

Great piece!!! A nice addition for any queen guy.
Ron

:roll:
PaFolders87

Post by PaFolders87 »

Navihawk wrote:great thead. How do the new Queens compare to the older ons as far as F/F?
Real recently queen has stepped up their game and I’ve been very happy with their F/F. There’s some bad stuff stuff floating around but it’s def on the up.
Ron

PaFolders87

Post by PaFolders87 »

2A860454-56B2-414F-A352-D5179343BDDA.jpeg
3D387B27-F410-416D-AD48-5F31167C2853.jpeg
Ron

bdev

Post by bdev »

Here's a QC #10 Heavy Jack with composite handles. Probably made pre-war because of the brass liners.
Sorry for the fingerprint on the pen blade. ::dang::
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
mountainad82

Post by mountainad82 »

Recently found this Queen congress with winterbottom scales circa 1958-60. A little bit of the blade etch is left.
Attachments
D470D358-8AE3-449E-879B-B7FA52824936.jpeg
20B48A04-3D43-44AB-9339-43CBDF8B800E.jpeg
B362CEB9-879E-4781-B25D-64440015C14C.jpeg
54717767-7DCB-425B-95CB-552540247693.jpeg

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”