SHOW US YOUR PETS!!!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
dcgm4

Re: SHOW US YOUR PETS!!!

Post by dcgm4 »

zp4ja wrote:Thanks Wayne and Dave! Great looking cocker Dave. Looks quite at home in that pic.

Nikki is acting now as if she did not have MAJOR surgery yesterday. Truly amazing. No pain meds just anti- inflammatory. Night and day in like 4 hours and it was not the knockout drugs as I paid for all the extra IVs, etc. She is probably relieved to get those damn things out of her. They impacted her mobility quite a bit recently.

Thanks much for the well wishes everyone. Yes Dave, hard to see your best friend laid out like that for sure. A lot to be said about the relationship of a man and his dog. No offense ladies. In my case, I am blessed with 2 dogs. I take care of them and they take care of me, all in our own way.

Jerry
Yeah, he's a couch potato. The only things that really interest him are food and going for walks or drives. :lol:

Really glad to hear Nikki is feeling better. :D

All purebreds have some kind of medical condition that's prevalent in their breed. For example, Great Danes are prone to hip dysplasia and Dalmatians are sometimes deaf. It's due to the fact purebreds were in-bred to get the desired traits of the breed. It's one reason I prefer to have mutts. Better genetic diversity, so less prone to serious or genetic health issues. The only purebred dog my family ever had is my sister's Chihuahua. That dog has several health issues: a bad liver, prone to gallstones, and repeated infections in her gum line. We had to remove most of her teeth to stop the infections.
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

"Your Brittanys are gorgeous. I may be a bit biased as I had a Brittany. Smartest dog I ever personally knew. Yours make a wonderful pair." Q S
"Very nice Brittanys Derek. Beautiful intelligent looking dogs. " MP

Thanks Quick Steel & Mumbleypeg .... They sure are smart dogs ... (Much smarter than me - but that ain't saying much :lol: )
These two know what I am up to well before I pick up the keys for the Truck or the Gun Safe...
As we (downunder) head into our winter this is a more common pose....
DSCN5888.JPG
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Great photos, great dogs. I envy you. :)
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Great looking dogs Derek!

I hear ya Dave. Pure breds are riddles with health issues.

I have a mutt that is the best guard and hunting dog. Only taught him basic commands. It is just in his blood.

Being a mutt, not one health issue but he is only about 6 years old. He sustains some damage quite often though in his guard duties which includes chasing off other dogs no matter how many at once or how big they are. As they say though when he is beat up after a fight, "you should see the other guy".

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Nice looking dogs, Derek. And that is a fine looking kangaroo as well. :lol:

Joshka (GSD) and Ahter (Kangal) are still growing. Joshka is about 110 lbs - he is not quite 1.5 yrs now - and Ahter is about 95 lbs at 11 months. Ahter was just spayed a couple of weeks ago, and got the "cone of shame" off her head on Monday, after wearing it for 10 days. She sure is happy to have that thing off her head.
Attachments
Joshka - 16 months old - April 2017b.jpg
Ahter - 11 months old - April 2017.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Unk: Beautiful coloration on both dogs. Can't imagine how you got a GSD with color matching the Kangal. As you well know, Kangals are a very powerful breed and highly interesting as they are not common. Do you have livestock that Ahter will be guarding?
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Hey thanks.

Joshka's mom and dad, as well as siblings were black and tan GSD. The mom had had a few sable and silver colored pups in previous litters, and so we put our name on the list in case she had another. She did, and that's how we wound up with Joshka.

As for Ahter, my wife and daughter somehow got interested in Kangals, and found a retired University of North Texas English professor who had also taught at a university in Turkey back in the 70s / 80s. They raise champion sheep and goats in north Texas (Patteran Dairy Goats in Era, TX), and brought back some pure bred Kangals from Turkey to protect them. We don't have any livestock - Ahter is a house dog. She is very affectionate and loving, and fairly laid-back.

Most of Tamara Taylor's Kangals go out west to ranchers to protect livestock from wolves and grizzly bears, and some have gone to Africa to protect the livestock from Cheetahs, a program that has had great success in saving the cheetahs from being killed by farmers.

This blog was written by Tamara, the lady from who we purchased Ahter:

http://kangaldogs.blogspot.com/
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Unk: Thanks for that blog, I read the entire article. A fascinating breed; I was familiar with their use in Africa to protect life stock thus also saving the cheetahs. I read that one of the owners feeds his Kangal once a day. My concern for that is the risk of stomach bloat. I do not know if Kangals are susceptible, but I know that GSDs and many other breeds can experience it. It is of course a life or death crisis requiring immediate surgical intervention. A vet told me the cause is unknown. My theory, which may be completely off base, is that after a heavy meal the dog may be playing or running around a bit with a largely undigested meal in his gut causing the stomach to twist. But until I am proven wrong I will always think it prudent not to let a dog be too active after a main meal. If you know differently, or someday you learn of an explanation, I'd appreciate you informing me via a PM.

But again, congratulations on two superb dogs.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Hi Quick,

My wife feeds our dogs twice a day, although the food sits out most of the day, so they can eat at their leisure. We haven't ever had any dogs that had stomach issues.

If you are on Facebook, look up "Patteran Dairy Goats". Interesting page. One of Tamara's dogs she sold to a rancher in Montana was killed by a grizzly last year.
Mike

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Beautiful dogs Unk!

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thanks Jerry :)
Mike

djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Brand new to our home today. Her name is Limerick but we probably will change it to something shorter. She has issues and has been adopted twice and returned twice so we have no illusions that our home will be peaceful for the next month or so. Molly, our three year old Sprinter/Blue healer likes her and they share one issue which is separation anxiety. Limerick is Shepherd and and unknown mix, knows several commands already and after 2 whole hours, I can't imagine why anyone would ever bring her back. We raised an Afghan hound (Tess) and had her 15 years and I'm pretty sure any dog would be a piece of cake after 15 years of Tess. We'll see what she can throw at us in the next few months but come hell or high water, this is now her home. ___Dave
Attachments
New buddies May 2017 002.JPG
New buddies May 2017 005.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

She sure has her eye on you, Dave. What were you doin' to get her to pose? Apparently Molly doesn't care. When our kids were showing cattle, there was always some one waving his hat so the critters would point their ears at the photographer. :)
I'm hoping she will be with you for many years to come.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tendots

Post by tendots »

Nice dog,looks to have quite a bit of Belgian shepherd blood(malinois),a breed apriciated for police work. ::tu:: Gus.
Tang stamps hide more than they reveal.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I don't know what she's mixed with. The Shepherd is obvious. She is thin for a Shepherd. She heard the camera turn on and posed. She is quick to obey most any command we've thrown at her including "Go lay down". She went into a wire kennel that Molly won't have a thing to do with, and just laid there until on her dog bed. We are having a hard time trying what she could have done to have been returned to the animal shelter twice in two months by two different families. Jane and I adopted two of our children, both girls, siblings 3 and 4 yrs. old about 30 years ago and that went amazingly well. They gave us some pretty normal grief when the hit the teen years, but it was really sweet until then, and we did survive and still all love each other.____Dave
tendots

Post by tendots »

Dave,the Malinois breed has a different conformation as to the German shepherd.Like comparing a Dobermann to a Rottweiler.People who train police dogs prefer Malinois over German shepherd cause they are more agile and have better hips.
Tang stamps hide more than they reveal.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Judging a dog's heritage by appearance can be surprisingly difficult. But I agree with tendots that she does look similar to a Belgian [Malinois], a very bright, energetic breed.

djk it might be worthwhile to get some feedback as to why the two returns. If possible. There of course so many possibilities: maybe she is a runner, taking off whenever she can; maybe she attempts to herd small children-part of her shepherd heritage; food aggression, and so forth.
But it may be that this high energy dog wasn't getting enough exercise. I hope you will keep us posted on developments.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

We pushed for as much information as we could and the Shelter was really good to work with. They told us she was very good with children and other pets and especially with small pets. She is very gentle and very good with food. I wish I could run with her and I might try her with a bicycle if she looks like she can handle it. I'm pretty sure she's a runner but we've suffered through that issue before with our Afghan Hound. She would cover 20 miles or so before we could get control of her. They said her most noticeable issue was separation anxiety which our other dog has. We just had them in an outside kennel and they seemed to relax with each other there.___Dave
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Interesting info Dave. I had to smile when you wrote you had an Afghan; then you certainly had the epitome of a runner. Beautiful,but one of the great runners. Having a partner, maybe the separation anxiety will diminish for both. We can hope.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Here are the dogs that live at our place. The one that looks like a pile of leaves is Miss Joy's dog, Flossie, 1/2 Chocolate Lab and 1/2 Red merle Australian Shepherd. They are recognized as a hybrid breed called Aussiedor or Sheprador. She is a 60 pound yard dog, most nights stays in an outside kennel and is loose all day. Joy lets her in when it's too hot or too cold :roll: or when the thunder rolls as it did yesterday afternoon, thus the picture of her on the futon in the office. She gets very nervous during a thunder storm. She is also a blood trailer, she makes quick work of finding a downed deer. She can't pass by a pond without taking a dip, summer or winter. She will also sits patiently by when someone is fishing, but look out when a fish is being landed, she thinks it's hers!
The other one is Felix, a Miniature Dachshund who actually belongs to our daughter but lives with us. That little joker isn't afraid of anything. He barks when he hears thunder and wants to go outside and find it. He attacks the vacuum, the washing machine, the lawnmower and even barks at the tractors. ::shrug:: Layin' there in my recliner he seems to be thinkin', "What do you mean, Your chair? " He is tough on the barn cats with the exception of one who will make him walk way around to avoid gettin' too close.
There is never a dull moment when you have a dog in the family!
Treefarmer
Attachments
It was thundering yesterday afternoon.
It was thundering yesterday afternoon.
"You want me to get up?"
"You want me to get up?"

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I suppose I have two dogs. Odin is my GSD I've had since he way a pup- about 3 years. He is my best friend. For the past several months I've had my sisters dog lucy, I think she is here for good at this point. She's a mix, looks to have a fair amount of lab. Maybe greyhound too, she's tall and lanky. She's a very sweet dog and quite the doofus. Her and odin are good buddies and regularly battle and chase eachother. It is fun to watch. Odin is the undisputed alpha.
image.jpeg

This photo particularly cracked me up :lol:
image.jpeg
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I picked up a training dummy to put it up, and stopped a minute to talk to my son when he started laughing. Here's what he was laughing about - they're all waiting patiently (sort of) for me to throw it! :lol:

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Good looking dogs and some funny pics Dave, Philip, Paul and Ken.

I am no one's master but they belong to me and I belong to them. Mans best friends is a huge understatement. My two lovable knuckleheads taking a quick break after roaming around the hot desert today.

Regards, Jerry
Attachments
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG
IMG_0315.JPG
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Everything about that picture is right even down too the Jeep ::tu:: Man I miss my Jeep, Lab and Springer ::teary_eyes::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Good looking dogs Jerry. Looks like they had a good day.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”