Information request on a specific knife please :)

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
bobbobZ28

Information request on a specific knife please :)

Post by bobbobZ28 »

Hi folks just posting to see if anyone could provide me with information on the knife my grandfather left me. It's very precious to me as it was something I grew up always watching him use every single day and I'm very proud to own it. I'm generally interested in things like when it was made? What what it was worth in its day and what it's value is today, and any other fun facts about the blade. It's a beautiful knife in my opinion and a heirloom I can't wait to pass through my family! Thanks for any info!
Attachments
IMG_1598.JPG
IMG_1599.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Information request on a specific knife please :)

Post by Quick Steel »

It's great you have your granddad's knife with all its associations and memories for you. Until someone more knowledgeable comes along, I can only tell you that your knife pattern is called a stockman. Can you get a closeup of what is stamped on the tang, that's near the bottom of the blade near the handle. Or, if you can at least tell us anything that is stamped on any of the blades. This will likely provide a good bit of information.

Also, I really like looks of the old bone handle scales. Good luck on your quest and may I suggest that you look around the AAPK forum and see if you might be attracted to this somewhat addictive hobby. We'd be glad to have you visit more than just once.
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Camillus #67 Premium Stock from the late 80's
Delrin handle
Blades: 2-5/8” Clip; 1-5/8” Spey; 1-3/4” Sheepsfoot
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

As Vit said, Camillus #67 Premium Stock. However, with the italic tang stamp more likely from the very late '70s into the early - mid '80s. They sold for somewhere between $15-$25 when new (1993 price list - $25.50). Value today in that condition is minimal except as a family heirloom. You're very lucky to have it.
Attachments
capture-20170510-063711.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Hi bobbob! Welcome to the forum!!

Lucky man!! The handles are man made material called Delrin, and very, very durable. Drop a little oil in the joint of each blade every so often.

Value is probably in th3 5 to 10 dollar range in current condition.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Welcome!

Those were great dnusing knives. The value of the memories it contains are far beyond monetary value. I'd give most every knife I own to have my grandfathers old worn knife. You're fortunate to have it.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

jerryd6818 wrote:However, with the italic tang stamp more likely from the very late '70s into the early - mid '80s.
Hi Jerry,
In the photo we see that the bolsters do not have grooves, and this variant appeared in the late 80's ::nod::
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Colonel26 wrote:Welcome!

Those were great dnusing knives. The value of the memories it contains are far beyond monetary value. I'd give most every knife I own to have my grandfathers old worn knife. You're fortunate to have it.
.........ain't that the truth, col.!!!!.......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Vit_213 wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:However, with the italic tang stamp more likely from the very late '70s into the early - mid '80s.
Hi Jerry,
In the photo we see that the bolsters do not have grooves, and this variant appeared in the late 80's ::nod::
Thanks Vit. I wasn't aware of that. That also helps with the general time frame for the use of the italicized tang stamp. Good to know.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bobbobZ28

Post by bobbobZ28 »

Thanks all for the responses! This knife means the world to me and I'm very appreciative of the information provided. I would watch my grandfather every day use this for something and I'd beg him to hold it and when grandma wasn't looking he'd let me :) It's bitter sweet finally having it cause I'd trade anything for another day. Thanks again folks!

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”