R4466 up for critique

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
schmoozer

R4466 up for critique

Post by schmoozer »

This was sold as a used commemorative. Old style stamps (1924-33), steel liners, old style blade stamp, discolored stag scales indicating long-term storage. Liners are knurled on the back, it even smells old. All thoughts appreciated.
IMG_2965.JPG
R4466 003.JPG
R4466 008.JPG
R4466 006.JPG
schmoozer

Re: R4466 up for critique

Post by schmoozer »

more pics
IMG_2968.JPG
041.JPG
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

better pic of the back.
029.JPG
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Hummm. That's interesting. That stag is definitely not new. I think there will be a large conversation about this one. I have an opinion. I'm interested to here others. Keith
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

I have handled a number of old Remington's and this one has me just a little confused. Everything I see about it says original, but the rarity of examples leaves me wondering. I have found no authenticated examples online. Seen some fakes and it is not similar. I only paid $40 for it, so the seller was not a scammer.
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

espn77 wrote:Hummm. That's interesting. That stag is definitely not new. I think there will be a large conversation about this one. I have an opinion. I'm interested to here others. Keith
Keith, do you have an example you could show?
I saw an old picture of the one used as a model for the commemoratives on another website.
I have not had any local collectors put their eyes on it yet for opinions.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Lol. No. I don't have one to show. This is my Holly Grail Knife.
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

To be honest, when I saw it online for sale I was sitting at the airport waiting for my wife to arrive. It had been posted only a few minutes, bad pic but the apparent age and the bullet had me trying to figure out how much trouble I would be in if I went to get it immediately. Arranged to meet the seller locally, with my wife, and went into high-stress mode waiting. Didn't realize the model until I got home and dug into my reference book.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Id say you did pretty good.
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

espn77 wrote:Id say you did pretty good.
::handshake::
I need to flip it but have no pricing basis.
Thinking of grouping it with the hone base. They need to go into a collection and not sit in a safe.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'm definitely interested in both. Keith
Remumc

Post by Remumc »

You stumbled into a real vintage bullet schmoozer. Those are nickel silver milled liners. Milled being the coin edge look on the back and also the inner edges of the liners. Nice old vintage stag and a good original etch. Just enough pocket wear to make it feel just right. You hit a home run buddy!!
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

Thanks for the backup. It was one of those too-good-to-be-true situations where you keep doubting yourself.
It will be heading out to a new home shortly ::ds:: ::ds::
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

original find pic.
IMG_2972.PNG
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

So, the issue of profit came up. I bought this knife from someone who wanted $40 for it. They did not say they had no clue and were looking for pricing comments. They were happy to get get $40.
The corollary is this:
A large printing mill had a press go down and trip off line. It was costing millions per day and they called in a retired employee to look it over. After 3 days the employee marked a piece with chalk and said replace this. They do and the system came back online. The retiree submitted an invoice for $50,000.00. The company was pissed and said " Justify your invoice". The employee did " $0.15 for chalk and $49,999.85 for knowing where to mark the X. The company happily paid.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Remumc wrote:You stumbled into a real vintage bullet schmoozer. Those are nickel silver milled liners. Milled being the coin edge look on the back and also the inner edges of the liners. Nice old vintage stag and a good original etch. Just enough pocket wear to make it feel just right. You hit a home run buddy!!

Agreed!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Jerry did a little editing on a couple pictures I sent him. Thought I'd put them up for later reference.
Attachments
Keith R4466 Front.jpg
Keith R4466 Back.jpg
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Beautiful rare knife Keith you should be very proud to own it .
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks scoutknives. I am very excited to have this one in my collection.
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

Keith,
I recently met a Winchester collector in NM that I may be paying a visit to in the near future. Will contact you for visiting if the timing works.

Brad
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Keith - congratulations on finding your Holy Grail through AAPK - enjoy the moment, it's a fantastic find!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”