Vintage Lever Ended knives & Pellet knives?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
bronze4u

Vintage Lever Ended knives & Pellet knives?

Post by bronze4u »

*UPDATE: The vercutler, 'flip lever' is here!!! With my own photos, one showing size comparison with my sterling Press Button Co. auto.

Hey, does anyone here happen to collect any of these types of knives?

I really have three to four different types here. I call them 'Lever' knives, or the other types 'Pellet' knives - as they have little pellets that set atop each blade to aid in opening.. Here are the few I have collected.

1. The sterling silver Vercutler, 'flip' ended (as you can flip this types blades opened) Many 'new style' tactical style knives are using this very old invention today. Sterling Vercutler, 'Garden of Eden' knife, dated 1892 with Adam and snake is in the mail on it's way. The photos are from the seller on that one.

2. The Masonic 'lever ended' is super old dated 1914, Muller & Schmidt. Tangs stamped with their unique 'spiraling arrows'.

3. The 18 CT Gold 'pellet' knife was purchased from the U.K. it's stamped: 'Pellett Patent' & 'Made in Sheffield'.

4. Last is a one blade knife- super small 'bail opening' Sheffield made, no clue as to year made. I bought it from the U.K.,smallest I have seen yet.

Please post yours, or share any information you might know on these types of knives.

Kirk
adam.jpg
lever ended 2.jpg
gold pellet.jpg
gold pellet 2.jpg
bail 2.jpg
LEVER 22C.jpg
Attachments
lever ended.jpg
Lever 22A.jpg
LEVER 22B.jpg
If you’re gonna be dumb... You better be tough!
montemojo

Re: Vintage Lever Ended knives & Pellet knives?

Post by montemojo »

Kirk, I have never seen any like those. Very interesting, the one in the first pick would be my favorite. I will have to keep my eye out for those. They all look to be very old and I like old knives. Thanks for posting

Monte
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

montemojo wrote:Kirk, I have never seen any like those. Very interesting, the one in the first pick would be my favorite. I will have to keep my eye out for those. They all look to be very old and I like old knives. Thanks for posting

Monte
Yes they are very old indeed. I can't wait to see that first one in person.. it's in the mail in route to me.

Thanks Monte!

Kirk
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

Very nice !
Patent studs on blades 3-22-1892_20170208_0001 1000x500 (1).jpg
c1892 patented by Walter William Pellett
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

#2 Masonic, is actually the KNIGHT'S TEMPLER. The highest level of the YORK RIGHT. All are very nice.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Those are just as cool as all get out. Thanks for sharing them with us.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

They are exceptionally cool. 8)
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

These are great Kirk! I really like the bail-opening example. I just searched eBay's vintage knife category for "pellet" and found zero listings. I'm with Monte, I need to start keeping a lookout for these.

Dennis
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

I just noticed from supratentorial's posting that the proper name for the ones with "ears" on the blades should probably be "Pellett knife" (not "pellet"), as that was the inventor's name.

Kirk do you have any more of these you can show us? Have you found any websites or other resources for these?

Dennis
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Very impressive group of knives!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

There is a photo of a Pellett quill knife in this old AAPK posting:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21968&p=355436&hil ... tt#p355436

Dennis
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

supratentorial wrote:Very nice !

Thanks! I have seen this one online as well.. Very cool though!

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

mrwatch wrote:#2 Masonic, is actually the KNIGHT'S TEMPLER. The highest level of the YORK RIGHT. All are very nice.
This is awesome news! Thanks! Very cool...

Cheers,

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

Colonel26 wrote:Those are just as cool as all get out. Thanks for sharing them with us.
For sure, right?! Thanks Colonel26....

Kind regards,

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

tjmurphy wrote:They are exceptionally cool. 8)
Thanks man! ::tu::

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

deo-pa wrote:These are great Kirk! I really like the bail-opening example. I just searched eBay's vintage knife category for "pellet" and found zero listings. I'm with Monte, I need to start keeping a lookout for these.

Dennis
Yea, they are very hard to locate...

Cheers,

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

deo-pa wrote:I just noticed from supratentorial's posting that the proper name for the ones with "ears" on the blades should probably be "Pellett knife" (not "pellet"), as that was the inventor's name.

Kirk do you have any more of these you can show us? Have you found any websites or other resources for these?

Dennis
Actually I knew this, I was just writing way fast.. I have it stamped on the tang right here in my face.. Lol

I am afraid, this is it so far.. ::pray:: ::tu::

Thanks man!

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

btrwtr wrote:Very impressive group of knives!

Thanks! ::tu::

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

deo-pa wrote:There is a photo of a Pellett quill knife in this old AAPK posting:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21968&p=355436&hil ... tt#p355436

Dennis
That Victorian quill is super cool! ::tu::

Thanks!

Kirk 8)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Very interesting (and old)group of knives! A couple are new to me(the levers).I have some slightly different variations on the easy open pattern.
First is a knife made by the Automatic Knife Co. of Middletown CT.It has tabs on either end that when depressed release the spring loaded blade open to an angle of about 30 degrees.The blade can then be opened manually the rest of the way.
Next is a knife by Schmactenberg Brothers(Clim-ax)whereby the blade is opened(again to about 30 degrees)by means of a spring and by sliding the side mounted button up or down.
Third is a small multiblade marked "A*1 Tyler & Son Celebrated Cutlery" that has small tabs affixed to the spines of the blades with a small nail mark to assist opening.These were popular to allow sunken joints to be employed on knives.
Next is a group shot of knives by various makers utilizing a protruding end that when pulled will allow the blade to slide open.Some have the slide button within the handle.
Last is a group of slide blade knives that operate by depressing a button on the side and pushing or pulling to open and close the blade.Some of these can be set at various opening lengths.
Attachments
AutomaticKnifeCo.JPG
SchmactenbergBrothersClimaxEasyOpenKnife1.jpg
A(star)1Tyler&Co.CelebratedCutlery1 001.jpg
A(star)1Tyler&Co.CelebratedCutlery1 002.jpg
MechanicalKnife 001.jpg
Sliders 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

bronze4u wrote:

Kirk
Google has some nice resources. Here's the link to the Pellett patent on Google books. https://books.google.com/books?id=0dJOA ... &q&f=false

And there are a lot of neat patents for opening mechanisms on Google patents. Here are a couple that are related. There were also spring assisted knives 100 years before the "modern" knives sold today.
US533219-page-001.jpg
US616689-page-001.jpg
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

knife7knut wrote:Very interesting (and old)group of knives! A couple are new to me(the levers).I have some slightly different variations on the easy open pattern.
First is a knife made by the Automatic Knife Co. of Middletown CT.It has tabs on either end that when depressed release the spring loaded blade open to an angle of about 30 degrees.The blade can then be opened manually the rest of the way.
Next is a knife by Schmactenberg Brothers(Clim-ax)whereby the blade is opened(again to about 30 degrees)by means of a spring and by sliding the side mounted button up or down.
Third is a small multiblade marked "A*1 Tyler & Son Celebrated Cutlery" that has small tabs affixed to the spines of the blades with a small nail mark to assist opening.These were popular to allow sunken joints to be employed on knives.
Next is a group shot of knives by various makers utilizing a protruding end that when pulled will allow the blade to slide open.Some have the slide button within the handle.
Last is a group of slide blade knives that operate by depressing a button on the side and pushing or pulling to open and close the blade.Some of these can be set at various opening lengths.
Nice! Here's a link to some info on the Wilzin automatic knife by Automatic Knife Co: https://books.google.com/books?id=lKM-A ... &q&f=false
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

supratentorial wrote:
bronze4u wrote:

Kirk
Google has some nice resources. Here's the link to the Pellett patent on Google books. https://books.google.com/books?id=0dJOA ... &q&f=false

And there are a lot of neat patents for opening mechanisms on Google patents. Here are a couple that are related. There were also spring assisted knives 100 years before the "modern" knives sold today.

US533219-page-001.jpgUS616689-page-001.jpg
Thanks a lot.. so I have done many Google searches before and I think I have seen most all of what I see here. At any rate, thanks so much!

Cheers

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

knife7knut wrote:Very interesting (and old)group of knives! A couple are new to me(the levers).I have some slightly different variations on the easy open pattern.
All very nice knives! Are these allyours? I have a pretty good collection of the Gits Nife, Dodson 'Artisan' slide knives myself. The others are really nice!
Thanks for showing these!

Cheers,

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

supratentorial wrote:
Nice! Here's a link to some info on the Wilzin automatic knife by Automatic Knife Co: https://books.google.com/books?id=lKM-A ... &q&f=false
The first two have me drooling over here! Super cool ones.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”