Mercy!!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
FRJ

Mercy!!

Post by FRJ »

Mercy! .. Mercy!

Do you have Mercy?

Show it here!
Attachments
DSCN6022.JPG
DSCN6028.JPG
DSCN6047.JPG
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mercy!!

Post by Mumbleypeg »

::hmm::

Must be King Kong's Toenail! :mrgreen:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:::hmm::

Must be King Kong's Toenail! :mrgreen:
Yeah, you might want to give it back to him before he gets fussy Joe. Don't worry, I'll deliver it for you :o
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That looks to be a #46 "Whaler", 4 3/8" closed. Correcto ?
It is a very handsome knife, a bit like a Sumo wrestler in a tuxedo.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here's my 46 from 2011. If these were dogs we might get some fine offspring.
kj
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks for your comments,guys.
Good looking 46 kj.

I don't usually buy newer knives, but this big thing got my attention. And it's Northfieldish. ::super_happy::
Attachments
DSCN6033.JPG
Joe
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I feel fortunate to have this big Whaler knife. To a knife lover it is an impressive example for our admiration.
I say "fortunate" because i doubt these very big knives will have another run. There is a lot of steel and big handle slabs are needed so my bet is there is less profit in these. The few i have seen get sold keep going higher in price.
I don't want to sell my ivory Whaler but it is one of my very few knives that might be worth more than what i paid.
kj
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

I have a couple Whalers. Big ole knives. I also have this Bob Cargill Cripple Creek that is from 1980/81. Lots of similarities to the GEC Whaler. Maybe just a little bigger.
Attachments
20161220_213024.jpg
2013-07-10_21-14-45_656.jpg
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Kootenay Joe I sent you an e-mail.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have replied to all emails received but i don't know if one was from you. If you have not had a reply, i did not receive your email.
kj
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

bkazz5, That Bob Cargill knife is quite the piece of hardware.
Very Impressive.
Joe
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Is there a specific reason or purpose as to why this pattern is so wide?
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Paul, my guess is the extra width facilitates chomping through rope and ..... Sale$?
Joe
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rope on sailing vessels can be 2" or more in diameter. The deep blade helps keep the spine exposed for hitting with the baton. Plus the blade is rather stout to keep it from deflecting off course; i.e. won't flex.
kj
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Great looking knives everyone, I dont think no one cares to baton any of these. I know I wouldn't

Monte
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Those are beautiful knives. I really like the Whaler body shape - reminds me of a whale. And those super wide blades just appeal to something in me. Great photos, fellows!

Regarding the need for the broad blade for cutting large diameter line, I am not so sure. I recall from my USN days that when a large diameter line is under strain a Buck 110 would slice it faster than cutting a tomato. I guess if the line were laying on deck then it would be a harder to cut and a wide blade with a baton would work well.
Mel
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I believe this pattern goes back to the days of sailing vessels which having sails had lots of rope of varying diameters. Plus rope to tie cargo down, fasten on life boats, tie up to dock, etc. I bet a lot more rope on ships then than now. I think the very deep blade was for cutting through all diameters of rope, usually with a baton & 2 guys, one holds knife firmly, other guy wields baton.
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Just my 2 cents - I can not disagree that those big old" toenails" may have been used for rope but my understanding was that they were used more often by lumberjacks - even there I am sure heavy rope was used and cut with these but rope knives used by sailors as you all probably know had a different style blade with a squared or flat tip so that the sails were not cut when ropes attached to sails needed to be cut.....
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

These are great knives guys, when they were first introduced they sat on dealers shelves for awhile, now they go for big money. I sure hope GEC does another run.

I lucked into 2 of the Lumberjack's at last years Rendezvous, made from left over parts, only difference from the Whaler is the blade is on the small end, these monsters just bring a big grin to my face every time I handle them.

Kj, I pretty much heard the same story about using them to baton thru thick rope but on oil rigs and logging.
Attachments
IMG_5760.jpg
IMG_5763.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

These things dwarf a large sunfish. I knew the Whaler was big but now I'm seriously intrigued... ::facepalm::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

For what it is worth - In addition to what I noted above about lumberjacks (or logging as noted by others) which was told to me by a few well versed knife collectors who I respect and trust - I read the following in Levine's book and obviously based on Levine's research - these knives influenced by scandinavian knives were also often used by framer carpenters and those hanging trolley/telegraph lines in the mid to later 19th century... my take and as an aside: knives though "defined " as a style or pattern used for "whatever" and often termed as such by a maker were tools for the jobs in which they would perform well... while we often discuss and second guess what they are called or used for as a tool, I think most of us (and me included) forget knives were tools - I don't think cutlers/jobbers of the old days would have ever thought some day there would be folks interested in collecting these knives or "tools" and trying to determine terminology etc... and based on that knives were used for anything that made it the best tool available for the job... as many of you know any job you are doing is much easier when you have the right tools to do the job... often I think we overthink knives BUT indeed that is part of the fun ::nod:: :D

Post by kootenay joe »

Different patterns of folding knives emerged over about 100-150 yr time span. The patterns developed in an effort to make a tool most suitable for a certain task or line of work; i.e. there is reason for every aspect of the design in every pattern.
Once a person owned a knife he could use it for whatever he wanted, but that does not negate the fact that it has an intended use.
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

KJ (Roland) - I think we are saying the same thing and your reply was more to the point ::tu:: - my note regarding maker names and tools above was probably abit too wordy ::handshake:: ...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..wow!!!....way bigger than my old Camillus!!.... :shock: ...........
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

LB, i did mis-understand your post. Thanks for clearing it up.
kj

Return to “General Knife Discussion”