Identify Western Cutlery Company Knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
J529A

Identify Western Cutlery Company Knife

Post by J529A »

I have a small 2 blade pocket knife only 2 1/2 inches long closed. The tang on both the large and small blade is stamped as Western Cutlery Company. Apparently, Western Cutlery Company became Western Knife Company. Also at one point some of their knives were stamped Western States and Western Boulder Colorado. I'm trying to find out a date of manufacture and opinions as to the quality of these knives. I have very little information and any information would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
2017-04-19 16.24.05.jpg
2017-04-19 16.16.03.jpg
2017-04-19 16.17.22.jpg
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Identify Western Cutlery Company Knife

Post by terryl308 »

According to Harvey Platts book, Western States Cutlery & Co started in 1913, in 1956 changed name to Western Cutlery Co., 1957 moved to new building in boulder Industrial Park, I assume that is when they changed to the Boulder, Colo stamp ( not real sure about that though.) 1977 they moved to Longmont, co. it's a little It's a little confusing, the book also shows the western boulder, colo with a pat. no. 1931-1950 and the Western boulder,colo stamp from 1928-1931 and 1950-1961 and just Western U,S.A. from 1961 to present. Bottom line is it's a little hard to date old westerns by stamp alone. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

In my never to be humble opinion, Western States (1911-1951) = Excellent Quality. Western Boulder (1951-1978) = Good+ Quality.
Western USA (1978-1984) = Some good, some not as good.
Dates per Goins.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The original poster's knife was made in Germany by a company called Western Cutlery. As far as I know they had no affiliation with Western Cutlery in Colorado whatsoever. The knife in question likely dates from the 1920's or 30's when German cutlery manufacturers used many USA sounding stamps to try and get business here.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Ditto.
Roger
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

knife7knut wrote:The original poster's knife was made in Germany by a company called Western Cutlery. As far as I know they had no affiliation with Western Cutlery in Colorado whatsoever. The knife in question likely dates from the 1920's or 30's when German cutlery manufacturers used many USA sounding stamps to try and get business here.
Good job, Ray! I am as embarrassed as a schoolgirl who accidentally passed gas in history class.
I didn't even look at the exploded view to verify the origin of the knife. Good lesson there.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
J529A

Post by J529A »

Once again the information is always helpful! So this is a German knife and has nothing to do with the company in Boulder Colorado. Does anyone know about he quality of the German version? It appears to be a good little knife but it is very small. The scales appear to be mother of pearl and the blades have decent snap and no wobble. The blades do have wear but I had no idea it dated to the 1920s-1930s.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Paladin wrote:
knife7knut wrote:The original poster's knife was made in Germany by a company called Western Cutlery. As far as I know they had no affiliation with Western Cutlery in Colorado whatsoever. The knife in question likely dates from the 1920's or 30's when German cutlery manufacturers used many USA sounding stamps to try and get business here.
Good job, Ray! I am as embarrassed as a schoolgirl who accidentally passed gas in history class.
I didn't even look at the exploded view to verify the origin of the knife. Good lesson there.

Ray
oops, I too jumped the gun and didn't enlarge the photo to see "Germany" stamped on the tang. ::dang:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

J529A wrote:Once again the information is always helpful! So this is a German knife and has nothing to do with the company in Boulder Colorado. Does anyone know about he quality of the German version? It appears to be a good little knife but it is very small. The scales appear to be mother of pearl and the blades have decent snap and no wobble. The blades do have wear but I had no idea it dated to the 1920s-1930s.
A good number of the German made knives of that era were of decent quality and this one appears to be as well.The cracking of the pearl handles is common as the pearl is pretty fragile and doesn't lend itself well to being dropped of mishandled.The most common problems I have found with them(as well as others of the period)are broken blades due to improper heat treating or abuse and wear on the back of the tangs causing the blades to stand proud due to hardness incompatibility between the tang and back spring.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
J529A

Post by J529A »

Thanks to everyone for the great information! It is always and education to come to this forum.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”