Schrade, NY 880 Kon-Kav Question

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Mustanger

Schrade, NY 880 Kon-Kav Question

Post by Mustanger »

I am wondering what the deal is with my new 880 having two center spacers. One in the center, where it's supposed to be, and one stacked with the pile side liner. I'm guessing that it's to provide more room for the blades??
This thing is a beast.
Fat and heavy.
Like Hoss Cartwright.
Maybe it was his knife. :)
Attachments
880 Schrade, Ny (5) .JPG
880 Schrade, Ny (3)  - Copy.JPG
880 Schrade, Ny (6).JPG
880 Schrade, Ny (7).JPG
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Schrade, NY 880 Kon-Kav Question

Post by royal0014 »

Yes, the purpose of the extra liner is to provide space for the blades to close
without rubbing, and possibly with less 'krink' in the blades.....
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Thank you for the reply. I like the way these older knives were built. No adjustment necessary after purchase. No filing on blade stops to set the blades in the handle or filing on the springs to get the blades to open fully. The thick blades on this one tuck nicely into the handle with a low profile and the top of the sheep's foot setting flush with the top of the main blade. But it is chunkier and heavier than my other 4" Texas Stockman knives, for sure!
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Really nice example ::tu::
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

That's a great looking 880 you got there. IMO nothing beats the look of a full sabre blade. You certainly have a good eye for knives. ::tu::
Sure wish they had done that with the slenderinos
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Thanks guys. I need to improve my photography to show off those blades and stuff better. Can't see the nice long swedge on that clip blade and the nice finish on it. This knife was spotless when I got it. I just cleaned off a little tarnish. Can't believe nobody else bid on it. ::ds::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Congratulations. That's a fine, fine, clean knife you snagged. A Kon-Kav 863 was my grail knife for quite some time. That 880 is a real beauty.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

jerryd6818 wrote: A Kon-Kav 863 was my grail knife for quite some time. That 880 is a real beauty.
Ooh, yes! All of the Kon-Kav 863 knives I've seen are bone handled. Do you know if they made them with delrin too? Or bonite? The older Schrade Walden and Ulster 863s with delrin handles were sabre ground on the mark side only. Don't think I've seen a true Kon-Kav with delrin.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Sorry, I can't answer your question. I have the 863 Kon-Kav only because it's a Camillus 72 clone. I know little to less than nothing about Schrades.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Ah yes, the 72 is a beautiful knife. A more elegant looking main blade. Thanks for your comments.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The OP 880 KonKav knife is quite rare with that tang-stamp. I toyed with the idea of buying that one but am watching my bank account a little more closely lately. :( Almost all of these 880s are Schrade Walden, in other words a slightly earlier iteration and tang-stamp to match. Good show! ::tu::
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Thanks, toungueriver. Yes, I only recently was made aware of that fact from a posting by Adam who just bought one of these. He determined that the Schrade, Ny. 880 ran from 1973 to 1975. A nice little factoid that makes me feel better about my only 880 not being a Schrade Walden. :mrgreen:
Buying this knife was a spur of the moment thing since I was really after another knife from that seller. I thought the 880 would go hi but I watched it just in case. My budget dictated that I only get one or the other. I'm glad it worked out the way it did.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”