Nice high price Whaler

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Rusty1

Nice high price Whaler

Post by Rusty1 »

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Nice high price Whaler

Post by edge213 »

To pricey for me .
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Man, those things are selling for more than some old Cases! ::woot::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

$1000 for a recently made production knife. GEC certainly has the attention and interest of the 'knife crowd' and for good reason, they make GREAT folding knives. However i don't see this degree of interest lasting 'forever'. As such i think the very high prices that some GEC's are getting is temporary and will come down to closer to original price.
I have the same GEC Whaler but in ivory. I wonder if anyone would pay $1000 for it ?
kj
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

kootenay joe wrote:$1000 for a recently made production knife. GEC certainly has the attention and interest of the 'knife crowd' and for good reason, they make GREAT folding knives. However i don't see this degree of interest lasting 'forever'. As such i think the very high prices that some GEC's are getting is temporary and will come down to closer to original price.
I have the same GEC Whaler but in ivory. I wonder if anyone would pay $1000 for it ?
kj

depends who the seller is, if I sold a same knife id get half, sellers like 54rodgers, silverladdie, sportscolb and a few others have some loyal customers it seems, heck even ol tommy G can out sell me. fake or real LOL! ::facepalm::
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

54rodgers once bought a knife off a man and sold it back to him for 2x the purchase price in the same dealing.

lol, Just kidding. BUT seriously.. for as well as his auctions do he could probably buy knives on ebay at market value and still flip them for a living.

I'm not knocking these guys, wish I could sell everything as if it was gold, that would be nice.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

XxTtxX, one would think that the knife itself largely determines the price but you are saying that it's the seller that has the biggest effect on price. I have observed the same thing: some sellers regularly get high prices whereas others always seem to sell very low despite a good searchable listing title.
I don't sell on ebay myself, only sell here in AAPK and i am a terrible at getting a top price. Maybe salesmen are born rather than develop ?
kj
Gunstock Jack

Post by Gunstock Jack »

I'ved noticed a bunch of GEC patterns suddenly getting very high prices. The 81's are an example as they are in the $300-400 range recently. ::uc::

Just shows ta go ya.... ::hmm::
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

GEC Mania has dominated the Traditionals forum on BF for the last 5 years. It fosters more interest & competition and is why most new releases get snapped up in minutes and why such high prices occur on secondary market.
Nothing lasts forever especially fads. GEC are great knives, the best traditional style folders made in our lifetime, but will the now inflated prices hold ? Will the so special GEC you just scored for $500, sell only at $100 in 5 years time ?
Gunstock Barry, you have a lot of knife experience, what do you think about this ?
kj
Gunstock Jack

Post by Gunstock Jack »

I wish I knew kj! ::shrug::
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

The GEC 98 Camp Knife in antique bone and the Northwoods single blade jack knives are other examples (in addition to the 81 Abilene stockman) where the prices are significantly higher than the original MSRP. I also saw a Canal Street Cannitler sell for approximately $380 recently. So I think knife prices in general are rising (for now lol).

My opinion is that as long as GEC and Northwoods continue to limit the supply on desirable patterns, values will hold. I have seen more 81 Abilene stockman knives hit the market in the past few weeks than I did in all of 2016. It makes me wonder if a new release of 81's is on the way from the factory and sellers are timing the market. The jigged stag 81 that sold recently on eBay for approximately $430 was very nice. I used to buy new GEC and Northwoods to be carry knives. I still follow that practice with Micarta knives, but not so much with bone / stag examples.

I agree knife values are cyclical in nature - I have no idea where we are in the cycle (rising, peaked, declining) :)
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Gunstock Jack wrote:I wish I knew kj! ::shrug::
Doesn't seem like rolling the dice on GEC is a losing proposition very often, does it?
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I have looked at a few youtube videos about traditional pocket knives and the comments from younger knifers are they are tiring of tactical knives. They are more and more looking for traditionals, albeit new traditionals. It seems they haven't discovered the old time manufactures yet. This new trend may be bringing prices up.
I'm the first to admit I'm pretty much out of the loop so this may not be news to anybody. ::facepalm::
Joe
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

A GEC #46 Whaler just sold on ebay for $697. There is now a softening of prices for GEC knives on the secondary market but the Toenail pattern so far is still in demand with prices as high as a custom knife from Ken Erickson or Jerry Halfrich, both of whom are highly accomplished.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-EASTERN- ... true&rt=nc
kj
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Two recent ebay auctions show strong demand for GEC 'Toenail' pattern knives.
#45 Lumberjack in Primitive bone sold for $510
# 46 Whaler, single blade with jigged bone sold for $580
I think many of us get used to seeing high prices for GEC & Northwoods knives and we loose perspective on how expensive they really are.
For example i am looking at a new Excaliber crossbow with a scope, string cocker & 4 carbon arrows and price is less than a GEC toenail pattern knife.
Excaliber is considered by many to make the best crossbow available so this is not an economy brand.
For me this comparison shows how very high prices are for many of the GEC knives. There is so much more to the crossbow & scope than to a pocket knife.
One AAPK dealer had 4 GEC toenail pattern with ivory handles which he sold for $1500 each, to the same individual. I cannot these as ever going any higher and likely when sold will fetch far less.
What do you think about these very high GEC prices ?
kj
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Joe - you make a good point with the comparison between the bow and the knife. A brand new Ruger .357 revolver can be had for about $500. The knife may be prettier than the revolver, but as with the crossbow, there is a lot more involved in making the revolver. It is not about need, because not too many folks actually need a Toenail knife or a revolver or a crossbow. I guess the want factor is a lot higher with the knife!
Mel
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:Two recent ebay auctions show strong demand for GEC 'Toenail' pattern knives.
#45 Lumberjack in Primitive bone sold for $510
# 46 Whaler, single blade with jigged bone sold for $580
What do you think about these very high GEC prices ?
:shock: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

Edit: You know what? If it starts bringing down Barlow prices again then I'M ALL FOR IT! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

::rotflol::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
SteelyDan

Post by SteelyDan »

I am sitting on 4 rare G.E.C's. I won't exactly be giving them away. How is this site for selling knives? I am brand new here. ::super_happy::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There is a forum called "Knives For Sale or Trade".
Start a thread and post in focus pics of your knives along with prices and an email address so that potential buyers can reach you.
Anyone searching "GEC Knife For Sale" will pull up a link to your AAPK listing. The For Sale forum gets buyers from everywhere, not limited to AAPK members.
What patterns have you got to sell ?
kj
SteelyDan

Post by SteelyDan »

kootenay joe wrote:There is a forum called "Knives For Sale or Trade".
Start a thread and post in focus pics of your knives along with prices and an email address so that potential buyers can reach you.
Anyone searching "GEC Knife For Sale" will pull up a link to your AAPK listing. The For Sale forum gets buyers from everywhere, not limited to AAPK members.
What patterns have you got to sell ?
kj
Hiya Joe, I have a few beauty's that I just found too nice to use or carry. I have two #79 Workhorses, One is a Tidioute numbered from a run of 25 in smooth ivory bone, one is a Un-X-ld in African Blackwood. I have a Tidioute #36 Sunfish EZ open style in Ebony (numbered from a run of 25), and a #54 Big Moose in Chestnut WormGroove Bone. Factory edges intact and unused with original tubes and certificates! I love them but could never bring myself to carry them.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I felt the same way about my 77 NF Barlow and, later, the 81 Appaloosa bone moose, but I forced myself to carry both. 8)

Photos of your knives would be appreciated. I'd have some interest in the 54 and possibly the 36, although for the latter I realize the prices are pretty high and probably out of my range. Definitely interested in seeing the bone on the 54 and the others.
hivoltage777

Post by hivoltage777 »

Holy cow I was lookin and that listing and forgot about it. Somebody made off well if the seller fulfills. ::uc::

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”