Camillus Lok-Rancher

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Camillus Lok-Rancher

Post by knifeaholic »

I have long thought this to be an unusual Camillus pattern because of the unique locking mechanism. I recall when Camillus introduced this knife in the 1970's. This is the first one that I have ever owned - seems like they are somewhat scarce. Maybe the Camillus collectors can chime in as to how common they are.

Its a big knife at 4-1/4" closed. I originally had thought that all of these Camillus "India Stag" knives were stainless, but in looking at the old 1972 catalog, looks like all but the fish knife were carbon steel.
Attachments
IMG_9405.JPG
IMG_9437.JPG
IMG_9438.JPG
IMG_9407.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus Lok-Rancher

Post by jerryd6818 »

The "Indian Stag" handles were introduced about 1970 or so, then in 1976 Camillus introduced the #7 "Cam-Lok" (4¾" closed) and the #88 "Lok-Rancher" stockman (4¼" closed). They were still in the 1984 catalog but gone by 1990.

I don't think they went over very well because they're not real common today and when you do see one for sale, even if it's not listed by "ditwtexas", folks are asking well north of $100 for the Cam-Lok. Same-same Lok-Rancher.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

jerryd6818 wrote:The "Indian Stag" handles were introduced about 1970 or so, then in 1976 Camillus introduced the #7 "Cam-Lok" (4¾" closed) and the #88 "Lok-Rancher" stockman (4¼" closed). They were still in the 1984 catalog but gone by 1990.

I don't think they went over very well because they're not real common today and when you do see one for sale, even if it's not listed by "ditwtexas", folks are asking well north of $100 for the Cam-Lok. Same-same Lok-Rancher.
Thanks Jerry for the info. Based on the tang stamp, can you tell anything about the year made for mine?
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

#7 Cam-Loc
Attachments
20151210_172110(1).jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

knifeaholic wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:The "Indian Stag" handles were introduced about 1970 or so, then in 1976 Camillus introduced the #7 "Cam-Lok" (4¾" closed) and the #88 "Lok-Rancher" stockman (4¼" closed). They were still in the 1984 catalog but gone by 1990.

Thanks Jerry for the info. Based on the tang stamp, can you tell anything about the year made for mine?
It's that 197x-198x stamp. That's about as close as anyone can get using the tang stamp so same as the years for the knife. Late '70s to mid to late '80s.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

A pair of related documents
Attachments
1976-catalog_08.jpg
US3868774_FOLDING BLADE KNIFE WITH BLADE LOCK_1.jpg
US3868774_FOLDING BLADE KNIFE WITH BLADE LOCK_2.jpg
US3868774_FOLDING BLADE KNIFE WITH BLADE LOCK_3.jpg
US3868774_FOLDING BLADE KNIFE WITH BLADE LOCK_4.jpg
US3868774_FOLDING BLADE KNIFE WITH BLADE LOCK_5.jpg
US3868774_FOLDING BLADE KNIFE WITH BLADE LOCK_6.jpg
US3868774_FOLDING BLADE KNIFE WITH BLADE LOCK_7.jpg
US3868774_FOLDING BLADE KNIFE WITH BLADE LOCK_8.jpg
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Way too Cool ! ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Very cool. I have a 78 (3 7/8 inches) and and two 89 patterns (same as yours without the lock). All of them are non stainless. And the steel is every bit as good as the old XX era CASE steel that I love so much.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

........jerry, I've got a #89 stockman(staglon) that I'm sure my granddad gave me(he died in 1952), it has the short line stamp and is stamped "89" on the pile side of the master.the staglon on this one is much darker than the later ones...... ::shrug:: ::shrug:: ::shrug:: .................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

carrmillus wrote:
........jerry, I've got a #89 stockman(staglon) that I'm sure my granddad gave me(he died in 1952), it has the short line stamp and is stamped "89" on the pile side of the master.the staglon on this one is much darker than the later ones...... ::shrug:: ::shrug:: ::shrug:: .................
Your memory machine done broke down on ya Tommy. Staglon was a Schrade trade name. Camillus called that "Indian Stag" (introduced about 1970) and it was Delrin which wasn't available until after the Dupont factory in West Virginia opened in 1960.

The 89 was introduced as part of the new Prestige line in the Camillus 1973-1974 catalog shown below. #89 is at the bottom of the page.
Attachments
1973-1974 Camillus Catalog.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

jerryd6818 wrote:
carrmillus wrote:
Your memory machine done broke down on ya Tommy. Staglon was a Schrade trade name. Camillus called that "Indian Stag" (introduced about 1970) and it was Delrin which wasn't available until after the Dupont factory in West Virginia opened in 1960.

The 89 was introduced as part of the new Prestige line in the Camillus 1973-1974 catalog shown below. #89 is at the bottom of the page.
......I meant "indian stag", jerry.....what I can't figure out is that handle mat'l and the short-line stamp on a knife that was given to me in 1952??............... ::facepalm:: .......................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

carrmillus wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:
carrmillus wrote: ........jerry, I've got a #89 stockman(staglon) that I'm sure my granddad gave me(he died in 1952), it has the short line stamp and is stamped "89" on the pile side of the master.the staglon on this one is much darker than the later ones...... ::shrug:: ::shrug:: ::shrug:: .................

......I meant "indian stag", jerry.....what I can't figure out is that handle mat'l and the short-line stamp on a knife that was given to me in 1952??............... ::facepalm:: .......................
And it's stamped 89 on the pile side of the tang with a short line stamp on the mark side? Tis indeed a conundrum.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

jerryd6818 wrote:
carrmillus wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:

And it's stamped 89 on the pile side of the tang with a short line stamp on the mark side? Tis indeed a conundrum.
........correct!!!, my grandfather gave it to me in 1952, about a month before he died, and it's always been one of my favorites. I carried it the whole time I was in the army, it's been all over!!.......... ::tu:: ......................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Great knife ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”