Things I Learned Because of Dad

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I did not intend this forum to be all serious stories, but the first few seem to have been more on the serious side. We will get to the humor sooner or later. ::nod::

This is not really a story, I guess there are those who would call it poetry, however I don't consider it poetry because it does not rhyme.

I wrote this in 2002 for my dad. My sister read it at my parents church on Father's Day 2002. My wife & I were visiting that day, but I didn't trust my voice to be steady enough to make it through the whole piece. Anyway, it is for my dad, and dads everywhere.

I learned to tell the truth......
Because Dad always did.

I learn to work hard and provide for my family.....
Because Dad always did.

I learned to serve others.....
Because Dad always did.

I learned how to fish.....
Because Dad taught me.

I learned how to face challenges.....
Because Dad did.

I learned how to overcome great obstacles.....
Because Dad did.

I learned to go to church.....
Because Dad always did.

I learned how to pray.....
Because Dad always did.

I learned how to forgive others.....
Because Dad always did.

I learned how to love others.....
Because Dad always did.

I learned how to love my wife.....
Because Dad always loved Mom.

I learned to be a good father.....
Because Dad was.

Thanks Dad.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Re: Things I Learned Because of Dad

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

::tu:: Thanks Dale!
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
singin46

Post by singin46 »

That's great Dale, my Dad was the very same. ::nod::
Love all Jacks
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Good job, Dale! ::tu:: ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Dale, that's very nice. Your Dad was a special man. I'm quite sure you and all your siblings know that.

My Dad was not like yours.

He loved us, there was no doubt about that.

He died when he was sixty-two.

I mourned him greatly, partly because of what was lost, but mostly for what would never be.

Several years later, I was having an electrical problem at home. I just couldn't figure out the solution. Suddenly, I thought, "Call Daddy, he'll know exactly what's wrong."

Dad was a master electrician.

Just as suddenly, I realized I couldn't call him. He was dead. I sat down and cried all over again.

I could take your poem and make every single one of those statements and them confirm them by adding....."Because Daddy did not".

You learned by your Father's example. I learned by the lack of positive example in my Father's life.

Don't get me wrong. We did have some good times. Gun shows, etc and that's what led me into pocketknives. I still have every knife he ever gave me.

He was sober once for seven years.

But, drunken Christmases, drunken summer vacation trips, DT's in a VA Hospital, the only toilet in the house torn from the bathroom wall in a drunken fall, vomit all over the house and other things tend to steal the joys from one's memory.

I asked him to be my Best Man at our wedding one month before I went to Viet Nam in 1969. He was so drunk on our wedding day that he was almost incapable of standing with me at the front of the church. He did manage it, though.

You were so fortunate, Dale. What a great and wonderful Father you had.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Charlie, It seems to me it took a great deal of courage to "spill your guts" so to speak. Reading your response to Orvet's piece may cause some of us think about where we are in relationship to our precious families. Thank you sir. Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

"You learned by your Father's example. I learned by the lack of positive example in my Father's life."

Charlie,

My friend, believe me I understand this statement all too well.

IMO it's not so much how you learn as what you learn as you pass through this life.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
RobesonsRme.com

Guys, my Dad was no monster, but they dwelt in his soul. He had his own demons and didn't know how to quell them.

He wasn't a social drinker. He drank in private. He drank to forget.

It just didn't work.

I may write something here later that will show him in a more positive light.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Your lucky to have had him at all.
My dad was killed in a working accident in Port Angelis, Washington in 1953.
He was a sober, hard working, very bright mechanic among other skills. I was 6 years old.
Within a year my mother married a beligerent bastardly coward. For years we suffered.
Joe
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks guys for sharing about your fathers, both good and bad. I am sorry for the misfortune you suffered; hearing about it only makes me appreciate my dad that much more.

I talked to my parents today; they had come from the doctor’s office. My mom has cancer of the lymph system. She starts chemotherapy next week. My dad has several medical problems himself (who doesn't it 83) but he was being strong for my mom. They will have been married 64 years (I think) next month. I think dad loves mom more now than ever. It has been a blessing to me to have seen the love they share after so many years and who wants that will grow.
Dad's not as tall as he used to be, but to me he is still a giant among men!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

RobesonsRme.com

Dale, I wish your Mom well.

You're very lucky to still have them.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

Charlie, I never knew you Dad or any other thing he did in his life but, I do know he raised a very good man as a son.
Dale, my families prayers go out to both of your parents and you. I know what your going through.

Aimus
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I was looking for another topic and saw this one and read through this one. I posted it almost 5 years ago.
Mom and dad are with us, they will be 88 at the end of this year. In June they will have been married 68 years.
They are older, more frail than they were 5 years ago. My brother and sister-in-law bought a travel trailer and moved it on to mom and dad's place. My brother talked dad out of driving.
Mom has been on and off of chemo in the last five years. Dad is still getting around a bit slower, but they both have their sense of humor and they both love the Lord. Both are ready to go home to see the Lord.

I have truly been blessed to be their son. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Duffer

Post by Duffer »

That is just great Dale! You are a rich man my friend. Lloyd
Lloyd
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A very wise man said that the most important thing parents can do for their children is to show the kids that they love each other. Dale, that has been a great blessing for you.

My destiny was otherwise, but we are all in the hands of a greater Providence than we can imagine.
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Those of you that have strong family values are very lucky. As for me not so much. I learned that I only had myself to depend on. But through life I learned that I have God and that's all I need!

Monte
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Thanks Dale. My Dad wasn't much of a fisherman but the rest of the piece you wrote was my Dad. I lost him about 20 years ago and Mom around 10 years ago. They were both Godly loving parents who raised 7 kids who all adored them both. I never took for granted how great a gift I was given for the parents God gave me. Thanks again for the reminder of how great I had it and how great some of the younger Dads reading this can make life for their kids. ____Dave
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: My dad was a good man, but inbetween your fathers he had his good days and bad. I learned alot from him when he was home, he was a longhaul trucker. Sometimes things in your fathers pasts caused them to be what they became, abuse, military experiences, maybe just a bad experiences. Allways just remember the good things and forget the bad. Love you Dad. Your son Terry.
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

montemojo wrote:Those of you that have strong family values are very lucky. As for me not so much. I learned that I only had myself to depend on. But through life I learned that I have God and that's all I need!

Monte
That is the most important lesson any of us can learn Monte!

Jesus told the parable of the Prodigal Son, or so it is called by many Bible teachers and commentators. But as I read the story it is really about a Loving Father who accepts his son back no matter how far off track he is gotten.
Of course the father in the parable represents God and each of us are the prodigal.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Dale, in my younger days I was guided by my own carnal satisfactions. Greed, lust, and others. I was successful in doing this. But very unhappy. I contracted bacterial meningitis one day. I knew I was dying. There was no one around. I talked with god that day I let him know that I would rather be in hell than live another day in this world. Obviously he seen things differently. Thank goodness. So out of the blue a friend of mines wife showed up and insisted that I go to the hospital. The doctors said if I would have waited one more hour there wouldn't have been anything they could do. Since then I have changed my way of thinking. I have read the bible front to back and the new testiment again. I didn't understand it all. But to help me better understand Ive also read Fox's book of martyrs and 23 minutes in hell by Bill Wiese. Now I have faith in God and happily await the day I leave this world and travel into the next. I am still a lil hard headed and have trust issues concerning my fellow man in this world that is ruled by greed.

Monte
RobesonsRme.com

Dale, it's great to hear that your folks are still here and apparently doing reasonably well. ::tu::

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com

Monte, oftentimes, one has to arrive at the lowest, most desperate point in their lives before they are ready to take that one little step of faith toward God, just to realize He's been right there, all the time, waiting for them to just reach out to Him.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Charlie that is so true, thanks for your comments. As for me I will never doubt the Lord and what he has done for me. Which is everything good that has happened in my life. I try my best to live right and will continue til the day he calls for me. I've heard so many say they wish to go in their sleep. Not for me I would prefer giving my life saving another or in the name of the Lord. I couldn't care less wether it were painful or not. Thanks

Monte
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Monte, great testimony! Thanks for sharing that.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Monte, oftentimes, one has to arrive at the lowest, most desperate point in their lives before they are ready to take that one little step of faith toward God, just to realize He's been right there, all the time, waiting for them to just reach out to Him.

Charlie Noyes
Very true Charlie! ::nod::
Colonel26 wrote:Monte, great testimony! Thanks for sharing that.
X2 ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Mostly True Stories”