Loosening Stiff Spring

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
AJF

Loosening Stiff Spring

Post by AJF »

I know GEC guys tend to like their stiff springs, so I may be commiting a sin, but here goes. The little #25 "Easy Open" Drop Point Jack I referenced here: http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 56&t=25917 arrived today. It is a nice knife, but unfortunately arrived with some problems. The one I'd like to ask for advice about is that the spring is much stouter than suits me, especially at the beginning of the pull.

I would appreciate any tips or tricks for loosening it up a bit.

Thanks,

Andrew
Gunstock Jack

Re: Loosening Stiff Spring

Post by Gunstock Jack »

Andrew, the springs should loosen up a little with use, but I've noticed that some 25's are quite stiff. I sent one in to Muskrat Man for rehandle and file work (with a very stiff spring), and also asked him to slightly round the corners of the tang. This seemed to make a huge difference and the knife is now a true "easy open". I believe the knife must be disassembled for this proceedure, however.
So here's a few other ideas; as you use your new knife, the wear on the corners of the tang should decrease the amount of pressure needed to open or close. At least that's my theory. Sometimes flushing out the joint on a new knife will make it easier to open and close; squirt WD-40 into the joint and work the blade back and forth over a paper towel, a lot of black crud sometimes comes out.You might also consider contacting GEC and see what they have to say. They are very customer friendly!
IMG_5121.JPG
IMG_5122.JPG
IMG_5123.JPG
I had this knife listed in my store along with two other mammoth ivory rehandles, but the 23 and 73 sold so quickly that I pulled it so I could have at least one mammoth ivory GEC for myself! :mrgreen:
IMG_3579.JPG
This knife was listed as an EDC due to a very minor gap between the spring and frame. (I guess!) Looks great and while stiff, isn't too stiff.

I recently sold a 73LT in cocobolo to a friend, and he asked me to hone it for him. I did this and also flushed the joint with WD-40 (use the little tube over a paper towel) and oiled it lightly. He was showing it to a friend of his, and when the guy went to open it, it jumped right out of his hand, cutting his thumb in the process (not seriously). He's an older guy and uses cheap off-shore knives around the farm all the time, but he was sure suprised when he opened up that GEC! That knife is alive!
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com
AJF

Post by AJF »

Barry, thanks for the great posts---lots of info. and beautiful knives!

My #25 had some other issues as well, so it's on its way back to the dealer. One thing I couldn't figure on it, though, is why the nail nick wasn't lined up with the "Easy Open" (hah!) cut-out. Seems like it would make sense to put it there.

Andrew
Earl

Post by Earl »

Andrew I think you did the right thing. Although I've never tried it,not even sure if I'd recommend it but have read that others have tried leaving the blade partially open under tension for a week or so to improve it ::shrug:: Ultimately if your not happy the knife should go back,good call imho.
AJF

Post by AJF »

Thanks, Earl. Yep, it sure is convenient buying online, but there are times when it would be nice to get the feel of something before plopping down the cash. Guess this was one of those times!

Andrew
Leafman

Post by Leafman »

Hi Folks, here are my thoughts from England. I spent today in my Blacksmith forge restoring rusty old bone handled pen knife for my daughter's birthday. Yes it was stiff! I tried all the suggestions here and it was only a
little easier. I also tried pumice powder and oil and many open-closing attempts, some success. I then tried filing the blade haunch by inserting a thin wiffler file into the housing. Better but I realised the spring was strong and so would not really change without retempering, a long job and worth it. Anyway a stiff spring makes the open knife safer. So, being divergent I thought of drilling a hole to aid pulling the blade. I was reshaping the blade anyway - to make it a pruning knife and so the hole was ideal as an eye! Now I have a Swan, or Duck head blade and have added a bent key to make pulling it open easier! I fancy making more of these now...
Attachments
IMG_3651.JPG
IMG_3652.JPG
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Leafman welcome to the forum! That is an interesting solution to the problem of a nail breaker pull, and a very good looking knife. Do you have a before photo of the knife?
Mel
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

That is certainly one way to solve the problem.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Leafman

Post by Leafman »

No I don't have a before photo - I kicked myself halfway through about that. I normally do but this time ---- oops.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”