GEC #35 Harness Jack

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

GEC #35 Harness Jack

Post by kootenay joe »

My favorite knife 'set up' is 2 blades, 1 spring which this 3 3/4" Equal End Double End jack is. It is a Charlie Campagna SFO, his 10th Harness Jack.
The knife is attractive, as attractive as a 'plain jane' equal end frame can be. It lacks the 'wow' factor of the curvaceous serpentine patterns.
Plain Jane she might be but i rank this as one of the very best of all my GEC's. The reason is the blade grind. It's the thinnest of any GEC blade i've ever met and i think of any production knife i own. But it is not flexible or flimsy in any way. It is a Champion Slicer. I say GEC's best slicer.
The other reason for ranking Plain Jane as GEC Knife # 1 is the awl. I have never had a pocket knife awl with such an extreme point, like a hypodermic needle point.
This pattern has not received much mention. Mine has become my new EDC. It is just too good to not use.
kj
Attachments
German FB's 001.jpg
German FB's 002.jpg
German FB's 003.jpg
German FB's 004.jpg
German FB's 005.jpg
German FB's 006.jpg
German FB's 009.jpg
German FB's 008.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: GEC #35 Harness Jack

Post by kootenay joe »

Just want to add that in use it is very comfortable in hand because the secondary awl lies almost flush with the frame. Too often a secondary blade sticks out enough to make a firm grip uncomfortable. Not so here. It is a very usable knife. Can you tell i'm enthused ?
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Kj that;s a superb knife. I like the equal ends, they seem to ride in the pocket better than others. I assume those are ebony handles?
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

I agree that is a sweet knife. I've been eyeing those when they come up for sale and wanting one, keep hoping for a lucky steal but probably not gonna happen so I need to face the fact that I should pay what it is worth if I want to own one. :) I did pick up a GEC 54 harness jack about a month ago and I love it but it is a little large for pocket carry and having it hasn't made me not want the #35 too. I love a knife with an awl, I think because it reminds me of my very first real knife, a Boy Scout many moons ago. :)
Greg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

KJ, that one is a beauty. I see why you like it.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for your posts. Yes handles are ebony. I think this is the only handle material it came with.
I posted so that if you see one on the secondary market for a reasonable price, you will know it is a 'good knife', especially to carry & use.
There is very little posted about this knife so i wanted to spread the word because i am sure you will also be impressed by this 'sleeper'.
kj
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

KJ, I see why you like it, it has a nice "flow" (for lack of a better term). I'll be looking for one myself. ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I just saw this one on ebay. Apparently a SFO for Blade Forums.
Attachments
GEC #35 Drover.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Joe - that is a fine looking knife and I can see why you made it your EDC. I have a couple of ebony handled GECs (not #35) and I really like the ebony, as well as the blades. I have a #54 Harness Jack and it also has a very serious punch, and a very serious backspring, too. I do not collect Harness Jacks but I could not resist getting just one. Did you ever see this thread? It has been dormant for a couple of years now.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15911
Mel
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Greg, the BF knife is the same pattern but i wonder if the blade is ground as thinly; i.e. did Charlie request an extra thin blade grind ?
Or did all the blades, BF & CC receive the same thin grind ?
Mel i had not seen the thread "Charlie's Passion". I will add my pics of HJ #10 to it shortly.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Greg, the BF knife is the same pattern but i wonder if the blade is ground as thinly; i.e. did Charlie request an extra thin blade grind ?
Or did all the blades, BF & CC receive the same thin grind ?
Mel i had not seen the thread "Charlie's Passion". I will add my pics of HJ #10 to it shortly.
kj
I don't know the answer to that question Kj. I just happened to see it while browsing. I noticed they also had a very similar pattern but with a pen in place of the punch.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”