The first Uncle Henry

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
gwelker62

The first Uncle Henry

Post by gwelker62 »

Much discussion is often about the coveted 2OT and it being the first Old Timer, but not much is said of the first Uncle Henry. And referencing the Schrade catalogs, that would be the 897UH?
897UH 1967 ad.png
I picked up this minty 897 w/ box and papers earlier this year for cheap.
IMAG0446.jpg
IMAG0449.jpg

Granted not as rare as a 2OT or bone 8OT, but first year 897s can still be acquired cheaper than other first year production Uncle Henry models like a LB7-8s or 227UH.
XX Case XX

Re: The first Uncle Henry

Post by XX Case XX »

Extra C-O-O-L :) ::tu:: ::nod:: :mrgreen:

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Very nice!! I like the early Schrade Walden Uncle Henrys. Like the hinged box 897UH, 885UH and 285UH.
Just a little tip, if it matters to you, a little gentle cleaning with laundry soap and a soft tooth brush will clean that tray up nice. If it's stuborn you can also use dish soap to help clean the oil stain. The tray for this early (pre-model number) 897UH Keen Kutter, Ser. #05801, was pretty nasty and it cleaned up good. Just be careful, that old plastic gets brittle and fragile.
Attachments
897, SW Pre Model # Keen Kutter SFO (13).JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Those first Uncle Henry 897s are really lovely knives; the milled back really dresses them up, as well. They are the great great great great grandchildren of the exact same pattern made many years before WWII by Schrade CutCo. They exist with four different covers in the old catalogs with non-stainless blades. And then in 1953 they arrived in the catalog as the 825 with stainless steel blades, concurrently with the non-stainless version, which had become the 895 and 896. At one point they were marketing the 825 in bone and 'jigged' Delrin, the 897UH, the 895 in bone and 'jigged' Delrin, the 896 in butter and molasses celluloid, the 896 in butter and molasses Delrin, and the 896 in 'barnwood'? Delrin. All basically the same knife. And, of course, they went on to market countless variations right up until the close of the company. This is of course not counting the other variations with different blade configurations, both stainless and non-stainless. A person could base an entire collection on nothing but this 'slenderino' pattern. 3 9/16 inches closed serpentine stockman (there is the 899 with punch, and the 2 blader for Norm Thompson; this is still Schrade Walden, mind you, not yet 1973.).
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

I often wonder how the decision was made to use this pattern to launch Henry's signature line. I think you have pretty much answered it in your post. It seems this is just simply a very useful pattern/combination of blades. Isn't hard too look at the slenderino and see a bunch of ways to use it. Even use it to cut steak with at camp. Sheeps foot blades have a thousand uses. The size is manageable without driving you crazy having it in your pocket. The stainless, brass, jimping, hinged box and loss replacement must have made those first owners pretty happy. Following it up with the 885 and 285 makes perfect sense. Two other extremely useful proven patterns. I think the pattern selection went a long way toward the success of the line. My first UH the 127 was my first knife I owned. Still my favorite. It gets right to it. Open that bad girl up and something is getting cut. The early ones with the fat handles are awesome. I know there is a huge and loyal old timer fan base out there but for me the uncle Henry knives are more better.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

JAMESC41001 wrote: The early ones with the fat handles are awesome.
You are the first person I know who has ever commented on them. I have a 127 and a 227 with that feature, with low serial numbers. The 127 is #456 and the 227 is #1542. I don't think the fat handles were used for very long.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Michael Little, aka Codger64 in Bladeforums has the 897 as his favorite Schrade of all time. He did extensive research into this pattern, the boxes, etc. If you search the Schrade Collectors forum at BF you can find his authoratative & in depth post on the 897 pattern.
Cal, thanks for reviewing those pattern numbers for us.
kj
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Yes sir, I don't believe they ran many at all with the fat handles. I have a 127 like that for sure. Not sure now about the 227. Have to look. 456 is a very low serial indeed. I'll check and see what mine is. Maybe we can dial in on it a bit.
Jay
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Okay, I held off being a part of hijacking this thread but I have to chime in. Where in the heck do I find a serial number on my Schrade Walden 'fatboy' 127UH? I never thought of it before now. I just looked mine over and I can't find one. I really like these things too. I've had two of them and have one now in mint condition that I won't use. I like not only the wide girth but also the better more aggressive texture on the handle. It is much better for heavy and prolonged use. Excellent hunting knife! I don't even know where they would put a serial number, dah. ::facepalm::
Attachments
127UH Schrade Walden (2).JPG
From the 1968 catalog
From the 1968 catalog
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Inside brass liner. Where the blade sits
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

THANK YOU!
I thought I looked it over pretty good but I missed it being stamped on the blade lock at the opposite end of the knife from the blades. ::dang::
Serial #09532
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Mustanger, that is a great looking knife. I'm glad you posted the pic from the catalog. I have been looking for a 127 in that wood box with that sheath and have not found one. No one I've talked to has ever seen one. And I've talked to people who were there at the time. I am beggining to think it was only used for the picture. Anyway the serial # on my fat staglon 127 is 04028. I have one with the slimmer handles that is in the 6000 range. Left my glasses at work. Hard to read it exactly but I will when I get a chance.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I saved that catalog picture because that boxed set with gaucho sheath is kind of a holy grail for me.
Thanks for the discouraging comment..... :lol:

At least we know they made at least 9,532 fatboys.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Mustanger, that is a great looking knife. I'm glad you posted the pic from the catalog. I have been looking for a 127 in that wood box with that sheath and have not found one. No one I've talked to has ever seen one. And I've talked to people who were there at the time. I am beggining to think it was only used for the picture. Anyway the serial # on my fat staglon 127 is 04028. I have one with the slimmer handles that is in the 6000 range. Left my glasses at work. Hard to read it exactly but I will when I get a chance.
That box is not wood; it is a paperboard as per usual but with a nice rigid fitted plastic liner. I don't have one either for an Uncle Henry, but I do have that set for the 25OT. A worthy grail hunt, for sure!
25 OT Walden box set.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Calvin, is that the first 25OT ?
And did the 225 & 225H stop with production of 25OT ? or were both made for a few years ?
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote:Calvin, is that the first 25OT ? And did the 225 & 225H stop with production of 25OT ? or were both made for a few years ?
kj
It is an early one. The open stock version was in catalogs from 1953 to 1973, by Dale's database. And of course it was sold by Schrade Cutco earlier. A very nice one in lemon yellow celluloid (pre-1947) was listed earlier this month by Richard L. The early ones by CutCo and the first ones by Schrade Walden had sabre-ground master blades and more handle pins than you see in the Old Timers and in the later flat-ground 225Hs.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Good info, Thanks. I have a collection of 25OT & 125OT but i don't have any as early as yours with short lived basket weave sheath.
kj

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”