Question about Browning Canal Street Knife

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
TXSHOOTER

Question about Browning Canal Street Knife

Post by TXSHOOTER »

Newbie here. Has anyone seen A Canal St Browning like this ? It is double stamped on the left side 254 0f 500. Has not been sharpened . I may put it up for sale but do not have a clue as to value. Thanks for any help. Will be gone Mar 21-28 to Mexico
Attachments
SANY3234.JPG
TXSHOOTER

Re: Question about Browning Canal Street Knife

Post by TXSHOOTER »

Forgot to mention the knife is a Browning USA Model 749
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Camillus 72 1946-1950 Bone - Welcome To AAPK-crop.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TXSHOOTER

Post by TXSHOOTER »

Thank you
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Welcome TXShooter! I love the Canal Street Knives and it looks like you have a nice one there! The only issue I would have is that it is double stamped. This was most likely done at Browning as Canal Street would never have let that one leave the factory like that. Now the other option might be that it was done at Canal Street and then it would be a second....not for the open market, and possibly was given to an employee or a customer as a user.

My personal opinion is that it detracts from the knife significantly. Now having said that, there are folks that can possibly remove that double stamping and make the knife more pleasing to the eye without much affect to the performance of the knife, obviously dependent upon how deep the stamping is.

That is the first Browning Canal Street I have seen. I know Canal Street made knives for many manufacturers/companies and just didn't give Browning a thought.

Tom
TXSHOOTER

Post by TXSHOOTER »

Thank you for the welcome and the good info. I have searched high and low and just cannot find another. I have the tools to remove the stamp other than the 254 of 500. Will have to dwell on it a bit. I'd like to get $100 for it if I sell it. Will be listing some other knives after our trip. Thanks again and best regards. Buddy V..
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

This pattern was made toward the end of 2008. They were ground and profiled in ellenville. Can't remember the handle material by they look real nice.
Jay
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Nice looking knife. Does it have a Canal Street stamp on the opposite tang ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
TXSHOOTER

Post by TXSHOOTER »

Sorry for late reply. Just got back from Mexico. It does not say Canal Street on the knife , only Browning USA and model 749
REDTROUT

Post by REDTROUT »

THIS IS REDTROUT I SOLD THAT KNIFE IT WAS A DOUBLE STAMP IT WAS A SECOND BECAUSE OF THE 2 MARKES
TXSHOOTER

Post by TXSHOOTER »

Thanks. I'm the one who bought it from you, and have since sold it.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Definitely Canal Street, can't recall what year we made them though, maybe 2013 or 2014? It was a Russ Kommer designed knife, very cool burl supplied by Browning for the handles, stainless bolsters, I think the steel was 440C. There was a clip point proto also but we never wound up making that one. I liked it so much I actually made a clip point out of one that had a screwed up blade lol, if I find it I'll throw a picture up here.
They didn't come with a sheath though, that's a bonus, if I remember correctly they were sent to Browning in bulk to be installed in wood display cases.

Eric
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

TXSHOOTER wrote:Thanks. I'm the one who bought it from you, and have since sold it.
............to me. :mrgreen:

And now it's staying at my house. 8) Unlike Tom, the double stamp didn't bother me and in some way, I think, adds a little to the history of that particular knife.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Phil congrats!! You got a very cool knife, we only did customs like that for Kabar and Browning (that's actually the only one for Browning), so you got what amounts to a very limited new pattern. ::tu:: ::tu::

Here are the ones I have which I mentioned in the post above. The clip is a one off that I ground from a drop point that was overbuffed resulting in the belly of the edge being removed. The knife was rejected but I couldn't see such nice handles going to waste.

Eric
Attachments
Canal Street Browning Knives.jpg

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”