Case tested pen knife??

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
chevycannontexasjack

Case tested pen knife??

Post by chevycannontexasjack »

I'm not an expert of the old tested patterns! But I would love to find out if this is a pen knife and if so what is the pattern number?
Attachments
1489850193189-1979333209.jpg
Older knives are like women, they are beautiful, pricey, and rarely do you find the good ones!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case tested pen knife??

Post by knifeaholic »

Looks like an 06244...would be 3-1/4" closed.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
chevycannontexasjack

The 06244 has round bolsters though and a bigger blade right?
Older knives are like women, they are beautiful, pricey, and rarely do you find the good ones!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

chevycannontexasjack wrote:The 06244 has round bolsters though and a bigger blade right?
Not in Tested. The design for the 06244 was changed to rounded bolsters and standard clip blade in the XX era.

This image is from a Tested era catalog.
Attachments
Case_Catalog_30.jpg
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
chevycannontexasjack

That's really neat, I did not know that! Thank you so much!
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

Quoting myself from an October 2013 Knife World article: "Another real head scratcher that sometimes causes some raised eyebrows is a little 3 1/4 in. penknife that Case designated pattern number 06244. During the earliest years of production, pre-1920 examples stamped with pattern numbers confirmed along with early catalogs that the 06244 had square bolsters just like it's jackknife (6244) and stock knife(6344) brethren, and all was right with the world. It seems that at some point probably, in the late tested or early XX eras, someone at the Case company was either taking a nip on the job or thought it would be funny to play a joke on aging knife collectors with tired old minds, like me. Anyway for some unknown reason it was decided to change the 06244 from a square bolstered knife to a round bolstered knife. I don't suppose it would be possible to say exactly when this took place, but it suffices to say that some of these newer round bolstered 06244s were assembled with tested blades. Oddly enough though, like many transition knives, even though some of these round bolstered knives had authentic tested era stamps at least some of them had the XX era style blades, along with at least some having the old "Closed C" tested shield. So now what you have is two varieties of the 06244 within the tested era. One with square bolsters and one with round. at least we know that after the tested blades were all used up, the 06244s from that point on were all round bolstered knives right??....Later on these were changed to the 62087 in the green bone set. See the article for more info.
Take Care
Gary
Listen with your eyes, it's the only way you can believe what you hear.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Blade Runner wrote:Quoting myself from an October 2013 Knife World article: "Another real head scratcher that sometimes causes some raised eyebrows is a little 3 1/4 in. penknife that Case designated pattern number 06244. During the earliest years of production, pre-1920 examples stamped with pattern numbers confirmed along with early catalogs that the 06244 had square bolsters just like it's jackknife (6244) and stock knife(6344) brethren, and all was right with the world. It seems that at some point probably, in the late tested or early XX eras, someone at the Case company was either taking a nip on the job or thought it would be funny to play a joke on aging knife collectors with tired old minds, like me. Anyway for some unknown reason it was decided to change the 06244 from a square bolstered knife to a round bolstered knife. I don't suppose it would be possible to say exactly when this took place, but it suffices to say that some of these newer round bolstered 06244s were assembled with tested blades. Oddly enough though, like many transition knives, even though some of these round bolstered knives had authentic tested era stamps at least some of them had the XX era style blades, along with at least some having the old "Closed C" tested shield. So now what you have is two varieties of the 06244 within the tested era. One with square bolsters and one with round. at least we know that after the tested blades were all used up, the 06244s from that point on were all round bolstered knives right??....Later on these were changed to the 62087 in the green bone set. See the article for more info.
Take Care
Gary
Hey Gary. I hope life finds you well.
I believe that is the article I provided a picture of my green bone 06244 for, correct? It was the square bolster variety. Sad to say I never saw the article but was honored you asked to include my knife.
Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
chevycannontexasjack

Thank you very much Gary for sharing your article!
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

zp4ja wrote:
Blade Runner wrote:Quoting myself from an October 2013 Knife World article: "Another real head scratcher that sometimes causes some raised eyebrows is a little 3 1/4 in. penknife that Case designated pattern number 06244. During the earliest years of production, pre-1920 examples stamped with pattern numbers confirmed along with early catalogs that the 06244 had square bolsters just like it's jackknife (6244) and stock knife(6344) brethren, and all was right with the world. It seems that at some point probably, in the late tested or early XX eras, someone at the Case company was either taking a nip on the job or thought it would be funny to play a joke on aging knife collectors with tired old minds, like me. Anyway for some unknown reason it was decided to change the 06244 from a square bolstered knife to a round bolstered knife. I don't suppose it would be possible to say exactly when this took place, but it suffices to say that some of these newer round bolstered 06244s were assembled with tested blades. Oddly enough though, like many transition knives, even though some of these round bolstered knives had authentic tested era stamps at least some of them had the XX era style blades, along with at least some having the old "Closed C" tested shield. So now what you have is two varieties of the 06244 within the tested era. One with square bolsters and one with round. at least we know that after the tested blades were all used up, the 06244s from that point on were all round bolstered knives right??....Later on these were changed to the 62087 in the green bone set. See the article for more info.
Take Care
Gary
I believe that is the article I provided a picture of my green bone 06244 for, correct? It was the square bolster variety. Sad to say I never saw the article but was honored you asked to include my knife.
Jerry
Yes that's right Jerry. I was tickled that you were able to contribute such a beautiful knife. Thanks again for your help!
Gary
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

chevycannontexasjack wrote:Thank you very much Gary for sharing your article!
You are most welcome my friend.
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

Blade Runner wrote:
zp4ja wrote:
Take Care
Gary
Jerry
Yes that's right Jerry. I was tickled that you were able to contribute such a beautiful knife. Thanks again for your help!
Gary

Hey Jerry
PM me your address and I'll mail you a signed copy. I checked and have a few left.
Gary
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks for your generosity Gary. PM sent.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”