I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Captain O

I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Post by Captain O »

I know that the SOG Mini-Pentagon is made in Taiwan with a 3.63" AUS-8 blade and is 7.88 in OAL it weighs 3.3 ounces. The Gerber Guardian is made in the USA (39.7 miles from where I live). It is manufactured from 420 High Carbon Steel and has a 3.41" blade and is 7.28" in OAL and weighs 3 ounces. I am leaning toward the Guardian but also like the slightly larger Mini-Pentagon. The only problem with the Mini-Pentagon is it has been reported to have a flimsier blade than the Guardian.

Any opinions?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Post by jerryd6818 »

Not a dimes worth of difference in them. Put 'em in a sack, shake 'em up and you wouldn't be able to say which one would fall out first. Get the Gerber. Buy American and support your local economy.
Attachments
Gerber Guardian-Back Up.jpg
SOG Mini Pentagon.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Gerber .................. in a heart beat ...................
Joe
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Gerber USA or SOG Taiwan? What's the dilemma? Gerber USA.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I bit and went for the Gerber. If their 420HC is anywhere near as good as Buck's, I'll be in business.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Gerber ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

All I need is a shoulder harness to clip this thing on so that I can draw it from beneath a Navy Blue windbreaker (I choose Navy because I want to keep the knife hidden until I need to produce it). You have to admit, such a harness can come in handy during an emergency/crisis situation. ::hmm::

D'ya think? ::uc::
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I'm expecting delivery from Amazon of both my Gerber Guardian (and an old-fashioned black military-type web belt) by Saturday the 25th. (The belt is necessary to carry my Cold Steel PBL20 Peace Maker II). For $7.00 I couldn't go wrong. The old military web belt rarely wears out and is adjustable out to 52 inches.

I think that I will like both.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Captain O wrote:All I need is a shoulder harness to clip this thing on so that I can draw it from beneath a Navy Blue windbreaker (I choose Navy because I want to keep the knife hidden until I need to produce it). You have to admit, such a harness can come in handy during an emergency/crisis situation. ::hmm::

You might want to invest in a gun if defense is your intent. I imagine your state issues permits. I assume concealed carry of such a knife is illegal in your area, correct? To each his own. Just a suggestion if defense is the intent.
Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Good advice Jerry. Knives come in a poor and distant second as self defense devices. They're better than a club or a rock but that's about it.

Edit: On second thought, in the right hands, actually a stick is better than a knife.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Good advice Jerry. Knives come in a poor and distant second as self defense devices. They're better than a club or a rock but that's about it.

Edit: On second thought, in the right hands, actually a stick is better than a knife.
I've heard it said "ain't nothing like a good piece of hickory".
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

1st rule of knife fighting.....you ARE going to get cut.

2nd rule of knife fighting......DON'T get in a knife fight.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

zp4ja wrote:
Captain O wrote:All I need is a shoulder harness to clip this thing on so that I can draw it from beneath a Navy Blue windbreaker (I choose Navy because I want to keep the knife hidden until I need to produce it). You have to admit, such a harness can come in handy during an emergency/crisis situation. ::hmm::

You might want to invest in a gun if defense is your intent. I imagine your state issues permits. I assume concealed carry of such a knife is illegal in your area, correct? To each his own. Just a suggestion if defense is the intent.
Jerry
Jerry,

This is exactly what I was thinking - there are too many guys out there with WAY better tactical knife skills than I do to ever carry a knife for defense. I CCW
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Lansky1 wrote:
zp4ja wrote:

Jerry
Jerry,

This is exactly what I was thinking - there are too many guys out there with WAY better tactical knife skills than I do to ever carry a knife for defense. I CCW
I am with ya Lansky! As I said to each his own. I don't even consider my EDC knives as backup to my Primary CCW. For that task, I carry a second gun, a SIG Micro 1911 P938 with 2 spare extended mags. If that and my primary carry also with 2 spare mags is not enough for the job, I am obviously in deep doo doo and a knife sure as hell is NOT going to be of any help. Just how I do it and I live in a safe town.

Additionally, if getting a gun permit was an issue (not where I am, very easy), I would prefer to carry a gun versus a dagger as they both likely have the same legal punishment involved if caught.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

zp4ja wrote:
Lansky1 wrote:
zp4ja wrote:
Jerry
Jerry,

I am with ya Lansky! As I said to each his own. I don't even consider my EDC knives as backup to my Primary CCW. For that task, I carry a second gun, a SIG Micro 1911 P938 with 2 spare extended mags. If that and my primary carry also with 2 spare mags is not enough for the job, I am obviously in deep doo doo and a knife sure as hell is NOT going to be of any help. Just how I do it and I live in a safe town.

Additionally, if getting a gun permit was an issue (not where I am, very easy), I would prefer to carry a gun versus a dagger as they both likely have the same legal punishment involved if caught.

Jerry
Good point in the last one there.

I handled one of those 938's. it was a real nice little gun. I was impressed.
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Been followin' this thread and wondered about where it was going. Good choice, American Gerber over any other place of mfg. but I'm more on the page with zp4ja, Lansky and Colonel26, if we are concealing for defensive purposes, we might as well make it worth while! I'm too old and wore out to conceal any thing but my 9 mm.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

treefarmer wrote:Been followin' this thread and wondered about where it was going. Good choice, American Gerber over any other place of mfg. but I'm more on the page with zp4ja, Lansky and Colonel26, if we are concealing for defensive purposes, we might as well make it worth while! I'm too old and wore out to conceal any thing but my 9 mm.
Treefarmer
Y'all remember the scene from Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark where Harrison Ford has just fought his way through a pile of bad guys in he market place and he runs into this great big feller with the sword?

That guy twirls and flips that sword around and Indiana pulls out his top break revolver and ends the fight. Lol. That's he way you knife fight.
Robert E. Lee
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Colonel26 wrote:
treefarmer wrote:Been followin' this thread and wondered about where it was going. Good choice, American Gerber over any other place of mfg. but I'm more on the page with zp4ja, Lansky and Colonel26, if we are concealing for defensive purposes, we might as well make it worth while! I'm too old and wore out to conceal any thing but my 9 mm.
Treefarmer
Y'all remember the scene from Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark where Harrison Ford has just fought his way through a pile of bad guys in he market place and he runs into this great big feller with the sword?

That guy twirls and flips that sword around and Indiana pulls out his top break revolver and ends the fight. Lol. That's he way you knife fight.
Hey Wade my friend that is actually a very classic example of my point, I love that part of the movie also.

I never really thought about actual round count as I always knew I carried enough for any real situation. I switch it up with my carries so it differs depending on where I am going or mood.
If I carry my SIG .45 or 10mm with the P938 as backup, I have 47 rounds total. If SIG 226 or 229 and backup, I have 68 rounds total. That is what I carry. No embellishment. Maybe considered overkill for some but I am a firm believer in "I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it". God willing. Not bragging as that is not my style but just born a sheepdog I guess. As I said, if that is not enough, I am in deep trouble or can't shoot for crap but I am a decent shot. If I am having flap jacks with the family including my 2 grandchildren at the local breakfast joint and a deranged moron comes in shooting up the place, a knife will not likely cut anything including the "mustard". Prefer not to see any of my loved ones or someone from my community in a pine box unless due to natural causes and that is hard enough.

Captain O,

I hope you understand the purpose of my response. Not trying to minimize you or make you look bad. Again, not my style. First off, you asked and I gave my opinion as did others whom feel the same way. To each his own and I respect that. Those whom know me here know I mean no disrespect and I am only trying to help. I in no way meant to derail your thread but as I said, you asked and that is my opinion. I sincerely hope that you or I are never in any kind of situation where there is a need to protect yourself or others. But I also believe in being prepared of course. I wish the best to you no matter what your choice and situation.

Regards, Jerry
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

My Guardian arrived today and I love it! (If I plan on using a knife, it will come as a complete surprise to my opponent). I want to stab him/her when least expected. I don't care who it is. I will survive. Motion pictures are pure malarkey. A knife is a last-ditch "sneak" weapon. I refuse to stop stabbing/slicing until my opponent stops breathing. That's how they are used and how it really works. Any combat veteran should know this.

The rest is just "balloon juice".

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”