DOUBLE SHIELD CASE

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
jmam7516

DOUBLE SHIELD CASE

Post by jmam7516 »

A friend of mine stumbled on this Case tested era knife. He has told me that it has the circle C tang stamp on all three blades, no pattern number, and as you can see a shield on both handle scales. I am not sure but i believe it to be a 94 pattern. I would like to hear any thoughts as to the two shields on this piece. Sorry these are the only 2 photos I have. He walked away from it.
Attachments
0125171110.jpg
0125171110a.jpg
John
cbfd

Re: DOUBLE SHIELD CASE

Post by cbfd »

JMAM, I`ve seen and owned old Case knives with a shield on both sides.That in itself doesn`t make it a bad knife.Case did it on rare occasions for some reason but I don`t really know why. Maybe someone else can give you some better information about it. Bill [by the way,Nice looking knife]
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

jmam, I know you don't have the knife and probably can't get more pictures, but I would like to see the blades open. If it is a 94 then the closed length should be 4 1/4 inches. The nail nick in the top picture seems to be in an unusual location for a 94 blade. The grooves in the bolsters look too wide to me. Also I recall only seeing grooves on the flat bolstered 94 patterns. So in my experience the knife has other characteristics in addition to the double shields that make it unusual.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Knife does not look right to me. I do not think it is a legitimate old Case knife. I'd walk away fast.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

I don't believe Case made that knife. It is possible that it might be a contract knife but not having it in hand I would be like Wayne and walk away.
As Bill indicated, the two shields doesn't mean anything. I , like Bill, have had authentic vintage Case knives with two shields. I have been told by experts that they were mistakes made in the factory.

Tom
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Are my eyes deceiving me (quite possible) or does that master blade have a nail nick on both sides?
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I saw a 6345 one time with two shields. I passed on it. I just didn't know!!!

Harold
jmam7516

Post by jmam7516 »

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks to all who replied. I wish I had more answers to the questionable characteristics that have been pointed out. My friend and I live some distance apart. I am trying to get my hands on it for a closer look see. If I should acquire it I will definitely post detailed pics. Thanks again to all.
John
pmoran4081

Post by pmoran4081 »

Look at these
Attachments
Screenshot_20230529_233926_Messages.jpg

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”