Other knives.............

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
knife7knut

Other knives.............

Post by knife7knut »

Thought I would post up some slightly different knives that I have accumulated over the years.I guess most would come under the heading of craft/utility knives.Some use specialized blades while others can utilize single edged razor blades.
First up are a couple of slide blade knives made by the Crescent Tool Co of Jamestown NY.The top one has a double sided blade that is operated by loosening the friction nut and sliding it to the desired opening and then snugging the nut down.
The bottom one uses a spring loaded button.
Second is what I believe is a linoleum knife marked Dan C. Laub Minneapolis Minn. It features a fixed blade on one side and smaller replaceable blades on the other.
Third is a Dexter replaceable blade knife with what appears to be a chisel blade. These knives were made by many manufacturers and featured a variety of blade shapes. I have two sets that belonged to my ex-wife's grandfather who was a shoemaker and 1st generation Italian immigrant.Some of the blades in the sets were hand made from pieces of broken hacksaw blades and were set in a fitted leather case.
Next are several Gillette cigar cutter/utility knives that use single edge razor blades. I have one that is imprinted with an Elks Club emblem and another that is gold plated.
Next is another Gillette product:a scalpel appearing utility knife with aluminum handle and replaceable blades that are very similar to early scalpels.
Last one for this post is a Quik-Blade utility knife that has a small projection on the bottom for cutting through box tape and a spring loaded blade that automatically retracts when you let go of the button. Very small but actually quite comfortable to use.
Attachments
Crescent1.jpg
Crescent2.jpg
Crescent3.jpg
DanLaub099.jpg
DexterMfgCoSouthbridgeMass2016 001.jpg
Gillette1.jpg
Gillette6.jpg
QuickBlade 001.jpg
QuickBlade 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Re: Other knives.............

Post by knife7knut »

Page 2
First up is a Beaver scalpel(I think)that has blades that interchange with the Gillette knives previously posted.
Second is a linoleum cutting kit by Speedball.Used to make designs in linoleum blocks for printing.
Third is a Red Devil Jak-Nife;a combination cutting tool that can be used as a knife and a scraper and closes safely.
Fourth is a set by the Warren Tool Co of Rhinebeck NY
Last up is an unusual folding scraper by Hyde.
Attachments
Beaver1.jpg
SpeedballLinoleumCutter2016.jpg
RedDevilJakNife2.JPG
RedDevilJakNife3.JPG
RedDevilJakNife6.JPG
WarrenToolCoKit 002.jpg
90112 058.jpg
90112 059.jpg
90112 060.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Page 3
First up is a group of old utility knives.They operate by unscrewing the handle slightly and inserting a blade into the jaws.Some of these have storage in the handle for extra blades.These were made by Hyde and Jambor of Milwaukee WI.
The next two pictures are the tools that my ex-wife's grandfather used in his everyday job as a shoemaker.I believe he made the cases for them.Some of the blades are handmade by him.
Next is a multiblade tool by Uni-Tool from England.
The next pictures are some older utility knives.First one is by Armstrong and is cast aluminum and takes special blades.Next is a utility knife designed specifically for left handed people. Next is a cast iron model that just says Made in USA.Next is by Kutto and uses single edge razor blades as does the next one by Conrad.
Last one is marked Lewis and uses a spring loaded flip up guard.
Hope you enjoyed these and please feel free to post any you might own.
Attachments
2012Drawer2 9.jpg
ToolsFromGeorgeCaggiano2016 001.jpg
ToolsFromGeorgeCaggiano2016 002.jpg
UNI-TOOL 001.jpg
UtilityCraftKnives 001.jpg
UtilityCraftKnives 003.jpg
UtilityCraftKnives 006.jpg
UtilityCraftKnives 008.jpg
UtilityCraftKnives 016.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ray, I have one of those linoleum knives around here someplace but finding it is a horse of a different color. ::facepalm::

This is a handy little X-Acto knife, model X3295. Great little knife (discontinued). What a bear to find blades for it and expensive when you do find them.
X-Acto X3295 (uses blade X295).JPG
Spare Blade X295.JPG
This Stanley is my favorite utility knife.
Stanley 10-989 Utility Knife.JPG
This little utility knife is actually made in the USA. I carried it for a while but it was too sharp for skinning the sheathing off Cat-5 cable.
Small Utility.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The scalpel has what i think is a "Beaver" blade; i.e. "Beaver" is the name of that blade profile not necessarily the name of the handle maker.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote:The scalpel has what i think is a "Beaver" blade; i.e. "Beaver" is the name of that blade profile not necessarily the name of the handle maker.
kj
Actually the name BEAVER and the number 7 is embossed into the handle.
Jerry I have one of those X-ACTO knives in my paint kit.don't think I ever tried buying replacement blades for it though.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Years ago before disposable scalpels, the scrub nurse would have scalpel handles laid out on a Mayo stand (tray) along with an assortment of blades which would be mounted onto a handle when requested by the surgeon. A "Beaver blade" was one of the blades set out.
I guess Beaver made handles & blades.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote:Years ago before disposable scalpels, the scrub nurse would have scalpel handles laid out on a Mayo stand (tray) along with an assortment of blades which would be mounted onto a handle when requested by the surgeon. A "Beaver blade" was one of the blades set out.
I guess Beaver made handles & blades.
kj
The company is still in business as Beaver Visitec and they still make a bunch of scalpels;mostly for athroscopic surgery.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

for the X-ACTO knives try Hobby Lobby or Micheal's Crafts stores. The Warren knife set is a great wood carving tool and still sold at the carving shows.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

knife7knut, you are a one-man walking talking museum of all things cutty. You define the term eclectic. Just amazing. Thanks for all your posts.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I agree heartily with the above endorsement of k7k who enriches AAPK with knives of every type usually with accompanying educational posts. And k7k is a fine question answerer as well, frequently helping others.
I appreciate k7k.
kj

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”