Please help with knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
crownblack

Please help with knife

Post by crownblack »

My dad pasted away 15 months ago and I got a knife. Dad said it was illegal in the 70's. It has Imperial Prov. USA stamped on one side of the blade and 2170537-2281782 on the other side. Can anyone tell me how old it is and how much it is worth. Also if it is illegal. Here are 4 pictures of it. Thanks Virgil
Attachments
IMG_2173.JPG
IMG_2174.JPG
IMG_2179.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Please help with knife

Post by bestgear »

Hi Virgil - Sorry you lost your dad, I hope you are fairing well. I can't help you too much with the legality or value of your knife but knowing that it was your dad's make it legacy-special. If it were mine, I'd treasure it with my most valued possessions and make sure that it would stay in my family. Someone will be along that can help you with value and age. Where do you live because knife laws vary from state to state? Also, are you a fan of Crown Royal Black?
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Welcome to the forum Virgil! Sorry to hear about your dad;I lost mine many years ago and still miss him very much.
The knife to me would be priceless knowing it belonged to my dad. As to the legality;it depends a great deal on what state you reside in as the laws vary widely. There are a few states where they are legal to own and a few where they are legal to carry. The best bet is to check the website of the American Knife and Tool Institute(hope I got that right)for a state by state listing of knife laws that is constantly updated.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That would be here: ---> http://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/
It's an interactive map so just click on the state you are interested in.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
crownblack

Post by crownblack »

bestgear wrote:Hi Virgil - Sorry you lost your dad, I hope you are fairing well. I can't help you too much with the legality or value of your knife but knowing that it was your dad's make it legacy-special. If it were mine, I'd treasure it with my most valued possessions and make sure that it would stay in my family. Someone will be along that can help you with value and age. Where do you live because knife laws vary from state to state? Also, are you a fan of Crown Royal Black?
Dad had many pocket knives, he always carried one. So us 3 boys got them. But I was the only one that new he had the switch blade, I am the oldest. The knife is special, he always said I could not touch it, now I am 55 and own it. I live in SD and yes I like Crown Royal. Thanks for everything. Virgil
crownblack

Post by crownblack »

jerryd6818 wrote:That would be here: ---> http://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/
It's an interactive map so just click on the state you are interested in.
Thank You Very Much, I live in SD Virgil
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Hello Again Virgil - I too like CRB and almost every other whiskey! You happen to live in a state where the South Dakota State Constitution is concise as to the right of citizens to bear arms:

Statewide Preemption: No.
Concealed Carry: Not an issue.
Critical Dimensions: None noted.
Prohibited Knives: There are no prohibited knives in South Dakota. A statewide prohibition as to switchblade knives was repealed in 2006.
Concealment: Not an issue. There are no general limitations on the carrying of knives concealed or openly carried.

From the 60-seconds of reading that I did, I see no reason why you can't pack your dad's switchblade anywhere in your state. Peace
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I wouldn't carry it but that is just my personal feeling based on the significance of the knife, nothing to do with it being a switchblade.
If you do store it or even of you do carry it, when it is in storage or at rest overnight, open it up and take the pressure off the spring. It is a fine old knife but it isn't indestructible.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I assume you intend to keep the knife, but be aware that as far as I know, it is still a federal offense to ship the knife across state lines and has been since 1957.

Lots of people ignore that, but the statute has not been rescinded, to my knowledge.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I assume you intend to keep the knife, but be aware that as far as I know, it is still a federal offense to ship the knife across state lines and has been since 1957.

Lots of people ignore that, but the statute has not been rescinded, to my knowledge.

Charlie Noyes
It must not ever be enforced and it probably mostly goes unnoticed. There are many large online knife dealers that have been selling switchblades across state lines for many years.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
crownblack

Post by crownblack »

Paladin wrote:I wouldn't carry it but that is just my personal feeling based on the significance of the knife, nothing to do with it being a switchblade.
If you do store it or even of you do carry it, when it is in storage or at rest overnight, open it up and take the pressure off the spring. It is a fine old knife but it isn't indestructible.

Ray
Thank You So Much Virgil
crownblack

Post by crownblack »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I assume you intend to keep the knife, but be aware that as far as I know, it is still a federal offense to ship the knife across state lines and has been since 1957.

Charlie Noyes
Thanks for the info, I will never really carry it, just will keep it. Thanks for all the info. Virgil

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”