CASE 11, 11-1/2, 11-1/2L and Cheetah thread

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
zp4ja

Re: CASE 11, 11-1/2, 11-1/2L and Cheetah thread

Post by zp4ja »

peanut740 wrote:Jerry ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks for the compliment my friend! That one that was Johnnie's as some real sweet cranberry bone on it as in reddiish/purple. I love that knife.

I hope life find you well!

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Bump in hopes of new posts.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

My cats
Attachments
image.jpeg
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Pulled out my 1976 Stag Cheetah (right hand side, second up from bottom) the other day to show a friend.
PA061073.JPG
When I opened the blade, there was a sickening <<CRACK>> The back spring snapped! #OUCH!

Sent it in to Case for repair...Hopefully they'll make good on their famous Lifetime Warranty. They've always been good to me in the past, I just hope they can fix it and keep it in as original condition as possible.

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

XxTestedxX wrote:My cats
Nice ones Zach. Are the 71' Cheetahs small or large stamp examples?

Q,

That sucks and is interesting. I have the same year knife as an EDC with file work backsprings and some other mods that is rock solid. Use it all the time. Funny but with all the hundreds of CASE knives I have, never had a backspring break. Hope they can fix up the issue for you.

Jerry
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

I read somewhere in this post about the 10 dot, 9 dot, 8dot stags. Will someone bring me up to speed? I own a (readable) 9 dot stag. Is it possible for it to be a 10 dot, but covered by the guard? or are all 10 dot knives readable?
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

If your cheetah has a pattern number stamped, it is not a 10 dot. The few 10 dots produced were not stamped with a pattern number.

Hope this helps.
Tom
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

That helps a lot Tom, Thankyou
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

Tom, and are there no true 8 Dots?
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

It is my understanding that no 8 dot stag cheetahs were produced.

Tom
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

That's pretty strange because the 10 dot that was recently shown here all dots were clearly visible and on most of the 9 dots I have seen you can only see 8 as the final dot is hidden by the swing gaurd. ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Treejakal wrote:I read somewhere in this post about the 10 dot, 9 dot, 8dot stags. Will someone bring me up to speed? I own a (readable) 9 dot stag. Is it possible for it to be a 10 dot, but covered by the guard? or are all 10 dot knives readable?
Can you please post some pictures?
gsmith7158 wrote:That's pretty strange because the 10 dot that was recently shown here all dots were clearly visible and on most of the 9 dots I have seen you can only see 8 as the final dot is hidden by the swing gaurd. ::shrug::
Agree with all that has been said. As to what Greg said, agree 100%. That is what I have observed in looking at a LOT of CASE swing guards.
In fact, only BONE 9 dot swing guards I have ever observed had 8 dots visible with the 9th dot being exposed only when the guard was removed. You can see them in this post.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... idden+dots

As far as the stag models, all the 71 Cheetah I have seen have 9 dots with 8 visible. Never has an 8 dot been observed when guard was removed. All the 10 dot prototypes I observed have all 10 dot visible and no model stamp as Tom stated.

Jerry
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

::dang:: I was wrong, I should no longer trust my memory and get better glasses. When I went to photo the knife I could only see 8dots, which is in line with all that has been said.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Ahh, finally, my first Case swing guard. The seller called it a Stilleto because of pre 70s mfg. Any opinion on that?

This is just my kind of knife. Not too spiffy which makes them pakky, if ya get my drift. :mrgreen:

I really like this knife. ::tu::
Attachments
DSCN5128.JPG
DSCN5129.JPG
DSCN5139.JPG
DSCN5141.JPG
DSCN5144.JPG
Joe
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

FRJ wrote:Ahh, finally, my first Case swing guard. The seller called it a Stilleto because of pre 70s mfg. Any opinion on that?

This is just my kind of knife. Not too spiffy which makes them pakky, if ya get my drift. :mrgreen:

I really like this knife. ::tu::
Yeah Joe ,I don't think they called them Cheetah till1970. That's a fine USA. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, Greg. Haven't chased these so I didn't know about name changes from date changes. I assume those are Case's marketing names.
I like "swing guard", actually.
I am pretty impressed with this knife.
Thanks again, Greg.
Joe
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Great knife Joe. The bug bites. Real nice one.
Technically, from the old days thru 81' when discontinued, only the Stag 70' Proto and 71 production run of the proto with the etch are considered the only true Cheetahs by most serious CASE swing guard 11-1/2 collectors.
I do not get that technically crazy but some moron reamed me at a knife about 20 years ago. Told him to pound sand.

Besides those mentioned, 81' and prior I understand they just called them the "Case Swing Guard" as they were the only swing guard made besides the Tested 050 Big Coke as I recall. Not sure they continued that knife into XX era from memory.

Great pickup. By the way, the font on the pattern number switched in USA.That is the earlier one you have My guess is that when the change occurred, that when the 2 rare USA era factory errors were produced. So there are actually 4 variations of the CASE USA Swing Guard.

First mention I have heard about the Stilleto reference.

Hope that helps. My 2 cents.

Jerry
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks so much, Jerry.
Always nice to get your input on these great old knives. ::tu::

As I mentioned, I like the swing garde name.
Joe
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Glad to help Joe. I carry a swing guard usually daily as on of my two EDCs.
Actually as I recall, marketed as a hunting knife in one of my old CASE catalogs.
I will try to get all four USA era variations out for a pic in the near future.

Regards, Jerry
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That would be great.
Thanks Jerry. ::tu::
Joe
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

My first swing guard Case....
It needs a little bit of clean-up... (OK maybe a lot of clean-up) Not a lot of blade loss though.
Case Swing Guard 6111_1.JPG
Case Swing Guard 6111_2.JPG
Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Nice Mike. Love that late 70s CASE bone with the white and purplish accents.
Please post a pic when you get it cleaned up.
Jerry
Jcj02

Post by Jcj02 »

Hey Jerry, Thanks for pointing me in this direction. I was the one up in Central KY couple years ago where we spoke and I wear the GOT CHEETAH? shirts.

So SURELY someone here can get my prize piece together for me.
A TRUE RED CHEETAH
That's all I want in life : :roll:

**I CALL THEM ALL CHEETAHS AS ITS SIMPLER THAN EXPLAINING** I like all swing guards for most part

I will be getting my cheetahs together in the upcoming months but as I shared in the other thread here is what I have got in one place together so far. Love the swing guards!! Look forward to chatting with you all

I will be letting some of my 71's go soon. As I grab some additional green bones and also I am wanting another Mammoth Ivory should anyone have a spare. Looking for the bark look
green cheetah.jpg
reddish cheetah.jpg
reds cheetahs.jpg
stags cheetahs.jpg
table of cheetahs.jpg
Jcj02

Post by Jcj02 »

zp4ja wrote:Keep posting those knives!!!

Here is my red bone Factory Error (no model stamp) CASE XX USA 6111-1/2L. Now this is a CASE Red bone for sure. I love this knife. Amazing bone color in my opinion.

Regards, Jerry

Jerry

I need this. Please find it again lol....or one like it
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Jcj02 wrote:Hey Jerry, Thanks for pointing me in this direction. I was the one up in Central KY couple years ago where we spoke and I wear the GOT CHEETAH? shirts.

So SURELY someone here can get my prize piece together for me.
A TRUE RED CHEETAH
That's all I want in life : :roll:

**I CALL THEM ALL CHEETAHS AS ITS SIMPLER THAN EXPLAINING** I like all swing guards for most part

I will be getting my cheetahs together in the upcoming months but as I shared in the other thread here is what I have got in one place together so far. Love the swing guards!! Look forward to chatting with you all

I will be letting some of my 71's go soon. As I grab some additional green bones and also I am wanting another Mammoth Ivory should anyone have a spare. Looking for the bark look

green cheetah.jpgreddish cheetah.jpgreds cheetahs.jpgstags cheetahs.jpgtable of cheetahs.jpg
Hello JC,

Although it would be nice to meet and talk knives, that was not me that you met at the show in KY.

Thanks for reviving this thread and showing your beautiful CASE Swing Guards! On the true Cheetahs you posted, is there a 10 stag dot Proto in there?

Regards, Jerry

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”